Invisible random key-switches

When all else fails in dealing with more complex plugins that require a lot of ‘key-switches’…I simply create what I’ll call a ‘supplemental playback stave’.

I personally just make a fresh new ‘key-switch’ stave from an instrument using a clef/range as close to the needed key-switches as possible. I’ll use this new stave to draw in my key-switches directly as if they are notes on a page. By keeping them on a stave of their own, it’s easy to isolate them to specific score Layouts, or even filter them in and out of sight in our write and engrave views.

Since Dorico provides an interesting drum kit building system, one might also experiment with using a percussion stave as a visually pleasant/organized medium for serving up this sort of playback information as well, since that presents a lot of options on how one might keep key-switches displayed and organized on the master score. Over a little time, I could create the ultimate ‘control stave’ for dropping supplemental playback information easily into my work-flow.

In the play tab, I direct my special new stave to the relevant plugin and channel needing the key-switches.

When I get ready to design my layout and such for engraving, I have some options in terms of how to ‘hide’ my ‘special playback staves’ from being included in the engraving.

One way is to simply create a custom score layout that doesn’t include these special ‘supplemental playback’ staves. When working with that Layout, if I start the score playing, obviously the key-switches will be missing from the playback-stream and their effects will not be heard.

It’s also possible to enter Engrave mode, and set up Master Page filters that will hide the ‘supplemental playback’ staves while still allowing them to be ‘heard’ when playing things back. In ‘galley view’ one can still see and work with such ‘filtered’ staves…