Cubase 9.5 & macOS High Sierra

banjo. i agree with your statement. no word from anyone seems a bit weird. what with all the hype of the 9.5 release.

i just want to know if 9.0 is ok for Hi Siera. and lets not even think about going there with 9.5 until its sorted.

spaceman

I’m having the Halion problem also with high Sierra and Cubase 9

Same problem here

Same problem here

mine crashes on 9.5 and Sierra too

Same problem for me too…halionsonic 3 Will not load and cubase close unexpected… :frowning: stand alone synts close unexpected…
Best reguards
Tobias Nilsson
imac i7 high sierra 24 gb ram
cubase artist 9.0 latest upgrade…
Absolute 3 collection…
halionsonic 3 latest upgrade…
:frowning:

No problem on High Sierra and Apollo 8 soundcard, except the insert slot GUI on the lower zone.

Any update on this? I see 9.5 is on sale and I’m considering buying it.

I’m running C9.5.x on two Macs, no issues.

No issues.

Hi… can anyone confirm if cubase 9,.5.3 works ok on High sierra versions of 10.13.4 and higher?

Unfortunately some daws experience massive cpu spikes at low buffers apparently… pro tools, reason… reason has been fixed, but avid say pro tools can’t be and apple have to fix it…

I am looking at a new imac pro, and if i can’t work under 256 buffer with high sierra 10.13.6 there is no point… the whole point of getting a beastly machine is to work at low buffers effectively… Avid claim it affects many DAWs and the last version that worked properly is 10.13.3

unfortunately there is no way to get any new mac now with anything other than high sierra 10.13.6

So anyone working on mac with high sierra 10.13.4 or higher, at 128 buffer or lower, with Vi’s etc on cubase, and having no weird cpu spikes, please let me know… If it works, I will simply ditch pro tools completely and move everything to cubase 100 percent.

Works fine here, aside from the usual and still bad Cubase Mac GUI issues. :slight_smile: Sometimes I get suddenly high CPU usage for inexplicable reasons, but that’s very rare and is an issue I’ve had on Mac since SIerra – not sure if it’s a Mac issue or another Cubase-on-Mac issue.

It works well for me - not complex projects, but absolutely no crashes, hangs, difficulties closing, slow graphics. My impression is that cpu use is not markedly different from my PC desktop. I can run UR824 at 32 sample buffer size and Apollo twin similarly.

Steve.

Hi, your sig says you use sierra though? Thank you in any case

So you use High Sierra 10.13.4 or higher and all works well…

I presume you still have the high cpu spike at offline bounce issue though?

You would need to define offline bounce for me. If you mean mix down existing tracks to a different track, I haven’t done this on my MBP. If you mean audio export, I’ve done that quite a lot - non-realtime - and no spikes/issues.

Steve

Yes, basically vsti freezing, and audio export…

are you on 10.13.6?

it must affect specific macs then.

Yes, I was talking about the most recent version of 10.13. Didn’t try any track freezing on the MacBook but as I said no problem with non-realtime audio export. I’ve never trie realtime export - I’ve always understood it was more of a cpu stress for machines (maybe incorrectly).

I’ve upgraded to 10.14 Mojave beta on the basis I can use my desktop PC and reinstall High Sierra if there was a problem. Very early impressions are that Cubase has no immediately obvious problems with Mojave.

Steve.

Interesting plectrumboy, thank you…

I am going to go out on a limb and say, perhaps, because you use a UR824 with such tight integration into Cubase, is why it’s ok for you…

I discovered that along with graphical changes, Apple changed something in core audio with 10.13.4 and above, which is what is causing the issues for Pro tools users and Cubase users.

However, it basically only happens at buffers of 128 or under is what i also found out. So if you are not using low buffers, that may be a contributing factor also.

Considering I have seen so many reports at avid and these very forums of issues post High sierra 10.13.3, it would be very interesting to get to the bottom of why yours doesn’t do it.

it seems that a kind soul is actually uploading the full 10.13.2 for me, so I should be ok in any case… I can’t believe someone came through for me on that after months of searching. Much more confident about buying a new mac now!

Mojave drops ALL 32 bit support, i think that included 64 bit bridging apps, so i can never move to it.
Furthermore, every single standalone hardware synth editor I have is 32 bit…

High Sierra may be the very last version of mac OS i can ever use, or, at least to always keep a compatible computer around, always, so i can use lgacy stuff. There’s also a wonderful DAW calc app i love to use, scalc, that is 32 bit only. I’d hate losing that!

PS if you are using the UR824 at low buffers, I am going to get one and make Cubase my primary DAW, and sell all my UAD stuff. I am SO tired of console!

Just had a slight frisson of panic about you rushing out to buy stuff on the basis of my forum comments. So, although now running the Mojave beta, I hooked up the MacBook to my UR824s. Played a small live recorded project at 32 sample buffer size, with and without asioguard switched in. The Mac played it without problem. However, looking at your comments about your UAD experience, I have an Apollo Twin and I can use that at 32 sample buffer size as well. My impression, not yet properly measured, is that while I may not get spikes on my 2016 15" macbook pro, the general cpu load is a bit like on my six core 4 Ghz PC - that is to say, it doesn’t take many tracks or effects or vst instruments to start using up the power. I’m not making any comments about efficiency as compared to other DAWs (because I don’t know) but I am saying the Mac seems stable and reliable with Cubase.

Steve.