Cubase 9.5 Feedback Survey

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
thenowhereman

Re: Cubase 9.5 Feedback Survey

Post by thenowhereman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Can someone please explain the move to the overly dark Inspector pane and Mixer GUI. I can find no way no matter what I try to lighten these modules. I don't understand why this was changed from C9. I've been a faithful user and defender of Cubase since VST32 and always had the ability to set the GUI as I liked...the darkness is depressing IMHO

jonwright

Post by jonwright » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:51 pm

Personally I'd like the whole Cubase UI to get a major overhaul. It feels pretty clunky and outdated when compared with other DAW's.

Retina/hidpi support really should have been sorted by now.
http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com

Cubase 9.5.10, Mac OS 10.12.2

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:30 pm

jonwright wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:51 pm
Personally I'd like the whole Cubase UI to get a major overhaul. It feels pretty clunky and outdated when compared with other DAW's.
And that's what they have been doing since Cubase 7.5. What exactly do you want to see changed?
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

djw

Post by djw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:30 pm
jonwright wrote:
And that's what they have been doing since Cubase 7.5. What exactly do you want to see changed?
I'd personally want to see less padding in and around zones. I think space could be used more efficiently that way, and it would look nicer.
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

Bhavik Patel

Post by Bhavik Patel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Render in Place starts but with no progress and it shows NOT RESPONDING in Task Manager....
then i hv to restart my PC / DAW. Manually.
if i forgot to save, this cause disaster. (using auto save for safer side) but

Cubase, please take this as one of critical issues.
Attachments
RIP ERROR.jpeg
(107.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

thenowhereman

Post by thenowhereman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:
jonwright wrote:
I want to be able to use my color settings that I'm used to and not this DARK crap that was forced upon me with 9.5...That's exactly what I want to see reverted, otherwise I have no problem but I cannot stand the Dark drabby mixer and inspector. I've been using Cubase since it was VST32. It was my first DAW, I've tried others and always reverted back to Cubase. I was always able to set a visual environment that was pleasing and conducive to working. But this new GUI where there is no way to set the mixer or Inspector to anything but dark is just beyond my understanding. I find it hard to believe that I'm the ONLY engineer out there that is bothered by this
Attachments
C9.5.jpg
(205.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mixer C9.5.jpg
(327.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet

jonwright

Post by jonwright » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
jonwright wrote:
In Studio One or Logic simple things like zooming in and out with a trackpad are smooth as butter, no need for key commands.

Their UI's are also much more flexible. I may be wrong but sometimes the UI feels 'constricted' by legacy code.

Some graphical elements are slightly 'smudged' and less sharp.

There is no native full-screen mode on a Mac, which is something I use all the time.

I completely understand it must be a huge undertaking, but Cubase is looking more antiquated (possibly more so on a Mac, I don't have Windows for a comparison) and less fluid and responsive compared to competition.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cubase, but I also have to work a lot in Logic, and when I switch between the two it sometimes feels as if my eyesight is failing when I return to Cubase! :D
http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com

Cubase 9.5.10, Mac OS 10.12.2

notablemusician

Post by notablemusician » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:23 pm

I've owned 3 versions of Cubase. V1.0 (Atari) in 1989; SX1.0 in 2002; Artist 9.5 in 2017.
Obviously, I've seen some changes, in Cubase itself and also in the hardware and operating systems.
I'm using Windows 10 64 bit with Fall Creators update 1709, 16 giga ram and i74790 processor at 3.6ghz. I have 2 Samsung SSD, No1 for system and No2 for saved projects and samples (this brought a huge performance gain). Also about 8 tera of further backup and storage on external dock. I found it necessary to uninstall all the clutter apps from W10 and to de-activate a number of services as well as the usual tweaks for best audio performance. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 1820 with my trusty Motu 2408 connected by ADAT giving me 16 channels of input.
Latency is about 6ms and the options are activated for Multi Processor, Asio-guard, Steinberg Audio Power Scheme and Adjust for Record Latency. Only with all these items sorted did I get to satisfactory performance. Eight audio tracks with about twenty effects and EQ plus several instances of Kontakt and NI Battery running from midi tracks gives about 10% and less on the Asio meter and nothing on disk activity.
Having tried Artist 6.5, performance and features are better and Windows 10 64 bit memory management is better than it was in W7.
On the whole I'm happy, all I really wanted was a stable recording and mixing system and the gadgets and instruments don't really have my attention as I have my preferred sounds and sampler already.
I record my vocals and a collection of vintage guitars plus violin and bass and now use Fishman Triple Play to transmit midi from my guitars. I have 2 mix windows work-spaces programmed across 2 28 inch Phillips LCD monitors, One widow with the track view all the way across 2 screens and one with the mixer etc on the right screen.
Multi instrumentalist I'm just interested in record quality of my own acoustic sounds produced through various tube pre-amps and other outboard gear. I use a Presonus Faderport which, together with shortcuts, simplifies matters and the simplest is best for me.
I like the new comping tool when recording stacked tracks in loop mode. At 74 years old I'm not really looking forward for the next gadget but back into my emotions and trying to translate those into something beautiful using my fingers and strings together with my head. This is already complex so I like a simple setup and Cubase can give it to me.
I may upgrade to pro, mainly for the outboard and offline processing, if you have some vintage pedals and effects this capability is interesting. Typing this I see I let the wood burner go low so it needs attention; that's an important element in my studio as well - but that's another story...

thenowhereman

Post by thenowhereman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Someone Please tell me how this is a choice. This is the most drab and uncreative color palate i can imagine. Like someone smeared mud over the entire page
Attachments
Color Schemes.jpg
(128.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet

JonsG1

Post by JonsG1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Hello Steinberg team !
I tried reaper and still went with Cubase Elements since it essentially worked with almost no configuration the first time for me. It's interface made sense from the beginning. I've had it for over a year and now I almost never use the included sounds, instruments or effects over the 20+ GB of FREE VSTs and soundfonts I've collected from various sources. Nothing is hacked. No stolen license keys. Nada. The guitar amp set included in Elements is really good, though. That is one of the few included effects I do use.

notablemusician

Post by notablemusician » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Steinberg developers.

I echo the comments regarding the "fifty shades of grey" in the preferences palette. I realize that a custom colour choice is given but don't see the point of all those grey squares; a bit depressing. It must be easy to fix as a patch.
Otherwise Cubase Artist 9.5 is working very well under Windows 10 Creators update, memory management is really great and I've not had a single crash to speak of. I feel secure now in working and all the updating and stripping down of Windows 10 features and services has borne fruits. Thanks Steinberg for another good job.

andy1324

Post by andy1324 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:53 am

Love the new features, I just discovered that you now have "hide disabled tracks" something I've wanted for a while. Fantastic. That being said, 9.5 continues to show a glitchyness is various areas, even after the maintenance update. Ive got tickets already on these issues and have been told nothing can be done at the moment. One being clicking and dragging the project view around causes unpredictable behavior at best. another thing I discovered with the real time processing effects, when I chop up a loop and try to effect the chops it does some weird unusable behaviors as well that it doesn't do in version 9...I continue to support Cubase and have no intention of leaving or changing, But I do hope some of this under the hood new glitchy behavior eventually gets resolved and we arrive a version every bit as stable as version 9 but with the new features of 9.5
thanks

Return to “General”