Homebase for Sonar users

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Blacklab

Re: Homebase for Sonar users

Post by Blacklab » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks to Ed Doll and all the Grand Senior Members for patience and help!
One navigator method I've seen before but can't find now is the ability to place the locator using something other than the pointer (I think) by clicking on the locator line/cursor bar and moving it around....rather than having to go up to the ruler bar.
Windows7, RME Hammerfall, Cubase 9.5 and up, Finale, UA-2 Duo, Composer Cloud, SoundForgePro, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Mason and Hamlin CC-94 Concert Grand, Kurzweil PC3K8, MUSE Receptor VIP. Favorite hardware: UA 2-610 Tube Preamplifier, Grace 101 Preamplifiers.

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 am

Jeff Irok wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm
Ed Doll wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 am
Hi Jeff and welcome!
Just select the Cubase Pro 9.5 crossgrade to choose where to crossgrade to.
Hi Ed - Thanks for the welcome and the help! Yeah, I see I misread it. Well, here I go to take the plunge!
I think you'll be glad you did. I found moving from Sonar to Cubase to be a lot easier than I expected. There's still a learning curve, of course, but it has been fun making my way around it.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 am

Hi Jeff, thanks for the purchase!
If you ordered the box, it will be shipped to you including the USB-eLicenser needed to start Cubase Pro 9.5. You can already download and install Cubase Pro 9.5 using the Steinberg Download Assistant - the USB-eLicenser and the license is only needed while using Cubase.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Jeff Irok

Post by Jeff Irok » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 am

Ed Doll wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 am
Hi Jeff, thanks for the purchase!
If you ordered the box, it will be shipped to you including the USB-eLicenser needed to start Cubase Pro 9.5. You can already download and install Cubase Pro 9.5 using the Steinberg Download Assistant - the USB-eLicenser and the license is only needed while using Cubase.
Thanks again Ed! I just got an e-mail from Steinberg, literally minutes ago, confirming that the eLicenser is coming via UPS. So everything's in place!

Looking forward to this. Years (and years) ago when I was looking at getting a DAW, the choice for me was between Cakewalk (then Pro Audio) and Cubase. I went with Pro Audio because I got a better deal on it. But I knew that if I ever had to migrate off, it would be to Cubase. I know there are other good DAWs out there, but Steinberg has been a trail blazer since the nineties (maybe even the eighties), and I want to be at the forefront, not lagging behind!
Sonar Platinum Refugee; now proud user of Cubase Pro. Windows 10, E7 3.2ghz quad core, Tascam US 2x2 audio interface.

electona

Post by electona » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 am

I've made the plunge too and am currently being evaluated. :oops:

The one thing I didn't check after ordering was support for 32-bit VST plugins, which doesn't seem to be there. I have an Ensoniq SQ80 emulation that is quite good and that I would like to use sometimes.

popitup

Post by popitup » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:07 am

Hello, I'm another long time Cakewalk user who has just moved to Cubase. So far, I'm really enjoying the Cubase experience, and love the fact that I can create a similar workflow that I became so used to in Sonar Platinum.

My question is regarding one workflow feature that I really miss from Sonar . . . being able to edit and map BFD3 drums in the Staff View.
I've found the button where you can easily create a BFD3 drum map, very cool . . . but Cubase has a full on "score editor" so the drum notes all appear many octaves below the staff lines (C0, D1, F1 etc . . .)

I've found where you can customize the score editor to create different note head and stem displays, but I can't find a way to display the drum notes octaves higher, so they actually appear on the staff lines. (No, I can't relate to the percussion view) In Sonar, you could create a staff layout that did this. Is there a way to visually display and customize the score editor to accommodate this . . . without having to transpose all the drum notes, and having to re-program the drum map ?

SF_Green

Re: Questions from a longtime Sonar user

Post by SF_Green » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:16 am

jaslan wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:37 pm
I will try to help answer some of your questions. Cubase uses something similar to iLok but called Steinberg eLicenser. The Pro and Artist versions require the USB eLicenser (a physical device). Elements can be on a software eLicenser (license stored on the hard drive) OR on the USB eLicenser. You can get an electronic delivery if you already have a USB eLicenser which can be purchased seperately (I believe Sweetwater sells them as well as others). The “boxed” version comes with the eLicenser and a code and download instructions in the box. I saw some posts talking about an option for the “media” DVDs as well if one wants those.
Cubase does have a score view built in that I know absolutely nothing about but I know that some use it for composition.

Lastly, there is a trial so you can test it out and see if you like it. You can trial Pro if you havea USB eLicenser or you can trial Elements without one. Just check the product page.
Just thought I'd make a comment aimed at anyone hesitant to use the eLicenser. I have had the eLicenser since 2004 (Eiosis AirEQ required it IIRC), and compared to the iLok which caused me a great deal of grief for quite a while, I have never had a single problem with the eLicenser. I can't say if everyone has had the same positive experience with it, but I'll vouch for it based on my experience and I'm not the biggest fan of dongles.
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, SonarPt-2017.10, Live 10, Reason10, Finale 25, Komplete10Ult, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, ARP Omni, many things with strings.
RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), Adam A7X, UAD-2Quad, Roland A-800 PRO, CC121, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, Maschine MkII, POD HD500
AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600
GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb
GrSltz My Studio

SF_Green

Post by SF_Green » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 am

Hello everyone! I'm a new convert from Sonar Platinum. Just thought I'd check in and say "Hi!", while taking a break from doing Cubase tutorials on Groove3. I'm trying to power through them quickly and get up to speed on Cubase so I can get back to making some music.

Any additional advice from other recent SPLAT converts on making the transition easier or quicker?

Many thanks!
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, SonarPt-2017.10, Live 10, Reason10, Finale 25, Komplete10Ult, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, ARP Omni, many things with strings.
RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), Adam A7X, UAD-2Quad, Roland A-800 PRO, CC121, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, Maschine MkII, POD HD500
GrSltz My Studio

SuperG

Post by SuperG » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 am

Getting around audio tracks is fairly straightforward. Midi has some powerful features that take some time to digest though, such as expression maps, note expression, and polyphonic voicing. They make sense after awhile and turn out to be invaluable. I have yet to dive into the chord track and arranger.
Win 10 i7-6700, Cubase 9.5, Sonar Platinum, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid

bartveld

Post by bartveld » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am

SF_Green wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 am
Hello everyone! I'm a new convert from Sonar Platinum. Just thought I'd check in and say "Hi!", while taking a break from doing Cubase tutorials on Groove3. I'm trying to power through them quickly and get up to speed on Cubase so I can get back to making some music.

Any additional advice from other recent SPLAT converts on making the transition easier or quicker?

Many thanks!
I have no other advice than to remember that Cubase can do all that SPLAT can do, and more. Although the manual isn't perfect, it does cover every topic, so it's worth the 5 minutes to dig into it every time you can't find the solution to a specific question. The different vocabulary will grow on you. And another thing: don't forget to experiment with the neat extra's Sonar never had, like Chord Pads. I find that functionality exhilirating!

SF_Green

Post by SF_Green » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:09 am

bartveld wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am
SF_Green wrote:

Many thanks!
I have no other advice than to remember that Cubase can do all that SPLAT can do, and more. Although the manual isn't perfect, it does cover every topic, so it's worth the 5 minutes to dig into it every time you can't find the solution to a specific question. The different vocabulary will grow on you. And another thing: don't forget to experiment with the neat extra's Sonar never had, like Chord Pads. I find that functionality exhilirating!
I've heard about that feature before and am quite excited to get to try it out finally.
GrSltz My Studio

EngineerJD

Post by EngineerJD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm

bartveld wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am

I have no other advice than to remember that Cubase can do all that SPLAT can do, and more.
I mostly agree, the one big disappointment so far for me is that Cubase doesn't support ARA. (Granted that was a relatively new feature in SPLAT too).

Cubase has the built in pitch corrector, so no need to go to Melodyne all the time, but if you use Vocalign it's an order of magnitude easier to use in SPLAT or S1 than Cubase. (See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=252&t=108207&start=50#p708262 )

Still, Cubase is hands-down the best alternative I've tried, of course YMMV.

synthmusic_51

Post by synthmusic_51 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a new Cubase user from France.

I haven't already read all these pages about migrating from SONAR to Cubase, but I will try to. Thanks Cubase for the generous crossgrade offer and the help.

If you are a MIDI user, I can tell you that I don't see any program that could be better than Cubase. I do like SONAR Platinum very much, I remember the wonderful first year of updates, but within the last year, the software wasn't really improved anymore, especially about MIDI. The best example is the awesome Cubase chord functions, that we asked Cakewalk to implement and it was never done.

I have been working with Cubase Pro 9.5 (not the latest update) for more than 1 month. I created one of my best tracks very easily. The incorporated VST synths are awesome. There are 12 VST synth playing along with a few audio tracks. No stuttering, very stable (one crash upon saving but there is a strong autobackup function). Since Windows 10, I had BIG stability problems with SONAR and people said that my Roland interface wasn't good anymore. Now I can tell you that it works well with Cubase, with unnoticeable latency and very stable. I think that there were problems between Cakewalk and Roland, hence no optimization efforts...

I'm not saying Cubase is perfect, but certainly it's very close to this. Some little things like ARA or 32 bit VST support aren't there, but there are so many things to discover too.

That said, it's very difficult to understand some differences of concepts and vocabulary. I will now read the manuals (something like 2000 pages) to have a more precise experience and improve my skills. I must admit I have not much tried audio recording, I have focused on VST MIDI, where Cubase is outstanding.

SONAR community is excellent. I hope to find here as many kind and helpful people as in the SONAR forum.

As a conclusion, if you're a MIDI hero, buy Cubase... If you're more into audio, I also think it's the best tool now available but I have to test it a little bit more.

Thank you Steinberg!
Cubase Pro 9.5 - SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini

timbraun

Post by timbraun » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Hello, folks

I'm trying to move some projects from Sonar to Cubase, and the tempo is messing me up. I have a few audio tracks (starting with a very simple project) and I can import them from an OMF. Looks good. But the tempo is off, and that's going to be a problem with projects that use midi. So, what exactly is the process to allow the audio to be imported into the correct time position with the correct midi time base?

Thanks!
Tim
Another Sonar Platinum refugee... with MOTU 2408mkIII - Windows 10 - i7-960 - fwiw

Joe_A

Post by Joe_A » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:13 am

I'm just saying hello as former SPLAT user (with Cake about 10 yrs). Made the switch to Cubase Pro. Greg made a good offer early and in researching, Steinberg looked good. And so far so Good!
Best to all,

rjeynes

Post by rjeynes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

timbraun wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm
Hello, folks

I'm trying to move some projects from Sonar to Cubase, and the tempo is messing me up. I have a few audio tracks (starting with a very simple project) and I can import them from an OMF. Looks good. But the tempo is off, and that's going to be a problem with projects that use midi. So, what exactly is the process to allow the audio to be imported into the correct time position with the correct midi time base?

Thanks!
Tim
Another Sonar Platinum refugee... with MOTU 2408mkIII - Windows 10 - i7-960 - fwiw
Tim
To be safe you need to set the tempo in Cubase before the import - the import of OMF doesn't seem to preserve the Sonar project tempo.

(And remember that changing the constant tempo in Cubase DOES NOT change the tempo in the tempo track. So if you decide to use a tempo track that needs to be set correctly)
Roger Jeynes, Charborough Media
Sonar Platinum refugee now using Cubase 9.5 A&H Qu24 - MOTU 828MkII - i5-3570K - Windows 10

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

SF_Green wrote:

Many thanks!
Anyone making the move to CB from Sonar I'd suggest checking how the backup project feature works. Projects don't save the same using Sonar method many used. ( save the project to a new folder & the audio is saved with it)

Projects don't save the same using Sonar method many used. ( save the project to a new folder & the audio is saved with it)

Also make sure to check out Audio / Statistics. A feature in which Sonar sorely lacked ir's a great way to check your audio files. EBU, LUFS, peaks, DC offset etc..
Simply select/ highlight 1 or more audio tracks then menu / audio/ statistics. Has a copy feature to paste info into a WP as well.
Last edited by ceemusic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohanSabatianGremlin

Post by JohanSabatianGremlin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 pm

electona wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 am
I've made the plunge too and am currently being evaluated. :oops:

The one thing I didn't check after ordering was support for 32-bit VST plugins, which doesn't seem to be there. I have an Ensoniq SQ80 emulation that is quite good and that I would like to use sometimes.
It doesn't look like anyone answered this but its my understanding that you need to throw money at the situation in order to solve this issue. Google jbridge, throw him some coin and problem solved.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Sorry, I didn't see the question for some reason. No Cubase no longer supports 32bit plugins directly. You have to use a bridge VST of some kind. There are lots of options including jbridge.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Studio Vheissu

Post by Studio Vheissu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi. I am another former Sonar user trying out Cubase and I will probably go with it. I also tried Digital Performer and a couple others but have it narrowed to two now. I like the GUI of Cubase a bit better and it seems a lot more of the VST plug-ins (synths and fx) have migrated over. I used the 64 bit Sonar anyway, so having only 64 bit is fine. I had just got a new mixer (Behringer X-32) when the news about Sonar hit, but it seems like it is integrating well with Cubase although I have a lot to learn about the way Cubase handles i/o and tracks in general (I have 21 days left in the trial). Also the Mackie Control seems to work well with both the X-32 and my NI S-61 (Mk. 1) keyboard controller when dealing with remote control applications of those two pieces. I have some hardware synths too and it seems like Cubase does well with those too but I have a lot of work to do on the external devices pages. Having this topic is a great idea and I will be checking it out frequently. Thanks, so far.

Michael (Studio Vheissu)

Taurean Mixing

Post by Taurean Mixing » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 pm

In Sonar, you could toggle an option to prompt a warning message that you are about to move an audio clip (event).
Is there any way to do that in Cubase?
Bob
http://taureanonlinemixing.com
Cubase Pro 9.5.41 | 3930K OC'ed | Win 10 x64 | Lynx AEX16e

Taurean Mixing

Post by Taurean Mixing » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Taurean Mixing wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 pm
In Sonar, you could toggle an option to prompt a warning message that you are about to move an audio clip (event).
bump
Bob
http://taureanonlinemixing.com
Cubase Pro 9.5.41 | 3930K OC'ed | Win 10 x64 | Lynx AEX16e

ericyeoman

Post by ericyeoman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Taurean Mixing wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 pm
I hav'nt found a way of getting a prompt before moving a clip, but an event can be locked in place.

Select the event, Edit > Lock.

To lock an entire track, select the track, and in the Inspector click on the top section and click on the open padlock icon.
See page 99 of the manual for a picture of what I'm referring to, it's next to the orange crotchet.
Last edited by ericyeoman on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SF_Green

Post by SF_Green » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm

ceemusic wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm
SF_Green wrote:

Many thanks!
Anyone making the move to CB from Sonar I'd suggest checking how the backup project feature works. Projects don't save the same using Sonar method many used. ( save the project to a new folder & the audio is saved with it)

Projects don't save the same using Sona ... d with it)

Also make sure to check out Audio / Statistics. A feature in which Sonar sorely lacked ir's a great way to check your audio files. EBU, LUFS, peaks, DC offset etc..
Simply select/ highlight 1 or more audio tracks then menu / audio/ statistics. Has a copy feature to paste info into a WP as well.

Thanks for the advice, ceemusic. One thing, I tried the link you posted but it looks like it's broken. Could you try that again, please?
Thanks
GrSltz My Studio

ceemusic

Post by ceemusic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Sorry, I don't know why a url was made there- it's just a sentence..

My point is that many backup Sonar projects by saving it to a new folder & checking the 'copy all audio with project' option.
This doesn't work in Cubase so I'd advise checking out the backup project feature early on. (Its what Sonar should've had instead of the workaround that was mainly used because of Cakewalk's horrible 'Clean Audio Folder' feature)

Return to “General”