Chord symbols break MusicXML export from Dorico 1.1

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Post Reply
pianoleo
Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Chord symbols break MusicXML export from Dorico 1.1

Post by pianoleo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:53 pm

tl;dr: If you're exporting MusicXML from Dorico and it's a mess, try removing all your chord symbols and then re-exporting - it might help!

I'm aware that exporting MusicXML from Dorico is not something the developers have had a proper chance to work on, yet, and that there are a few old-ish posts on this forum regarding the shortfalls in the current implementation. I think I've just discovered something that hasn't been mentioned thus far.

Basically, when exporting MusicXML from Dorico a hidden rest is added to every place where there should be a chord symbol. I think the rest is the value of whatever the previous note was, but haven't tested extensively enough to know definitively. If I remove all the chord symbols everything (in this simple file) transfers pretty much exactly how I'd hope it to.

I have in front of me Dorico 1.1, Sibelius 8.5.0 (my free upgrades have run out), and Finale 2011 (which I only use for opening ancient files).

I've attached the zipped-up Dorico project but, to be honest, it's nothing special - it's a native Dorico 1.1 file with everything pretty much default.

Here's what I put into Dorico - it's intentionally really really simple:
Image

Here's how Sibelius renders it. Note I've not touched spacing, and view Hidden Objects is actually turned on. I can't see any way of making these bars rhythmically correct, but trust me, they don't play like 4/4 bars!
Image

Finale usefully shows me what Dorico's actually done (ignore the fact there are no accidentals; that's already been explained elsewhere and the solution is to run Canonic Utilities in Finale and clear frozen accidentals):
Image

Could fixing this maybe be added to the to-do list, please?
Attachments
chords test.dorico.zip
(264.68 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.2 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

User avatar
Daniel at Steinberg
Moderator
Posts: 5962
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: Chord symbols break MusicXML export from Dorico 1.1

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks for reporting this, Leo. The problem is that some embyronic chord symbol export code has been left in by mistake, and it's causing spurious forward/backup elements to be exported. Unfortunately we're not going to have time to work on exporting chord symbols to MusicXML in the immediate future, but we can remove this embryonic code, which should resolve the problem.

pianoleo
Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Chord symbols break MusicXML export from Dorico 1.1

Post by pianoleo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:39 am

As chord symbols don't seem to export anyway, filtering all chord symbols and hitting delete is really no inconvenience. Thought it might just help fellow users to know that, actually, Dorico's MusicXML export isn't too bad.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.2 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

Post Reply

Return to “Dorico”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MarcLarcher and 6 guests