PDF Export changing page size

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
JosueViera

PDF Export changing page size

Post by JosueViera » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to export a score I created. I start using 9x12 paper (in Configuration mode) to write my score. When I get to the Print mode, turn to the Graphics tab, select Booklet in print style, and export it, I expect to get a PDF file with 18x12 pages organized in booklet form. What I actually get is a PDF file with 16x12 pages organized in booklet form. ALMOST what I'm aiming for, but not quite.

What am I doing wrong here?

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: PDF Export changing page size

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Is there a standard paper size that is 18"x12"? I'm not aware of one, unfortunately.

When you export a PDF using the 'Normal' job type, the PDF will use the page size as defined in Layout Options. But when you export using e.g. 'Booklet', then it'll use the paper size chosen for printing, and I guess the closest size you can choose for printing would be Tabloid, which is 11" x 17".

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:02 pm
Is there a standard paper size that is 18"x12"? I'm not aware of one, unfortunately.
Yes there is - it's ARCH B, from the US sizes used for architectural and other technical drawings.

ARCH A is 9x12 which is also used for music (e.g solo keyboard scores). The biggest size in the range is 36x48.

See https://www.archtoolbox.com/representat ... sizes.html

I don't know if the large ARCH sizes are readily available as cut sheets though. For technical drawings the paper is usually supplied on rolls for use with large high speed plotters not printers - e.g. 36 inches wide by 150 feet (!!) long.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for letting me know about these page sizes, Rob. We can add them to the list of presets available in Dorico's Layout Options dialog, but unfortunately this will probably not help in this specific situation.

What Josue might need to do is export the project using the "normal" job type, which should produce pages of 9" x 12", and then use another tool to produce an imposed PDF of the appropriate size. The PDF-BatchBooklet tool available from Philip Rothman's NYC Music Services page might do the trick.

JosueViera

Post by JosueViera » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am

So, in short, a 18x12 booklet will not be possible directly from Dorico, is that right?

JulianBennettHolmes

Post by JulianBennettHolmes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

I print on 12"x18" (known as Tabloid Oversize, or Tabloid Extra) paper all the time, making booklets, but I can't do it directly from Dorico, so I export the 9"x12" pages to PDF from Dorico, then use my printer driver to print a booklet on 12"x18". This works fine, but it does add an extra step.
Dorico 1.2.10 and macOS 10.13.3
http://julianbh.com/

JosueViera

Post by JosueViera » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 pm

JulianBennettHolmes wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm
[…] I export the 9"x12" pages to PDF from Dorico, then use my printer driver to print a booklet on 12"x18". This works fine, but it does add an extra step.
What's your printer brand and model?

JulianBennettHolmes

Post by JulianBennettHolmes » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:04 am

HP LaserJet 5200, and I highly recommend it. You can easily find used ones for a very reasonable price.
Dorico 1.2.10 and macOS 10.13.3
http://julianbh.com/

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 am

I recently experienced a problem on this front: I created a non-standard page size (half of a US legal sheet) so that I could do a 2up booklet on legal paper. Now Daniel mentioned above that the booklet feature defaults to the print size chosen. I tried to export the booklet as a PDF with legal size selected. While it will print just fine on legal paper, it will not export legal sized to PDF. The paper size is off in the PDF and when I try to print from the PDF outside of Dorico it results in very strange margins.

Return to “Dorico”