Guitar TAB and Chord diagrams

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
andgle

Re: Guitar TAB and Chord diagrams

Post by andgle »

Daniel stated the following on the official Dorico blog yesterday:
We said last year that releasing a major new version in late spring or early summer would be our preference, but the features we are working on at the moment, which span all areas of the software, are sufficiently large that the next major release is not scheduled for the first half of this year.
Anders

John at Steinberg
Steinberg Employee

Post by John at Steinberg »

Ceastman,

I'm not sure which country you are in, but are you in touch with anybody from the Steinberg sales team? If not, please get in touch with me on j.barron@steinberg.de

Thank you

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

… the next major release is not scheduled for the first half of this year.
I can think of software developers where that would be marketing-speak for "we might release something just before Christmas if we get lucky, but don't bet on it."

But Daniel's statements don't usually need that sort of interpretation :)

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

Presumably there is a benefit to releasing Dorico 3 in time for the upcoming school year this fall if the new features can be completed and tested; so I have my fingers crossed for a July or August release.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Derrek wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:40 pm
Presumably there is a benefit to releasing Dorico 3 in time for the upcoming school year this fall if the new features can be completed and tested; so I have my fingers crossed for a July or August release.
I know that this precise scenario has been thrown around the forum a few times and it seems rather plausible. It is my hope as well.
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

cparmerlee

Post by cparmerlee »

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:42 am
To be sure I understand, can I just clarify that when you say “tuning editor” you want to be able to specify not only the number of strings for an instrument (“string amount editor”) but also the starting pitch, and possibly even the arrangement of frets for each string?
Dare I mention banjo? I believe what you described would work or banjo.

Now, can we talk about the bagpipe? :)
Dorico 3, Cubase 10.5, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio i/f
http://sonocrafters.com/

Knut Nergaard

Post by Knut Nergaard »

aleos wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:35 am
rschletty wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:46 pm
I need guitar chord diagrams now. I am trying to make a clean break from Sibelius to Dorico. Together with my associates André van Haren and Anthony Moran, we are publishing original hymns and psalms at insong.org and topcatholicsong.com. We are using both standard guitar chords and solfege (do-re-mi) chords. Please make guitar chord diagrams a top "numero uno" priority. You have many praise and worship musicians out here in the world awaiting.
I'm so pleased now with Dorico, after a year of semi-frustration, and my annoying complaining, now I'm in love. Making beautiful scores in it. Well done to the team. Thank you.

I as well still need to have Sibelius on my desk, and cant switch fully to Dorico because of the chord diagram option ( I think it's the final holdout!).
For educational purposes, which I write alot of, it is essential. Also, when the chord diagram boxes come in, it would be great if they wouldn't be limited to one finger per string, as I think Sibelius did in an early release. These boxes are used by us guitarists not only for chords, but for scale positions as well. It is essential that we can put multiple fingerings in these boxes, on the same string.
Another, less essential feature, but one that would surely grab a small but dedicated slice of the market, is the option for different symbols on the strings. The late, great guitarist and teacher, Ted Greene, used to use different symbols in his chord charts to indicate a possible different fingering, or a melodic move inside a harmonic context. Usually it was 'o' and 'x' that he would add in, to indicate the next place to put your finger.
He usually wrote it out by hand, but here is someone's transcription of it in notation software: https://www.tedgreene.com/images/lesson ... -12-18.pdf
Doesn't necessarily need to be Xs and Os, but some symbols of showing where to put the finger next. numbers would also be great, but might get confusing as it might get mixed up with fingering and/or scale degree or chord tone.

Thanks for everything!
I just want to throw my support behind all this and expand with a couple other aspects of Ted Greene's (TG) chord diagrams which would greatly improve upon Dorico's current implementation:

1. The ability to place the fret number next to any row in the diagram can be very helpful in deciphering voicings with large stretches, or where you want to highlight the fret with the bass note, even when it might not be at the bottom fret. This is something quite frequently seen in TG's diagrams. He even sometimes numbered both the bottom and top fret of a voicing, which is helpful, but not quite as necessary in the context of chords. For the purpose of scales, though, should Dorico's chord diagrams ever be equipped to handle those as well, numbering multiple frets might be a more essential feature.

2. Occasionally, Ted placed dots and other fingering symbols below the diagram, so as to extend it without the need for an additional row. This may seem insignificant, but nevertheless gives a more consistent look to diagrams on a page, given that there are few voicings spread over more than six frets.

Lastly I'd like to request the option to use roman numerals for fret numbers. Although frequently employed in scale diagrams, these are only occasionally seen in chord diagrams, most likely due to their requirement of additional horizontal space. Nevertheless, since fret numbers/positions are otherwise most commonly referred to in guitar notation by way of roman numerals, I think they should be available for this purpose as well.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

In the next update you will be able to use Roman numerals for fret numbers, and to specify at which fret the fret number should appear.

Knut Nergaard

Post by Knut Nergaard »

That's great, Daniel.
Thanks!

Return to “Dorico”