Automatic enharmonics

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
LAE

Automatic enharmonics

Post by LAE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi,

When I enter an f sharp with midi keyboard in a D major chord in the key of d minor, the program notates a G flat. How come? Top part c d, middle part a a, bass line f f#. But the f# is notated as g flat.

I think the algorithm should be clever enough to notate this correctly, shouldn't it?
Dorico 1.1
Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

pianoleo

Re: Automatic enharmonics

Post by pianoleo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Keep going!

I've found that sometimes it makes an odd decision based on the previous music, but unlike the other notation software it may change its mind after you've entered more notes. Don't stop and correct until you've got to the end of the section.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius 8.5, Logic Pro X, Dorico 1.1.10 etc.
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997)

L3B

Post by L3B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 pm

D minor is the relative minor of F major, which has a key signature of one flat. It makes sense to me that the software would assume an accidental in that context to be a flat unless it's clearly part of a triad that requires a sharp to make sense, which I don't think is true of your example, LAE.

If the passage in question clearly outlined a D major chord, I think the software WOULD input the F#. I could be wrong though, since I don't yet own Dorico to try my hypothesis out on.

--LB

LAE

Post by LAE » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 am

Well, it's clearly a D major chord. It does not matter if I keep going, it stays with G flat:

Maybe the reason for the choice is that the bass line moves chromatically, but seriously, if Dorico was a music theory student of mine I would have to have a serious conversation. No excuses here.
Attachments
enharmonics.PNG
(5.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dorico 1.1
Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 am

LAE wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 am
...but seriously, if Dorico was a music theory student of mine I would have to have a serious conversation. No excuses here.
:) Agreed.
How does Dorico decide when the two Fs in the top voice are Ds as well? Just curious...
Florian

LAE

Post by LAE » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 am

Hello,

I'll just add another example. The key is set to E minor. There is something fundamentally wrong with this algorithm. In this case, I would have been better of with a fixed spelling table for E minor. Come on... D and E flat in E minor, completely tonal music?

Attachments
enharmonics again.PNG
(10.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dorico 1.1
Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I will look into this when I get a chance and report back.

Return to “Dorico”