Replay repeats not replaying first ending after D.C.

I have added a Da Capo to a section of music containing repeat endings. However when playing back only the second (last) ending is played after the Da Capo. I have tried to activate the “Replay repeats” on the Da Capo but it does not help.
What may be wrong?
I’m using Dorico Elements 3 so I don’t have any global playback options as far as I know.

Welcome to the forum, janer. In Dorico Elements you don’t have access to the Playback Options dialog, which is where the option to specify whether or not repeats should be played after a repeat jump is located. If you zip up and attach your project here, I’ll gladly toggle this option for you in Dorico Pro and then return your project to you.

I have a similar issue with Dorico Pro 3.5. I created a “D.S. al Coda con rep” sign, that jumps to the first reprise, and there is a jump to the Coda section in the middle of the first reprice. In this “D.S. al Coda con rep” -text I activated the “Replay repeats” -toggle, but after jumping to the segno, dorico jumps to the coda immediately.

Welcome to the forum, Matti. Could you attach a simple version of your project with the offending repeat structure in it, so we can take a look?

Vanhan omenapuun varjossa.dorico (615.8 KB)

I have had a look at your project but have been unable to fix the issue. I even tried removing the brackets for the 1st- and 2nd-time endings, as I had found with someone else’s project a few weeks ago that repeats with alternative endings did not repeat after a D.C./D.S. (ie they went straight into the 2nd-time endings) but “normal” repeats did. That made no difference in your project. In your case, after the D.S. the playback doesn’t even get to the repeat sign at the end of the repeated section.

The amount of music played on the D.S. before jumping to the Coda is only 10 bars. Instead of having a D.S., I would be tempted to insert 10 bars between bar 28 and bar 29, and copy-paste those 10 bars of music in there.

I disagree with @StevenJones01 . I think this file plays back exactly as I would expect it to. There are no repeats between the the segno and the jump to coda, so nothing to repeat.

I take @Janus’s point, but the project has the following settings in Playback Options and Properties. What effect should they have on the playback?

Prop

To flesh out what you said, it appears then that if the To Coda marking is after the repeat barline (at the end of the repeated section), the repeat should happen on the D.S.

Consider:

With play repeats on DS, bars 2-5 will be repeated after the jump to the segno had occurred (normal convention is that repeats are not played on DS/DC). Irrespective of the play repeats state, the 2nd section will not repeat after the segno jump as it will immediately jump to coda.

1 Like

I’ve recently come across this issue as well. Is this on anyone’s to-do list?