VST Real-Time Peak performance varies on track selection

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
pongthrob

VST Real-Time Peak performance varies on track selection

Post by pongthrob » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 am

This is something I noticed in C8.5 but also carries over to C9. The following problem exists in both versions.

I've optimized my system to increase maximum Real-Time latency performance, yet when a reasonable amount of plugs are used, the real-time peak meter starts slamming and creating dropouts etc.

But the problem only exists if an Instrument track (also Sampler track in C9) is *selected*. See attached pics.. these are from the same project and it makes no difference if the song is playing or not. The only difference between the 2 pics is that where the meter is slamming an instrument track is *selected* and active.

Again just to clarify, the project plays just dandy if an instrument track isn't selected, even with instrument tracks *playing*. But as soon as you *select* an instrument track.. even if the song is stopped... SLAMMO on the Real-Time peak meter.

Any ideas on this? Could this be nothing more than the result of a specific preferences setting I haven't thought of?

Graham
Non-Instrument track.JPG
(25.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Instrument track.JPG
(24.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: VST Real-Time Peak performance varies on track selection

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 am

Hi,

This is expected. By default, Cubase enable Record on the selected track. So the track is processed different way, because Cubase expects you will record some data (so play back the data in the real time). This is the reason.

If you disable Record on the track manually, or if you disable the Preferences, the Real-Time Peak will not go up, when you select the track.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 am

That would be the asio guard working it's magic
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

zyguli

Post by zyguli » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:05 am

Selected tracks are always calculated in real time and ASIO guard doesn't work on them.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:13 am

zyguli wrote:Selected tracks are always calculated in real time and ASIO guard doesn't work on them.
Exactly!
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:49 am

zyguli wrote:Selected tracks are always calculated in real time and ASIO guard doesn't work on them.
Not always... If you switch the mentioned Preferences Off, then there is no need.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Might be the retrospective record.

If you are using Cubase's ability to background record on selected tracks even when not recording from the transport, you will have a performance hit when that instrument track is selected.
Command/Ctrl * will dump out the buffered midi (see the Op Manual for more info on Retrospective Record)
You can find this setting in Preferences -> Record -> MIDI -> Retrospective Record

Try disabling it and see if your issue persists.
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10, Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus2, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, SynchroArts Revoice Pro, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 1803 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 512gb Samsung 950 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:03 pm

fretthefret wrote:Might be the retrospective record.

If you are using Cubase's ability to background record on selected tracks even when not recording from the transport, you will have a performance hit when that instrument track is selected.
Command/Ctrl * will dump out the buffered midi (see the Op Manual for more info on Retrospective Record)
You can find this setting in Preferences -> Record -> MIDI -> Retrospective Record

Try disabling it and see if your issue persists.
Interesting idea... I soulad say, Cunase caltures just the raw MIDI data, and you can "paste" it where ever you want to later. I would be surprised, if the VSTi is taken in account here.

But might be, I'm wrong.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Return to “General”