Remove Empty Staves for arbitrary page(s)

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
DatOrganistTho

Remove Empty Staves for arbitrary page(s)

Post by DatOrganistTho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 am

I'm looking to see if it is possible to remove empty staves for just a few pages... My layout would work great if I didn't have to have staves on two pages, but I want to have them on all the rest.

Is this even possible?

Derrek

Re: Remove Empty Staves for arbitrary page(s)

Post by Derrek » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am

Put a separate flow containing the empty measures/ staves onto those pages (and work the rest of your music around it). Then deselect all the players for that flow.
Dorico 1.1.10, Finale (v25.4), GPO, JABB3, GWI
Windows 10 (also Mac Sierra as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

There's a bit of a gross workaround to make empty staves show where you need them to, but it will have an impact on the splitting of multi-bar rests in the part layout, which may or may not be an acceptable trade-off.

Put a simple Shift+X text item, containing something like "X" or whatever, somewhere on the system where you want the otherwise empty staff to appear. Set the text to be transparent by editing its colour in the Properties panel. This will cause the staff to appear for that system.

LSalgueiro

Post by LSalgueiro » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am
There's a bit of a gross workaround to make empty staves show where you need them to, but it will have an impact on the splitting of multi-bar rests in the part layout, which may or may not be an acceptable trade-off.

Put a simple Shift+X text item, containing something like "X" or whatever, somewhere on the system where you want the otherwise empty staff to appear. Set the text to be transparent by editing its colour in the Properties panel. This will cause the staff to appear for that system.
Yes, but aren't transparent items currently showing up in the PDF export?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Not if you export the graphics in colour.

DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:31 am

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

This was helpful, as a trade-off. I appreciate this as an option to make it work! I'm overall very excited about this software, and haven't been this excited about music software since Musescore. :)

DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:32 am

Derrek wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am
Put a separate flow containing the empty measures/ staves onto those pages (and work the rest of your music around it). Then deselect all the players for that flow.
Thank you very much! This is useful too!

Return to “Dorico”