Multibar rest breaks apart with text

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
arco

Multibar rest breaks apart with text

Post by arco » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am

In my cello part, I have multibar rests enabled, but I need to put some text ("guitar", "vocal" etc.) above them for their reference. When I do this, the multibar rest breaks apart with a single measure appearing where the text appears. Is there a way for it to remain as it is?
Thanks.

fkretlow

Re: Multibar rest breaks apart with text

Post by fkretlow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 am

No, I think text objects will always break multibar rests. As a workaround you can input the text in the previous bar and reposition it manually in Engrave Mode.
Florian

Claude Lapalme

Post by Claude Lapalme » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Or use a text box during final formatting.
Just FYI, system text and tempo text don't break multirests. Also, the next update will include prefixes and suffixes to rehearsal marks. All of these are for global use, not local use, but I thought I'd chime in anyway!
Claude Lapalme - Conductor, Arranger, Orchestrator
Music Director @ Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
Artistic Director @ Rosa Barocca

musicmaven

Post by musicmaven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Claude Lapalme wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm
Or use a text box during final formatting.
Just FYI, system text and tempo text don't break multirests.
Dear Claude - they do for me, every time. In fact, if you need to break a multi-rest at some point, you can enter system text at any position and simply type a space (if you don't actually need text), and the multi-rest will break there. "Break" meaning splitting the multi-rest into 2 chunks. Of course this is something the OP does not want, but this capability exists.

Florian - great work-around idea!!!
Dorico 1.1.10, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, MuseScore 2, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61, CME Xkey 25-key Mobile Keyboard Controller

MarcLarcher

Post by MarcLarcher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Just to make sure you're on the same page, musicmaven and Claude, the latter wrote about system text (alt+shift+X) and not just text object (shift+X). Since he's been working so much with Dorico this year, I'm inclined to believe what he's written !
[Edit] Well, I tried, and you're right, musicmaven ! I apologize, system text DOES break multibar rests. But not exactly the same way than just a text object (when I tried, the first split a 9 bars rest in two, one multibar rest with 3 and one with 6. The second split the same place in three, one multibar rest of 3 bars, one bar with a bar rest and the text object and one multibar rest of 5 bars. Interesting difference.)
OS X 10.11.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and a sometimes music engraver
French is my native language

Claude Lapalme

Post by Claude Lapalme » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I apologize. What I meant, and poorly expressed, is that system text and tempo text do not break the FIRST bar of a rehearsal mark when input at that very spot, while staff text will. Any such system text that is engraved later on will of course split the multirest. I am very sorry to have created this confusion.
Claude Lapalme - Conductor, Arranger, Orchestrator
Music Director @ Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
Artistic Director @ Rosa Barocca

musicmaven

Post by musicmaven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks to all of you! This is great information to have. Claude - no apologies necessary. I hope to get closer to mastering Dorico as much as you and Marc have. I am equally impressed with Dorico's functionality as well as forum members who help one another out, through discovery, knowledge, sharing of techniques, and experiences.

Dorico's sophistication can sometimes be puzzling to figure out, and until the documentation gets done, all of these nuances get documented through user's discovery and sharing of those experiences.
Dorico 1.1.10, Finale 1.0 through Finale 97, Sibelius 2-7.5, Notion 5.2, MuseScore 2, iMac, MacBook Air, Oxygen 61, CME Xkey 25-key Mobile Keyboard Controller

Return to “Dorico”