Generic remote losing settings?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
faaraotron

Generic remote losing settings?

Post by faaraotron » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am

Hi,

Have you experienced that after having setup the generic remote, then for example after rebooting computer all your tweaks are not remembered?

Also having control room output configurations lost from time to time. It just looses them?
Cubase 9.5 , PC: core i7-2600, 3.40 GHz, 16GB ddr3 , 2 TB WD caviar black, win10 home, UAD-1, UR28M, CC121, CMC QC

hjwinge

Re: Generic remote losing settings?

Post by hjwinge » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:55 pm

After finish setting up GR, export it, then import the same file you just exported back in to GR, then cubase should remember your setup when you relaunch!
Main studio: Cubase pro 9.5 and c pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, macpro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9 and 10, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:57 pm

It doesnt here. Every time I switch between templates it looses all the settings, even if I export/import the file.

I have 5 templates. For the first one I created remote controls it works always when I open the project. But not for the other templates.

Do I need to create individual export file for each project?
Cubase 9.5 , PC: core i7-2600, 3.40 GHz, 16GB ddr3 , 2 TB WD caviar black, win10 home, UAD-1, UR28M, CC121, CMC QC

Detch

Post by Detch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:55 pm

it looks like a bug. I had the same thing.
Cubase 10.0.5, Windows 10 x64, i7 7700K, 32GB ram, Geforce GTX760

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Detch wrote:it looks like a bug. I had the same thing.
Did you get the problem solved ?

Detch

Post by Detch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 pm

faaraotron wrote:
Detch wrote:it looks like a bug. I had the same thing.
Did you get the problem solved ?
Yes, but i'm not sure how. I've been saving and loading it several times until it work. :|
I lost my faith in bug reports here. Take your chance, maybe you'll have a good luck.
Cubase 10.0.5, Windows 10 x64, i7 7700K, 32GB ram, Geforce GTX760

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Ok, maybe its still a bug going, but try again. I had same trouble as you, but figured it out, and it works 100% now. Follow this TO THE LETTER and report back?

1. Open a new blank project
2. Open GR setting and set up your controlls
3. Click activate/apply.
4. Export the GR, with a new name. do NOT close the setting window. (Nor the project)
5. Import the same GR you just exported and activate/apply or save.
6. You might wanna save this as a template, but I dont think its necessary.

Cubase should now remember your GR when you start any projects. (This is how it worked in my cubase)
Main studio: Cubase pro 9.5 and c pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, macpro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9 and 10, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:59 pm

I've had this problem and also tried the import method. So far, the results are not uniform. I think it's a malfunction of the new Pro Nine version and perhaps others.

At times I have to move the control on my MIDI controller many times before the computer catches the implements the control. This is a really annoying backward step. In my previous version, Pro 8, the Quick Controls worked very well. Now, there seem to be a host of issues -- Controls don't latch, the "learn function" doesn't operate correctly at times and the settings are not recalled, even in templates.

Sometimes they work, other times they do not. I'm sorry to see others are also noticing this and that it isn't just me.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

hjwinge wrote:Ok, maybe its still a bug going, but try again. I had same trouble as you, but figured it out, and it works 100% now. Follow this TO THE LETTER and report back?

1. Open a new blank project
2. Open GR setting and set up your controlls
3. Click activate/apply.
4. Export the GR, with a new name. do NOT close the setting window. (Nor the project)
5. Import the same GR you just exported and activate/apply or save.
6. You might wanna save this as a template, but I dont think its necessary.

Cubase should now remember your GR when you start any projects. (This is how it worked in my cubase)
Unfortunately it didn´t work. The upper window in the GR is remembered but it messes up the lower window settings.

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:57 pm

faaraotron wrote:
Unfortunately it didn´t work. The upper window in the GR is remembered but it messes up the lower window settings.
If you're not using "selected channel" then the lower settings are definitely linked to the project. Without "selected channel" the generic remote settings will change every time you add or remove channels in the mixer (or change projects).
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 9.5.10 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 7 64bit, I5 3450,16 gb ram, VEPro.

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

beatpete wrote:
faaraotron wrote:
If you're not using "selected channel" then the lower settings are definitely linked to the project. Without "selected channel" the generic remote settings will change every time you add or remove channels in the mixer (or change projects).
What you mean using "selected channel"?

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:15 pm

So, today, my Quick Controls are operating normally. I imported my previous settings from Pro 8 and that seems to have worked. Something was, and perhaps still is, not totally error free with the Generic Remote operations in Version 9 editions of Cubase. For now my QC's are operating correctly and I hope it stays that way. This was a very poor process of moving from Pro 8 to Pro 9.

Upon loading Pro 9 I found my Quick Controls were not working and that the Learn Function was also not operating; my previous settings had not been imported and I had to spend precious time fiddling with this to correct it. Generic Remote seems to now be operating, but I can't say for sure it's 100 per cent and there are some quirks, for example, Cubase is not catching the controls as quickly in Ver 9 as it did in Ver 8.

Good luck.
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:33 pm

faaraotron wrote:
beatpete wrote:
faaraotron wrote:
What you mean using "selected channel"?
In the channel/category section (in the bottom window) you can select "selected" which means whatever you've programmed (eq, compressor, level pan etc.) will work only on the channel selected in Cubase. Is is really the only effective way to use the generic remote unless you use exactly the same template with exactly the same track count every time (near enough impossible).
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks beatpete.

So I guess in my case GR is useless, since I have several different templates. What I wanted GR to do was bypass master bus compressor on the first insert slot. And have AB compare plugin called up with a button, and also to use button to select A/B. This is not possible with the "selected channel", because I have plugins at the stereo master output.

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:52 pm

As I understand it, the GR is stored externally like preferences, not as part of a template. On my mac the GR settings are there regardless of what template I open.

The hole GR setting problem has existed at least since sx 2, when I started on/off exploring it. Didnt figure it out until C 7, now I use it on a mackie d8b mixer with probox. (Full mixer and GR controlls) Dont know if its a bug since then or the intended behavior, but at least it works on my system without trouble.

If I find time, maybe I could make a turorial video?
Last edited by hjwinge on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:49 pm

hjwinge wrote:As I understand it, the GR is stored externally like preferences, not as part of a template. On my mac the GR settings are there regardless of what template I open.

The hole GR setting problem has excisted at least since sx 2, when I started on/off exploring it. Didnt figure it out until C 7, now I use it on a mackie d8b mixer with probox. (Full mixer and GR controlls) Dont know if its a bug since then or the intended behavior, but at least it works on my system without trouble.

Tutorial would be really nice. Looking forward to it.

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:55 pm

faaraotron wrote:
hjwinge wrote:As I understand it, the GR is stored externally like preferences, not as part of a template. On my mac the GR settings are there regardless of what template I open.

The hole GR setting problem has excisted at least since sx 2, when I started on/off exploring it. Didnt figure it out until C 7, now I use it on a mackie d8b mixer with probox. (Full mixer and GR controlls) Dont know if its a bug since then or the intended behavior, but at least it works on my system without trouble.

Tutorial would be really nice. Looking forward to it.
I made this video very quick and dirty, so I hope its helpful, if it still not work for you, I guess I dont know why!

https://youtu.be/bJeSZz825Ws

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:12 pm

I made this video very quick and dirty, so I hope its helpful, if it still not work for you, I guess I dont know why!

https://youtu.be/bJeSZz825Ws[/quote]

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately it does not work in this scenario (pictures attached). At least I can´t get them to work when changing between templates.
Attachments
GR settings messed up.png
(75.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GR settings should be this way.png
(75.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Ok, if it still do not work correctly on your system, I dont know how to fix it.. Sorry!

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:54 pm

faaraotron wrote:Thanks beatpete.

So I guess in my case GR is useless, since I have several different templates. What I wanted GR to do was bypass master bus compressor on the first insert slot. And have AB compare plugin called up with a button, and also to use button to select A/B. This is not possible with the "selected channel", because I have plugins at the stereo master output.
I don't know why that wouldn't work with "selected channel", the master stereo out can still be a "selected channel", any channel in the mixer can.

jb

Post by jb » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:22 am

in the GR:
"Command>Mixer>bypass inserts on Main mix" migt help?
And; using the controlroom for A/B you can activate and control every plugin seperately:
"VST controlroom>controlroom>Ins.1-8 On, bypass, etc.."
Also; you HAVE to use an unique name for every entry in the GR (control name). Otherwise the next time you reload cubase any duplicate names are not loaded (only the first one) or the whole file is rejected. Took me some time to find out...And you also have to export (= save to a location at your computer) and import from that loacation again before quiting to "learn' cubase which file should be loaded at startup. I usualy do this, then quit and reload to check.
Last edited by jb on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studio: Cubase 10.0.20 + jBridge 1.75
Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/RME Digiface and MultifacePCI/W10-64
Intel Q6600 @2.40Ghz /Asus P5K/4gb/NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT/RME multiface PCI/W10-64
Controllers: http://www.jbgeluid.nl/en/jurmix/
Dual Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 pm

For windows, in which directory does Cubase store the Generic Remote settings?

Help with Cubase:

jb

Post by jb » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Cubase does not save the settings of the generic remote by itself.

You have to to this yourself using the "export" button in device Setup> Generic Remote to consolidate..
Chose any location/filename in the next dialog, cubase will remember this location/filename, and open the saved file the next time cubase is opened.

All this is not consolidated until you quit Cubase. That is why I always quit/restart cubase after an important change in the remote device setup.
Studio: Cubase 10.0.20 + jBridge 1.75
Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/RME Digiface and MultifacePCI/W10-64
Intel Q6600 @2.40Ghz /Asus P5K/4gb/NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT/RME multiface PCI/W10-64
Controllers: http://www.jbgeluid.nl/en/jurmix/
Dual Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm

jb's explanation is exactly right. The GR was invented the same year Beethoven was born, and then, it had to wait until 1991 to get integrated into Cubase. ;) It's a rather aged component, and UI stuff that was acceptable back then would never fly now. You have to be very granular in your understanding of it if you don't want to end up bashing your head on your keyboard.

But with its warts and all it does what it's supposed to do.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:25 pm

-steve- wrote:jb's explanation is exactly right. The GR was invented the same year Beethoven was born, and then, it had to wait until 1991 to get integrated into Cubase. ;) It's a rather aged component, and UI stuff that was acceptable back then would never fly now. You have to be very granular in your understanding of it if you don't want to end up bashing your head on your keyboard.

But with its warts and all it does what it's supposed to do.
:lol: Happy birthday Ludwig! December 16, 1770!

Steve, I think a major update to whole system that Cubase uses to communicate with instruments, mixers and outboard equipment would be a huge advance. Cubase did it with VTSi, MIDI's been working since 1979, Yamaha, of course, has all its history of amazing innovation in sound technology. There should be a much better system that automatically configures our controllers for use within the program. Maybe a new industry standard of some kind is needed. I'd pay for that.

Help with Cubase:

Return to “General”