Crash on "Transpose"

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
jsummerskvi

Crash on "Transpose"

Post by jsummerskvi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 am

When I select Transpose in the Write pull-down menu, Dorico (1.1.10) freezes up and has to be Force Quit.

Stephen Taylor

Re: Crash on "Transpose"

Post by Stephen Taylor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Hmm. I just this on four different files, including an orchestra piece and a microtonal piece in open meter, and I didn't have any crashes. Maybe if you upload a short file that exhibits this behavior, that would help.
Dorico 1.1, Sibelius 7.5, Logic Pro, Max, Kyma; MacOS Sierra
http://www.stephenandrewtaylor.net

jsummerskvi

Post by jsummerskvi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:19 pm

I tried to upload a file "Yagcilar Zeybek.dorico" and was not allowed to. I got a message "Invalid file extension."

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:53 pm

The forum software will not accept a ".dorico" extension. Zip the file first; then upload. (Proabably best to remove spaces from the filename too. That can cause problems on some Unix systems.)
Dorico 1.1.10, Finale (v25.4), GPO, JABB3, GWI
Windows 7 (also Mac Sierra as alternate)
US English Keyboard

jsummerskvi

Post by jsummerskvi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:04 pm

I hope I'm not the only one to see the irony in the Dorico forum not accepting .dorico files...
YagcilarZeybek.dorico.zip
(228.62 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Would I be right in thinking that the forum is common to all Steinberg products, and that this is the case because its administrators are - justifiably - extremely conscious of security?
jsummerskvi wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:04 pm
…the irony in the Dorico forum not accepting .dorico files…
--
Mark Sealey
Dorico 1.1.10/Ivory II/VSL/(Sibelius 8.6) on 'Late 2014' Retina 5K iMac; 4 GHz i7; 32 GB RAM; Sierra, 10.12.6

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for attaching your file, jsummerskvi. I can reproduce the problem, which is caused by a runaway calculation trying to calculate the appropriate divisions map for the key signature in your project. Unfortunately there won't be any kind of workaround for your project short of removing the custom key signature until we sort this out. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 pm

jsummerskvi, the 'D Hijaz' tonality system you've set up in this score uses 10-EDO. Can you tell me how you expect the divisions should be set for the various A-B, B-C, C-D, D-E, E-F, F-G steps in the Tonality System dialog? Because there are only 10 divisions, you can't give a larger value, e.g. 2, to the larger steps (A-B, C-D, D-E, F-G, G-A) and still have any values left over for the smaller steps (B-C, E-F), which you might expect to be 1 division, but of course that would give us 12-EDO rather than 10-EDO.

jsummerskvi

Post by jsummerskvi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Thank you, Daniel, for your response and pointing out that "'D Hijaz' tonality system you've set up in this score uses 10-EDO" but I'm sorry to say that I cannot tell you how I "expect the divisions should be set for the various A-B, B-C, C-D, D-E, E-F, F-G steps in the Tonality System dialog" because I have absolutely no idea what the "steps" mean, how to set them, nor what "EDO" is. The term does not exist in the Dorico Operation Manual. (Nor, for that matter, does the term "transpose".) Where can I go to get a step-by-step explanation of "EDO" and setting "steps"?
I'm quite pleased that I can create the non-Western key signatures that I use for Balkan music in Dorico, which are for all practical purposes next to impossible in Finale. However, I am not pleased that I cannot easily create a Bb part for a clarinettist.

Robby Poole

Post by Robby Poole » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 pm

If I understand it correctly, EDO stands for Equal Division of the Octave.
Dorico 1.1.10
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 pm

OK, provided you didn't mean anything in particular by the way you've set up the tonality system, then I can get you back in business. You should find that the attached version of your project allows you to transpose etc. with no problems. Let me know if you still run into any issues with it.
Attachments
YagcilarZeybek.dorico.zip
(322.86 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Return to “Dorico”