Page 1 of 1

Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:40 pm
by Garrison4
I am having a very strange problem.

I am working on a large orchestral projects with multiple flows. In the fourth flow, the trombone 2 part is completely broken. If I add notes to the trombone two part, Dorico crashes. If I select multiple instruments and choose Edit>Remove Rests, they aren't removed from the Trombone 2 part.

But this same player functions fine in other flows. I even created a third trombone player, then deleted the old second trombone player. And the problem persists with this new "Trombone 2." I've restored default play templates… I am really at a loss for what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 pm
by dankreider
In Setup mode, click to select the offending trombone part on the left panel. Are all flows along the bottom panel checked to add the trombone part to them?

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:48 pm
by Garrison4
dankreider wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 pm
In Setup mode, click to select the offending trombone part on the left panel. Are all flows along the bottom panel checked to add the trombone part to them?
Yes. The Trombone part is there and appearing fine. It is selected to appear in all the flows it's supposed to appear in. It just isn't functioning.

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 pm
by dankreider
It's not a diagnosis of course, but you could try exporting only that flow to a new project and trying it there. If it works correctly, you could re-import it as a new flow to your original project.

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:04 am
by Garrison4
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, and for whatever reason, I was still unable to enter material for the trombone.

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 am
by dankreider
That is strange. Sorry. I don't want to speak for the development team, but the next thing they'd ask for is for you to post the project file here so others can try their hand at fixing it (you have to zip it first).

You can trim it down a bit, even reduce it to its smallest form that can be replicated (ie, just the offending flow and the offending part, or delete all the other bars).

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:30 am
by Garrison4
So in reducing it down to just the instrument, the problem persisted, but I found that by deleting bars I could force the part to work. I have no idea why this worked, but I just added and deleted a bar at the end of the flow and its working now. Absolute weirdest thing ever. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Re: Broken Trombone 2

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:55 pm
by Daniel at Steinberg
If you want us to look into this any further, please fish out one of the saved backups from the Backup Projects folder inside your Dorico Projects folder, zip it up and attach it here, and we'll take a look to see if we can spot what's causing the problem.