Stream Deck macro keypad

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Philip R

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Philip R »

I'll jump in and say that touch is key for speed and accuracy. Think about touch-typing a regular keyboard or a calculator (or a piano or MIDI keyboard, for that matter). You can't achieve that with a screen unless you are always looking at it.

That's not to say the mobile version is without its advantages; chiefly, you have the device with you all the time. And of course the price of only the app vs. a dedicated Stream Deck. If you only use it for a few buttons at a time, mobile could be the better option.

I think Dan and maybe others have said something similar earlier in this very long but helpful thread :D

eboats

Post by eboats »

Just looking at this thread, I'm always looking for ways to speed up the laborious process of composing into notation software, and am wondering whether I should give this a try. In other programs like Cubase, I can create a custom key command for just about anything, including Macros for multi step things, and work fast with a key command based workflow (very little mouse). I have created a lot of custom key commands for things in Dorico and don't mind doing that.

It seems like the Stream Deck is a bit of a workaround for Dorico not having some features to speed up workflow... like full Macro support (to handle multi step processes with a single command) and the ability to create custom key commands for everything you need to do (including macros). Adding dynamics, bowings etc in Dorico require a lot of steps and haven't found a way to speed that up, so perhaps this would help.

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider »

eboats wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:35 pm
Just looking at this thread, I'm always looking for ways to speed up the laborious process of composing into notation software, and am wondering whether I should give this a try. In other programs like Cubase, I can create a custom key command for just about anything, including Macros for multi step things, and work fast with a key command based workflow (very little mouse). I have created a lot of custom key commands for things in Dorico and don't mind doing that.

It seems like the Stream Deck is a bit of a workaround for Dorico not having some features to speed up workflow... like full Macro support (to handle multi step processes with a single command) and the ability to create custom key commands for everything you need to do (including macros). Adding dynamics, bowings etc in Dorico require a lot of steps and haven't found a way to speed that up, so perhaps this would help.
Dynamics: I'm not sure how you could make them faster than the existing popovers.

Bowings: DEFINITELY faster with a Stream Deck.

There are other functions I use regularly, like filters, special characters, etc.

I even have a macro set up to take a selected note and duplicate it in unison in a downstem voice. Seems random, but I'm using it constantly.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com
Dorico training: dankreider.com/dorico
Dorico 3.5.11, Windows 10

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider »

Just curious: has anyone been experiencing some ergonomic issue with the Stream Deck? I've been using the XL 6-8 hours a day, left hand constantly on it. Wrist position is pretty awkward. I removed the stand, which helped.

Is anyone using some sort of gel wrist-rest? I feel like a wimp, but it does start to hurt.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com

steveparker

Post by steveparker »

Switch left and right hands every half hour - good for the brain too!

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider »

steveparker wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:30 pm
Switch left and right hands every half hour - good for the brain too!
And left hand on the trackball??
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com

steveparker

Post by steveparker »

Yes. I was only half joking - I've always used both hands equally whether mousing, entering notes on keyboard, or thumping the screen in frustration.

sjanssens

Post by sjanssens »

I'm having a problem with my Stream Deck and Dorico. Dorico doesn't respond to any keystrokes from my Stream Deck profile. I downloaded the Notation Express demo and have the same issue. The Steam Deck works perfectly with other apps and if I use the Dorico profiles with Word, the keystrokes appear as expected. So it seems Dorico is the culprit. Is there anything I've missed? I'm hoping I missed something stupid before trying to reinstall Dorico. Specs: Windows 10, Dorico 3, both up to date.

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

Hmm. There's nothing in the demo that requires non-standard shortcuts, so it can't be that you've missed a step in the installation process.
I guess the obvious questions are:
1. Are you definitely running the Dorico demo profile, not the Sibelius demo profile?
2. Is it definitely the correct Mac/Windows flavour of the profile?
3. Have you already customised (replaced) key commands within Dorico?

and the less obvious question is:
4. Do the buttons in the View/Mode/Options panel function correctly within Dorico?
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Philip R

Post by Philip R »

Another question: Is both your computer and Dorico set to English language?

sjanssens

Post by sjanssens »

pianoleo: I'm certain this isn't a Notation Express issue. I'm definitely running the Windows Dorico profile. I have not altered/added any default key commands. The View/Mode/Option buttons do not work via my Stream Deck, although the key commands function fine from my keyboard.

Philip R: A good question as I did have an IME installed and it sometimes switches to Japanese unexpectedly. I set the keyboard setting in Dorico to English (was Default) and uninstalled the IME/Japanese language pack (and restarted). Issue still persists.

Other things I've tried or noticed:

I uninstalled and reinstalled Dorico 3 Pro. It remembered preferences so this wasn't entirely a full uninstall. Not sure how to do that. The prior install was an in-place update from Dorico 2. I'm not sure if this is relevant but if I select Help -> Check for Updates, I'm taken to the Dorico 2 Updates web page. Help -> About shows Dorico Pro 3 version 3.0.0.1038.

I noticed that while most key commands work fine within Dorico when using my keyboard, the Layout Options key command (Ctrl+Shift+L) does not work from my keyboard. Preferences (Ctrl+,) and other assorted options work fine. I have not noticed any other malfunctioning key commands from my keyboard.

The Stream Deck is plugged into a USB port on my keyboard. I tried plugging it into a USB port directly off the motherboard but no change in behavior.

Whatever the issue is, it seems to be in Dorico as the Stream Deck is sending keystrokes. I can see the printable characters in a notepad app. The dynamics key commands show up as Df, D>, etc.

ETA: This might be a Steinberg issue for me. I started making a profile for Cubase and I see the same behavior (I tried both the standard hotkey and the downloaded add-in from trevligaspel). Key commands work from keyboard but not the Stream Deck. Other apps such as Excel work as expected with the Stream Deck.

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

Help > Check for updates pointing to Dorico 2 is a known bug, and it’s not relevant.

If you set the Notation Express profile as the Default Profile within the Stream Deck software, does that make any difference?
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.

sjanssens

Post by sjanssens »

Thanks for you efforts pianoleo, but still no dice. I also tried toggling whether the profile was associated with the application or not, but no difference.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

sjanssens, you should update to Dorico 3.0.10. You can find the updater here.

sjanssens

Post by sjanssens »

Silly me, I forgot to update after reinstalling, but no difference.

delgado

Post by delgado »

dankreider wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Just curious: has anyone been experiencing some ergonomic issue with the Stream Deck? I've been using the XL 6-8 hours a day, left hand constantly on it. Wrist position is pretty awkward. I removed the stand, which helped.

Is anyone using some sort of gel wrist-rest? I feel like a wimp, but it does start to hurt.
I use two regular and one XL decks, and have removed them from their stands/housings, to clamp them into gooseneck holders like this one https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Gooseneck ... J68MMHNV7B
very handy as you can accomodate every new visual feedback/ergonomic requirement on the fly, and it's not cramming the real estate of whatever you have below your monitors (desk or keyboard)- the stream decks float exactly where you need them, and adjust with a flick of the hand.
i7 4930k/P9X79/32GB DDR3 RAM
RME 9632 PCI on PCIe slot (bridged)
Icon ProG2, Contour Shuttle controllers
Cubase 10, Samplitude ProX4 Suite
Dorico 3, Sib 2019,
Win10pro 64bit

Philip R

Post by Philip R »

sjanssens: Are there any other applications or processes running that would be intercepting the Stream Deck commands, such as a gaming application? Can you open Resource Monitor and quit everything that might be running in the background?

I might also suggest contacting Elgato support directly, if you haven't done so already, to see if they have an idea what the issue could be.

sjanssens

Post by sjanssens »

Issue resolved. I had been launching Dorico (and Cubase) as an administrator. Not doing so resolves the issue.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it! Happy new year!

Philip R

Post by Philip R »

Great! Noted for the future.

ericmusicstrasbourg

Post by ericmusicstrasbourg »

you can speed up the workflow with cubazen and a touch screen. there is a demo version for cubase and nuendo

https://sellfy.com/zendaw

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

ericmusicstrasbourg wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:22 pm
you can speed up the workflow with cubazen and a touch screen. there is a demo version for cubase and nuendo

https://sellfy.com/zendaw
You certainly could, but this is the Dorico forum.

ericmusicstrasbourg

Post by ericmusicstrasbourg »

oups!!! sorry

eboats

Post by eboats »

When I press buttons on my Stream Deck XL, the stand slides back a bit. The base doesn't seem to be sticky enough. Do you all use the stand or take the stand off? Trying to figure out the best ergonomics for using it with my left hand.

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider »

eboats wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 am
When I press buttons on my Stream Deck XL, the stand slides back a bit. The base doesn't seem to be sticky enough. Do you all use the stand or take the stand off? Trying to figure out the best ergonomics for using it with my left hand.
Hmm, I’ve found the XL to be an improvement in this regard.

I do use the 45-degree stand that comes with it. The ergonomics are lousy (carpal tunnel, anyone?), but it seems to be the best setup.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

I wonder what the long term reliability of Stream Deck used for an app like Dorico will be.

If you use it to control cameras etc for live streaming (which is was designed for) you probably only press a button every few minutes on average, not every few seconds.

Return to “Dorico”