Segno symbol

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
briansmith

Segno symbol

Post by briansmith » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Where can I found our how could I create the 'segno' symbol normaly associated with 'DC al segno'?

Many thanks in advance.

I've been a SCORE user for the last 35 years, and can't believe how powerful, easy and pleasant to use Dorico is...

pianoleo

Re: Segno symbol

Post by pianoleo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 pm

For now Dorico's still missing the functionality to place these things automatically. However, you can paste a segno from here as (Shift-X) text and then resize accordingly. https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/repeats.html

Frustratingly, if you have multiple parts/layouts/instruments you'll have to place it individually in each voice.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Unfortunately at the moment there's no built-in support for these kinds of repeat signs – they have to be created as text. Check this earlier post for more information. As of Dorico 1.1 you can use Shift+Alt+X to create system-attached text that will appear in every layout.

Binkeys

Post by Binkeys » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:54 am

It would be great if these symbols could be made native in Dorico, even if playback doesn't follow them (for now). It'd be so much easier than copy/pasting from a website which also means the size invariably needs adjusting. I use these a lot, so it'd be a big help to have the process easier.

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:48 pm

I think you can be fairly sure that eventually these text repeats will be implemented.
To quote the musical Hamilton: "Wait for it."
Dorico 1.1, Finale (v25.4), GPO, JABB3, GWI
Windows 7 (also Mac Sierra as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Binkeys

Post by Binkeys » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 am

Obviously, they will be implemented at some point. What I am suggesting is that they could be placed natively in the program as text BEFORE the coding to make Dorico play them back is written. IOW, I am proposing a two-step process. 1) Add these to Dorico as click-to-enter text options. 2) When development gets there, make them play back accurately.

It seems to me that the first step I'm suggesting ought to be relatively simple to implement quickly.

k_b

Post by k_b » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:54 am

Binkeys,
if you input the Segno symbol once via Shift-Alt-X: from then on just copy/paste in your score. That is quite simple too and works well for the mean time. You don't have to go to the webpage every time.

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Binkeys wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 am
It seems to me that the first step I'm suggesting ought to be relatively simple to implement quickly.
Maybe so, but there are hundreds of other things that need adding which also "ought to be relatively simple to implement quickly."

I don't know if Daniel ever sang Figaro's aria from "Barber of Seville", but the line "Uno alla volta, per carità!" seems quite appropriate ;)

thiagotiberio

Post by thiagotiberio » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Derrek wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:48 pm
To quote the musical Hamilton: "Wait for it."
Wait, isn't that from How I Met Your Mother? :D

Return to “Dorico”