How to nudge forwards backwards in small increments

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Superglobe

How to nudge forwards backwards in small increments

Post by Superglobe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello I have the new Cubase 9 Pro.

I recently updated and want to look a a few midi notes very closely.

I double click on the events and I zoom in but how do I nudge back or forwards of those midi notes every so slightly ? If I take the slider bar (as is) and and try to look just in front of the midi note it would zoom past the notes and it misses the mark by what seems like miles. I know there is a nudge mode but where is it?

Thank you Cubase forum

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: How to nudge forwards backwards in small increments

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi,

Nudge depends on the Grid settings. If you select Time Code or Seconds as the main ruler, then you also get small Nudge values.

Myself, I move mouse cursor over the last digit in the Info Line Start Position and use mouse scroll wheel to adjust the value.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Superglobe

Post by Superglobe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I dont get result Im looking for with that. Once zoomed in on a cluster of midi notes, I use the transport panel using the arrows left and right to scroll but it pushes too far to the left of the notes or too far right if I click on the transport panel forward and rewind that is why I need nudge to move the screen a little to left or right (too see on either side of my midi notes)

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am

Sorry, do you want to move any event, or the Playback Cursor?

If you want to move the Cursor, you can do what I wrote with the Info line, but you will do it in the Transport Panel Time display. So move your mouse over the last digit in the Time Display, and use mouse scroll-wheel to change the value.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

James K

Post by James K » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 am

I think Cubase should have separate quantize settings for nudge. Like in other DAWs. ;)
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM ,
Sierra Cubase Pro 10.0.20
Mavericks Cubase Pro 9.5.5
UR28M
CC121

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 am

James K wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 am
I think Cubase should have separate quantize settings for nudge. Like in other DAWs. ;)
Isn't it just a mess at the end? In Cubase the Grid is kind of my current "resolution". I don't have to think of I want to Nudge cursor or MIDI Note or Audio Part. The "resolution" is always the same, it's global. Very straightforward for me.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

James K

Post by James K » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 am

I usually want to nudge in finer increments than what my "global" quantize is set at....so it requires changing the quantize setting each time or changing the bar/beats to time...and then back again. A more rational/logical approach would be to have separate nudge quantize settings ..as featured in other DAWS for a good reason.
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM ,
Sierra Cubase Pro 10.0.20
Mavericks Cubase Pro 9.5.5
UR28M
CC121

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:09 pm

James K wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 am
I usually want to nudge in finer increments than what my "global" quantize is set at....so it requires changing the quantize setting each time or changing the bar/beats to time...and then back again. A more rational/logical approach would be to have separate nudge quantize settings ..as featured in other DAWS for a good reason.

Exactly this. In post production (scoring for films) I most often need to move things by frames, for example, which is completely independent of quantize.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Create a command using a P.L.E. and/or Logical Editor preset. You can move by any measurement.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 pm

-steve- wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 pm
Create a command using a P.L.E. and/or Logical Editor preset. You can move by any measurement.
The ones I've tried that have been posted here don't work the same, I'm afraid. Unless you have one that does? I'm all for it if you do -- please post! My mind doesn't always work so well with creating PLEs/Logical Editor presets. :D
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 pm

It's quite simple. In both the PLE and LE:

Property > Selected

Position > Add (or subtract or ?) > [choose the measurement and amount]
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:40 pm

-steve- wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 pm
It's quite simple. In both the PLE and LE:

Property > Selected

Position > Add (or subtract or ?) > [choose the measurement and amount]
Huh! I'll try that, thanks. The other ones I saw/tried were based on clicking and dragging, not entering in a value and amount. Click and drag is faster/more intuitive overall to me, and is the reason why the other DAWs have it the way they do; but I'll try this -- it's a partial stopgap at least until Cubase finally gets this needed feature.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:43 pm

I don't know, but I think the OP is actually asking how to nudge the transport cursor, not objects and events.

So use the zoom commands and have a look the Transport menu or in the Key Commands dialog under Transport for the choices available there. Or follow Martins already posted advice:
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am
Sorry, do you want to move any event, or the Playback Cursor?

If you want to move the Cursor, you can do what I wrote with the Info line, but you will do it in the Transport Panel Time display. So move your mouse over the last digit in the Time Display, and use mouse scroll-wheel to change the value.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 pm

-steve- wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:43 pm
I don't know, but I think the OP is actually asking how to nudge the transport cursor, not objects and events.

So use the zoom commands and have a look the Transport menu or in the Key Commands dialog under Transport for the choices available there.
Oh, my bad! I posted that on the wrong thread. Sorry!

phil64sch

Post by phil64sch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Geeez! In_Stereo, that was an awesome tip.

Return to “General”