Are RMS values in Cubase a random numbers?

Here is my case

Avarage: -26
Max: -3
Max at strip: -14

what the flap, where can I read from what places these values comes from and which one should I trust or compare with others from others DAWs?

I heard nowadays industry EDM standart is -9db rms, I am listening Avicii and nothing is close to -9db RMS at all at these graphics.

Depending upon what standard the DAW is using, the numbers might defer.

I adore manuals like this:

Thanks Captain Oblivious!

The stats is only for the audio clip and doesn’t include any processing or the master fader. It’s just the raw file. Is that maybe what is going on?

In this particular case I was listening the track and also opened statistic window. I was hoping RMS values will be the same. But I guess I need to compare LUFS to have the same result, at strip and in statistic.

I have been making music and I still don’t clearly understand all dat metering stuff, so I do music and aim on reference’s volume and feel of loudness.

Also me with friends were comparing RMS from different DAWs of the same track, in chat conversation, and I freaking had no idea what values are they talking about, and where to see mine.

Comparing LUFS will not be different. What I am saying is that Statistics only looks at the raw audio file before it has gone through any inserts or the fader, etc. Check for yourself. Do a statistics measurement and then turn your fader all the way down and do it again. Statistics will not change but obviously your metering numbers will be all the way down. Bottom line is that if you are wanting to know what the actual final sound is, then you should trust what the meter says-not statistics.

But he is looking at a finished mastered product, looking at the statistics for that track to get a reference.
And need to look at the control room meter to match that.
Btw obviously clipping, probably imported from a lossy format, so not really of any use.
Import the track from a non lossy format, or normalize it to -0.3dB peak before looking at the statistics.

BTW-I think you are thinking -9 db LUFS. These days a lot of EDM that I’m seeing is -12 to -8 with momentary peaks all the way up to -3. Keep in mind this is for CD releases. For purely streaming digital releases you still want to get closer to -14 so they don’t reduce it for you.

Yeah-so that track is -7.77 LUFS. It got all the way up to -4.09 for a moment. It has a dynamic range of 7db. Those true peak look accurate to me with intersample clipping.

I like the Insight plugin. It gives me a lot of what I’m looking for in one place.

The RMS on the meter wont measure the whole track - only the last few seconds of audio.

Thats what lufs are for - The lufs should read the same if you have the lufs meter running from start to finish.