Midi CC from cubase to controller?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
RRC123

Midi CC from cubase to controller?

Post by RRC123 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:20 am

Hi,
Is there a way to send midi CC data from a midi track back to the remote controller during playback so endless encoders display correct values, etc (and parameter values don't jump when tweaking)?
Thanks

SuperG

Re: Midi CC from cubase to controller?

Post by SuperG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:36 am

RRC123 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:20 am
Hi,
Is there a way to send midi CC data from a midi track back to the remote controller during playback so endless encoders display correct values, etc (and parameter values don't jump when tweaking)?
Thanks
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish - most smart controllers, i.e. Mackie MCU Pro, etc. have a dedicated control surface driver that handles this. What kind of control surface are you using?
Win 10 i7-6700, Cubase 9.5, Sonar Platinum, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid

RRC123

Post by RRC123 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am

I'm not referring to control surfaces for fader/plugin control (Mackie, general remote Etc)...rather just for controller data in midi parts.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Cubase can do that, set the right parameters in the Generic Remote.
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

RRC123

Post by RRC123 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi,
Can't see any midi cc options under generic remote.

In case I could've explained better:

- I'd like to dedicate a control surface to midi CC's ... ie, for various expression controls when playing in/editing midi parts.

- I'd like it to be able to receive/display current state of those midi CC's on the selected/record enabled track

- so, if I'm editing - for example - mod wheel data on a track, my controller's encoder led's will display current state of modulation data and new data will be recorded over existing when I turn the knob (without there being any "jump" in value)

Hope that's clear

SuperG

Post by SuperG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 am

Care to mention just what brand/model of controller you have?
Win 10 i7-6700, Cubase 9.5, Sonar Platinum, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid

RRC123

Post by RRC123 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:57 am

Bcr-2000 and bcf-2000 (behringer)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 am

Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid

RRC123

Post by RRC123 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:37 am

Thanks Steve, but I fully understand the generic remote feature ...please note that it does not allow for automation of cc data in midi tracks/parts.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 am

Oh, I see.

As with any midi device, you simply send data from the track. You can use a midi send for that, since the output is already set to your instrument.

Whether the device will respond is entirely dependent on its capabilities. I've never tried to set that up exactly, but it's possible the bcf/r will respond when it receives the bytes a particular control is programmed to send, eg. program knob 1 to send CC1 the device updates the display when it receives CC1. You might have to send a certain channel, etc.

RRC123

Post by RRC123 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:14 am

Thanks.
Yep ...midi sends certainly makes for the value appear, but it's all a bit clunky in terms of the way it plays out unfortunately. Also no sends on the instrument tracks, unless I'm mistaken.

SuperG

Post by SuperG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 am

It's clunky because you can only blindly echo midi data back to the controller to get feedback data displayed on the bezels - and you have to create the sends yourself to do it, yes.

To have an intelligent feedback mechanism from the host would appear to require support on the host side - and so would likely require a dedicated control surface driver - which is where I was going with this topic. That has to come from Behringer.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:37 pm

RRC123 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:14 am
Thanks.
Yep ...midi sends certainly makes for the value appear, but it's all a bit clunky in terms of the way it plays out unfortunately. Also no sends on the instrument tracks, unless I'm mistaken.
I haven't experimented with it, but you might check out Quick Controls for this. There you can configure it to send CCs, so no send is needed. I don't know what is sent to the output, since I haven't actually tried this but I suspect it would work. There's a limit of 8 controls though.

Another thing you might check out is using it in Mackie mode with the Quick Controls. This, if I remember correctly will allow you to use paging to access more slots, but I don't remember much about it. I had a BCF years and years ago, and played with this and BCF received the data back from Cubase I think... I found it overly complex to actually use, but I thought I'd mention it.

Brian Roland

Post by Brian Roland » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:40 am

Try the Generic Remote Device. It can echo any valid controls coming into it back to the controller.
I.E. Motorized faders......

If for some reason you want to record your controller movements onto a MIDI track in RAW MIDI form use a virtual MIDI port (I.E. loopMIDI). This way you can route the input of your Generic Remote Map as the virtual port, and route your controller input through a MIDI track that has its output set to this same Virtual port.

I.E. MIDI Controller > CuBase MIDI Track > Virtual MIDI Port > Generic Remote Device > MIDI Controller

Arm the track when you want it to work. Disarm it when you want the remote device map ignored.

Routing the controller through a MIDI track and a virtual port also allows one to take advantage of the many MIDI recording modes (I.E. retrospective recording), easy processing/editing of controller data via Logic Editors, using various MIDI effect plugins like LFO generator, and more. Once you've got it recorded, it's pretty easy to transform that over to VST automation lanes if you like.

I use this method often when doing a lot of real time fader movements. It's nice that I can set punch points, keep the sequencer cycling, and store all my takes (many different versions). I.E. I've got 8 programmable faders in front of me. I can set them all to CC7 and line them all up to the starting position I like, and work my through a different shot each time the sequence cycles. Use fader 1 for the first pass, 2 for the second, etc. Then go back and compare, and choose the best bits and pieces of each pass.

I can't say enough for being able to use Logic Editors to make fast batch edits to the automation. Some things in the MIDI Key editors are a bit more advanced (though different) than we get in the VST automation lanes.

This method also comes in handy when I want to automate things that do not get a native track type in Cubase. Nearly every function of CuBase (as well as loaded VST/i plugins) can be accessed and triggered from the remote device. I.E. stopping the DAW. Toggling record or monitor on tracks, opening and closing windows, launching macros, etc.

Example: In a live setting I can make a MIDI automation track that will automatically stop the DAW for me at a given point, where it waits for me to start it again. I can drop events into a MIDI track to arm/disarm tracks as needed (Similar to organ stops). Etc...

I have more than a dozen generic remote maps, but I don't use them all the time. To disable the ones I am not using I simply set their MIDI inputs to 'none'.

In the rare event you really want a single CC to do multiple things at once, you can also 'stack more than one generic device map' and have them all listen to the same input for the same incoming event at once.
Last edited by Brian Roland on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brian Roland

Post by Brian Roland » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 am

P.S.

If you don't need or want to work with remote maps, you still might find loopMIDI helpful in respect to working with your MIDI sends.

I.E. Direct a MIDI track send (instrument tracks do not have these, but MIDI tracks do) to use a virtual MIDI port, and bring that back into a new track where you could filter/process things with local, global, or track insert MIDI transformers, record it there if desired, then send it back to the controller.

This way, you can:
1. Filter out any non relevant MIDI events with a local MIDI transformer. I.E. Maybe you don't need note on/off events going back to the controller.

2. Easily 'arm/disarm' the track as needed. Toggle record or monitor buttons off when you do NOT want any values echoed back to the controller.

Return to “General”