Dorico 2 Pro - cannot get video import to work

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
robjohn9999

Re: Dorico 2 Pro - cannot get video import to work

Post by robjohn9999 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:41 am

If this helps: I DID notice that opening the video file was less reliable when dragging it from an external drive (I kept getting that it didn't accept the file format until I moved the video file to the main hard drive). Also: once dragging the video file onto the session in Play Mode, there's a very noticeable pause before anything actually happens (took me a while to realize this)...
- D.D.
2015 MacBook Pro with 16 GB ram; Apogee Ensemble 88; Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:55 am

The pause will depend on the size of the video file: Dorico has to demux the audio track(s) from the video as it attaches it, so that the audio can be played back by the audio engine.

Carter123

Post by Carter123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:37 am

get something like formatfactory (free), and keep trying different formats / settings. eventually something will work. it's the only 'solution' i've found. and yes it sometimes takes up half the time scoring to the damned video.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
FaceTime App
Last edited by Carter123 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Our video team recommend that you use a piece of software called MediaInfo to find out the crucial metadata about a given video file, and consult our compatibility information for which formats are supported (the formats are common between Cubase, Nuendo, and Dorico).

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Dorico

Terry Jones

Post by Terry Jones » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:33 am

For what it's worth Carter123 I ended up using this program (on PC) to convert my files to H264 MP4 format (I also mentioned it on the previous page of this thread):

https://audiospot.audio/audiospot-creativetools

Image[/url]

I think it's also worth mentioning that one of my original issues (file not recognised as compatible) was probably caused by file naming limitations within Dorico itself at the time which have now been resolved. :)

Kerz

Post by Kerz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi There,

Does anyone have a solution for the latest version of MacOS Mojave? I'm using a MacBook Pro 2019 15" with 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, something like a 4.2GHz processor and the latest version of Dorico. I have to right-click on the Dorico icon, show all windows, movie just to get it to show the window. Then, no matter what I do, it's just black when I try to play through the score to get it to work. The video I'm working with is a screen recording taken on my Mac, so uses the default Mac movie format and title.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:10 am

The problem may be that if you close the video window by clicking the red traffic light button in its corner, it won't then work correctly again when you reopen it; this is a bug that's on our list to fix. Instead, use the key command to open and close the window, or the button on Dorico's toolbar, and that should keep it working correctly.

Kerz

Post by Kerz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks Daniel - it worked!

However, just a little feature request: In order for the movie window not to be in the way all the time, (but so you can still see it whilst writing) could you have it so you can minimise it into one of the side toolbars (like a dedicated movie thing, perhaps under the video tab, where it says "properties"?). I'm thinking along the lines of how video works in Apple's Logic Pro X. I think it would be very useful, unless there is already a way to do this that I don't know about.

Thanks again,

Kerz

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:52 am

That would be quite difficult to do technically at the moment with the way the video engine and Dorico work together, but it's something we should look at as the software evolves.

Return to “Dorico”