Double-click Intermittently Works in Cubase 9 / macOS

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
fgimian

Re: Double-click Intermittently Works in Cubase 9 / macOS

Post by fgimian » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Just tested this again with a fresh Sierra install using the very latest version of both Sierra and Cubase 9. The issue is sadly still present. I also managed to crash Cubase using plugins which are very stable in El Capitan too, so I think that the double click issue (for me) would be just one of the hurdles involved in upgrading to Sierra.
Software & Audio Interface: Cubase 9.5.30 x64 / macOS Mojave / Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2015 i7 2.6 GHz 16 GB RAM 512 GB PCIe SSD + Samsung T3 2 TB USB 3 SSD

extralife

Post by extralife » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 am

Well I STILL haven't had a response from YAMAHA Australia.

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm

extralife wrote:Well I STILL haven't had a response from YAMAHA Australia.
Same mate :(
Software & Audio Interface: Cubase 9.5.30 x64 / macOS Mojave / Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2015 i7 2.6 GHz 16 GB RAM 512 GB PCIe SSD + Samsung T3 2 TB USB 3 SSD

extralife

Post by extralife » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:07 am

I've seriously had it. I have been using Logic since this problem began and over the last few days I have been trying to use Cubase again because I do love elements of it. Double clicking is imperative. I just cannot work with out it. This is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that Cubase is running terribly on my system (actually same specs as yours fgimian) with absurd CPU usage making my machine run hot even when Cubase is just sitting idle.

To add insult to injury I get no response from YAMAHA/Steinberg Australia support. What kind of company is this? I have spent $800 dollars on this software and if I don't receive some kind of support I will be contacting the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and demanding a refund. This is beyond unacceptable.

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 am

extralife wrote:I've seriously had it. I have been using Logic since this problem began and over the last few days I have been trying to use Cubase again because I do love elements of it. Double clicking is imperative. I just cannot work with out it. This is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that Cubase is running terribly on my system (actually same specs as yours fgimian) with absurd CPU usage making my machine run hot even when Cubase is just sitting idle.

To add insult to injury I get no response from YAMAHA/Steinberg Australia support. What kind of company is this? I have spent $800 dollars on this software and if I don't receive some kind of support I will be contacting the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and demanding a refund. This is beyond unacceptable.
Good luck buddy. My final suggestion would be to call them, you can reach them during business hours.

For what it's worth, Cubase runs like a dream on El Capitan for me, I highly suggest downgrading if you can, it's worth it. What sort of plugins are you running and what audio interface?

I'm on a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt interface with a pretty select set of plugins. I can provide more info if it helps.

I wish I got on with Logic Pro, but it really lacks in the audio editing department.

extralife

Post by extralife » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:30 pm

fgimian wrote:
extralife wrote:I've seriously had it. I have been using Logic since this problem began and over the last few days I have been trying to use Cubase again because I do love elements of it. Double clicking is imperative. I just cannot work with out it. This is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that Cubase is running terribly on my system (actually same specs as yours fgimian) with absurd CPU usage making my machine run hot even when Cubase is just sitting idle.

Good luck buddy. My final suggestion would be to call them, you can reach them during business hours.

For what it's worth, Cubase runs like a dream on El Capitan for me, I highly suggest downgrading if you can, it's worth it. What sort of plugins are you running and what audio interface?

I'm on a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt interface with a pretty select set of plugins. I can provide more info if it helps.

I wish I got on with Logic Pro, but it really lacks in the audio editing department.
I didn't even see a phone number. Amazingly, I received a reply almost straight away today. I just sent them some screens shots of my CPU usage issues and info.

Actually you've just reminded me I forgot to tell them I'm on Sierra.

I'm using a Babyface. The CPU problem points squarely at Addictive Drums 2. I notice it is quite high in Logic also. It get's really high when I open the AD2 GUI. But where it's high in Logic at like 50-60%. It is at 128% in Cubase! Obviously AD2 is an issue but I can manage it in Logic by closing the GUI where it runs at about 30%. In Cubase with the GUI closed it's still at 80-90%.

But the mouse thing? It is driving me spare.

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 am

The mouse thing is a huge HUGGGGGEEE problem. I just don't know how to get Steinberg's attention on this one. I will follow up YAMAHA again today. Extremely disappointed by this experience and am in utter disbelief that this bug got through beta testers and Sierra qualification.

FYI YAMAHA Australia's number is 1300 739 390, then wait to speak to an operator and ask for Steinberg technical support. It seems that a fella by the name of Jarrod is the main one providing Steinberg support so you will likely be put through to him if you call.

For what it's worth, Cubase 9 is (in almost all ways) a superior DAW to Logic Pro X (imho) so it is worth getting it going, even if you have to go back to El Capitan and/or chase up issues with specific plugins. I have found the performance to be incredible with ASIO Guard now, I can literally hit 100% CPU and still not get dropouts.

With the exception of this clicking issue, almost all my other crashes are plugin related and various companies have acknowledged them as plugin bugs too. So very likely you are in the same boat.

Based on my experience, the AU spec is a bit tighter than the VST spec, and that could be a reason why some plugins are more stable in Logic Pro X.

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 am

Hey guys, just had a chat to Jarrod from YAMAHA support. He suggested we provide full details of our hardware configuration as this issue appears to affect certain Macs and not others. It is also possible that this is indeed a bug or
change introduced by Apple that may need to be addressed by Apple instead of Steinberg.

Further to this, Steinberg are after a step by step as to where you can reproduce the issue on your system. All this info will help them determine if there's something in common with all our affected systems and get to the bottom of it.

I'll start getting further information together shortly, but if you guys can also do the same too, that would be awesome!

leroo

Post by leroo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 pm

hmpark wrote:Hello.
I had the exact same issue.
I use a Magic Mouse 1 as well.
Double clicking was very hard, nearly impossible in Cubase 8.5.
Also, there were some strange behaviors outside of Cubase as well.

I NO LONGER HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!!

This might sound crazy but......
Try your mouse on a surface that is not Black leather veneer or Paper white.

This really worked for me. I am not joking.

Sincerely,

Looks like it's working...
Weird cause Cubase is the only software that show this problem
Late 2013 iMac i7 ssd
OSX 10.12.6
Steinberg UR44
Cubase 9.5.30

MikeAsh

Post by MikeAsh » Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm

For the record my Magic Mouse double click issues still exist after the 9.0.20 update.
Anyone else?

Norman Kolodziej

Post by Norman Kolodziej » Thu May 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Same here...

groselicain

Post by groselicain » Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 am

Same here, just started this week. I had just updated to Sierra, so I thought that was the issue. Searched, found all of you. Sheesh.
Mac Pro running OSX Sierra 10.12.6, 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Cubase 9.5.30 Build 192 (64 bit)

Thal

Post by Thal » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Ok guys. I am on a pc, windows 7 ultimate, cubase 9.0.20 PRO and i am about to lose my mind here.
Double click on a heavy project just doesnt work most of the time. Double clicking a midi track mostly doesnt work, i have to click 4 times.
Hitting the pre/post fader on the send sometimes doesnt work, respond, i have to click till it works.
I am losing time and patience with this bug.
All the best,
Thal

Windows 7 Ultimate
Cubase Pro 9.5.30
Mr816X
i7 8700k

Roelfie

Post by Roelfie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

TRY SOLID SURFACE. (Cubase 9 Artist - 9.0.20 - MacOS Sierra - Magic Mouse Double Click Issue)

The double click issue was extremely irritating.
Thanks you very much for other users in earlier posts.

Technically if you look at the Magic Mouse, the top of the body pushes down on the frame to double click.
It appears that if you use a rubber mousepad or use your magic mouse on a softer compressible surface, the double click is an intermittent issue. And does not always work.

I found two old solid aluminium mouse pads (one White and one Black) and the double click works all the time.

It appears the key here is a solid surface, and it comes down to not using the Magic mouse on a soft/compressible surface.

Hope this helps.

extralife

Post by extralife » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:21 am

Sorry but this is definitely not the issue. It is an issue with Cubase not the surface I have my mouse on.
Roelfie wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm
TRY SOLID SURFACE. (Cubase 9 Artist - 9.0.20 - MacOS Sierra - Magic Mouse Double Click Issue)

The double click issue was extremely irritating.
Thanks you very much for other users in earlier posts.

Technically if you look at the Magic Mouse, the top of the body pushes down on the frame to double click.
It appears that if you use a rubber mousepad or use your magic mouse on a softer compressible surface, the double click is an intermittent issue. And does not always work.

I found two old solid aluminium mouse pads (one White and one Black) and the double click works all the time.

It appears the key here is a solid surface, and it comes down to not using the Magic mouse on a soft/compressible surface.

Hope this helps.

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 am

I'm having the same problem on a 2016 15" MBP (OS 10.12.6 Sierra) using a Razer Mouse.

I get the feeling the program interprets even the smallest tremor of the cursor during clicking as an attempt to drag, thereby negating a click/double-click. Only "solution" so far is to really, really try hard not to move the mouse when clicking.

I hoped the issue would be resolved with 9.0.30, but nope...
This combined with the overall sluggishness of things like opening plugin GUIs is killing my workflow.
Cubase 9.5.40 | Steinberg UR28M | Mac OS Mojave 10.14 | 15" Macbook Pro 2016 (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD)

Bob Miller

Post by Bob Miller » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 pm

I too have serious problems with double clicking. I have Wacom Intuos tablet, track pad and magic mouse. The track pad seems to work best. It is definitely not a problem related to the magic mouse only. I mostly use the tablet and it is terrible with that. Especially opening plugins from the mixer or double click on events.
The GUI is a bit sluggish here and that does not help either. For instance opening an Izotope plugin takes some time. So when trying to open it you do not have direct feedback whether you have clicked correctly so I find myself double clicking and accidentally immediately closing the plugin again. Very frustrating.

I had no problems on El Capitan.
I am on Mac pro late 2013 trashcan 6 core, Sierra 10,12,6, Cubase 9.0.30, interface Apogee Symphony II
No issues with Logic or Protools on this set up, but as I am long time Cubase user I prefer to work with Cubase. However if this issue does not get resolved I may need to say goodbye.

Please Steinberg, take this problem seriously!
http://www.peggy51.nl
Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 9
Mac trashcan pro, 6 core - Sierra
Apogee Symphony II system

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Folks, are you still seeing this issue with Cubase 9.5 and High Sierra? I just upgraded everything this holiday season and am pretty sure the problem persists.

TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Strange workaround I just discovered: If I hold "command" and click, then everything works reliably.

Otherwise, I'm still having problems with my Magic Mouse 2, High Sierra and Cubase 9.0.30. I get problems trying to open any plugin editor by clicking the "e" in the inspector or mix windows.

Edit: Unfortunately this only a partial workaround for me as double-clicking to open the edit windows of an event is still very hit and miss. Ughh
Win7 64-bit, Asus P5, Intel Q9300, 4gig ram, 3x MOTU 896, Sapphire HD4850 1gb video card, C9.0.30
2017 Macbook Pro touchbar 13", High Sierra, C9.0.30

bPM909

Post by bPM909 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Still no solution ? I too am having the same problem on all my Sierra or High Sierra computers. Adding my voice!

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 am

TheRealRoach wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm
Strange workaround I just discovered: If I hold "command" and click, then everything works reliably.
Interestingly, that trick works for me too most of the time, thanks a lot for sharing. Shame that a proper solution still isn't implemented by Steinberg. When I reported it, I was simply told they can't reproduce it ... I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, because this is a huge issue that easily should be reproducible.

nigeynige

Post by nigeynige » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Well, 12 Months old, A post that is probably driving all the Nuendo and Cubase users.....and it still isn't sorted.
This Nuendo thing, is part of my earning and life. Saying that, If you want to get us to beta test....I AM PUTTING MYSELF FORWARD and I'm sure there will a million more. Being a pro musician and a real steinberg fan( if you asked me to go over to logic or Studio One or Pro Tools, I'd run for president in the USA,,,and that's because there is more chance of me doing that, than changing over),,,BUT PLEASE, HELP. 12 months later.......
Come one guys.....
Nuendo 7 and 8.1, Mac OSX 10.12.6, Lynx Aurora 16, UAD 2 Quad, Bags of Frustration, Fed up of emailing, Fed up of no response.

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Is there any way we can get the attention of the mods or devs on this forum? Submitting a case to local Yamaha support wasn't useful here as they simply say "they can't reproduce it". I'm not sure how because it's 100% consistently reproducible here.

I'm honestly starting to consider switching to Logic Pro to be completely honest (and this is coming from a guy who started on Cubase SL3 and loves the software) :(

nigeynige

Post by nigeynige » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Well, I've tried the work arounds. I've used hard surfaces, non white, non black, shiny, dull matt finish, Aluminium, plastic, spongy, praying ....... Still getting the 5-10% success rate on Double Clicking. As I said, if you want to rename the track.....go to inspector...and you can name your tracks......
but, I did repair permissions this morning with CLEAN MY MAC...and somehow...it worked a little.You can rename with 755 success and a single click on e edit opens them up fine. Whether it will remain, I don't know.....but if it does work....then there is something wrong with permissions....and you can't repair them since El Capitan....Fingers crossed
Nuendo 7 and 8.1, Mac OSX 10.12.6, Lynx Aurora 16, UAD 2 Quad, Bags of Frustration, Fed up of emailing, Fed up of no response.

Bob Miller

Post by Bob Miller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Help Help Help Steinberg!

As explained earlier, it is not only related to the Magic Mouse. I have the same problems with my Wacom tablet.

It is a major slowdown of work speed and a very big annoyance.

It was introduced when upgrading to Sierra.

Steinberg, please let us know what you need to look into this matter.
http://www.peggy51.nl
Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 9
Mac trashcan pro, 6 core - Sierra
Apogee Symphony II system

Return to “General”