Chord symbol on latter note in a tie

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
violyn

Chord symbol on latter note in a tie

Post by violyn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:22 am

I have discovered that you can't put a different chord symbol on the 2nd note in a tie. I have placed a note in a second voice and then have placed the new chord symbol on that note, and then delete the note. Thankfully, the chord symbol remains! Is this the easiest way to accomplish this? Thanks!

pianoleo

Re: Chord symbol on latter note in a tie

Post by pianoleo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:25 am

It's probably easier to untie the tie (by selecting the tie and pressing U) then inserting the chord symbol, then retying the note.
Bear in mind that with the chord symbol popover open you can use space bar to jump to the next beat (or tab to jump to the next bar), whether there's a note being played on that beat or not.
Last edited by pianoleo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 am

You sure can put a chord symbol on any note in a tie chain! Actually, chord symbols are attached to rhythmic positions rather than to individual notes, so you can put them litteraly everywhere.

As you can't select a single note in a tie chain in write mode, specify the rhythmic position of the new chord symbol as follows:
Advance the caret to the rhythmic position of the tied note in question, press Shift-Q and enter the chord symbol.
OR: Select any other chord symbol close to the rhythmic position, press enter to open the chord symbol pop-over and navigate to the desired rhythmic position with left or right arrow (this will move the pop-over to the next beat, note or grid position, whichever is closer).

Check out this excellent tutorial by the Dorico team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDM4aU_iUM

Edit: You were faster, Leo...

Second edit: Daniel, could the ability to move the chord symbol pop-over with the arrow keys also be applied to the dynamics pop-over?

pianoleo

Post by pianoleo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:44 am

Yes, but you were more helpful, fkretlow ;)
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:35 am

Florian, it's a good idea to be able to move the dynamics popover with the arrow keys too. We'll think about this for the future.

violyn

Post by violyn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 am

Thank you all for your advice. In poking around, I finally found out what my real trouble was. In looking at the chord settings in Engraving Options, I experimented with the "Show altered bass note only if identical chord symbol is within the following X bars/beats." I setting this to 0, it fixed the problem - prior to that, it was showing only the altered bass note, and not the chord letter along with it.

On another chord issue, I am afraid I will be showing my age, or ignorance, or both in asking the following question. I notice that it is only possible to use upper case letters for chords, no matter what their quality. I was trained eons ago to use lower case for minor and diminished chords, and upper case for major and augmented, etc. It seems that this practice is now antiquated, as I know that Sibelius seems to think everybody should be capitalized also. Did I miss something along the way that made the all upper case the current standard? It's not a huge deal, but Daniel, would there be a way that Dorico could allow the choice to use a chord symbol in its lower case form? Thanks. (I also vote for moving the dynamics popover with the arrow keys).

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 pm

We surveyed lots and lots (and lots!) of published sets of chord symbols and never encountered any system in which the quality of the chord is indicated by whether or not the root is in upper or lower case. Can you point me in the direction of any publications that use that scheme?

I think it's probably reasonably unlikely that we will support this kind of thing (unless there is a huge outcry for it, of course) but you'll be able to adjust the individual appearance of chord symbols in the forthcoming minor update, so you could take the time to set up all of the chord symbols that you habitually use and then save that as your default set for future projects. It won't be as quick to set up as clicking a couple of buttons in Engraving Options, but it will definitely be possible.

Return to “Dorico”