Softube Console 1 full integration with Cubase 9.5 is finally here

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Softube Console 1 full integration with Cubase 9.5 is finally here

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

myhrik

Re: Softube Console 1 full integration with Cubase 9.5 is finally here

Post by myhrik » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:24 pm

LOVE it! I finally have to get a Console 1, then :D
Eirik Myhr - Composer and musician - http://eirikmyhr.no
Hardware: iMac 27" Retina (Late 2015, 4 core, Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, macOS 10.12.4), Apollo Twin Duo TB + Satellite Quad TB, Steinberg CMC-AI+CH+TP, Avid Artist Mix, NI Komplete Kontrol S61, Audient ASP880
Software: Cubase Pro 9.5.10, Dorico 1.2, WaveLab Pro 9.5, Pro Tools HD 2018.4, Sibelius 7.5, NI Komplete Ultimate 10, UAD Plugins 9.1.0, SoundToys 5.1.1, Waves 9.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1.1.011, Addictive Drums 2.1.7, UVI Workstation 2.6.8, Omnisphere 2, Xpand 2

J-S-Q

Post by J-S-Q » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Yep, might have to get one of these too. Does it not require an update to Cubase itself though?
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm

All you have to do is download the latest Console 1 update. Cubase 9.5 already comes with everything needed for it to work.
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=2.4.45

Cubase 9.5 will be updated very soon, but you don't have to wait for that.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

zooterman

Post by zooterman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Yay!!!
Cubase Pro 10.0.10 | Mac Pro 6-core 3.5GHz 32GB RAM | macOS Mojave

djrustycans

Re: Cubase 9 integration with Softube's Console-1

Post by djrustycans » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am

Thank you for this, Steinberg. This really is a fantastic addition to Cubase. What a workflow enhancement for those of us lucky enough to own a Console 1!

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 am

skillet wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 am
Thanks for the feedback, no luck here on my end either, I guess I will just wait it out. Why not we've been waiting already why not another 36 hours? Patience can be so difficult ;)
After installing the softube update it worked straight away for me.

21seven

Post by 21seven » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm

I have installed the Softube update (manually, I don't use Gobbler and I have an Ilok). I am on Cubase 9.5.10 (Windows 7 64 bit). Nothing is happening here. When I add the console 1 plugin to tracks I get a message saying my DAW does not support automatic track naming. Same as it did before the Softube update. Am I the only one having this problem?

Does anyone has any suggestions/links to instructions?

skillet

Post by skillet » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm

21seven wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm
I have installed the Softube update (manually, I don't use Gobbler and I have an Ilok). I am on Cubase 9.5.10 (Windows 7 64 bit). Nothing is happening here. When I add the console 1 plugin to tracks I get a message saying my DAW does not support automatic track naming. Same as it did before the Softube update. Am I the only one having this problem?

I have an ilok too but chose to go with Gobble for these automatic updates until iLok integrates that fine feature. I do prefer using the iLok to move license quickly though.

It is now working here for me, I downloaded the Gobbler installer (even though it was the same version I already had) and logged out and back in a couple times and then it showed up multiple updates which took a while to run and now it is working. I didn't have to do anything to Cubase. The track selection update working in conjunction with CC121 is fantastic!

Here a few pictures of the before and after the update. I didn't take any pictures of the plug-in settings before the update unfortnatly but you will see there are several more options then you had before.

http://reference.StudioPrime.com/forums ... ptions.jpg

http://reference.StudioPrime.com/forums ... ansfer.jpg

http://reference.StudioPrime.com/forums ... nsole1.jpg

http://reference.StudioPrime.com/forums ... ptions.jpg

As a side note it is interesting that shift plus the volume changes the volume in the plug-ins instead of the select that it shows underneath it in yellow. That of course make sense but hold shift and never did anything with the yellow select before that I was able to notice or find in the manual. I think select in this case just means to select options when you have a window open to change settings rather than anything to do with shift so choosing yellow was probably the wrong color to use. Same thing goes for the OK and Cancel buttons.
OSX Version 10.11.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 9.0.20 | Nuendo 7.1.30 + Expansion Kit | Pro Tools 12.8 | Logic 10.3 | Digital Performer 8.0.7 | Ableton Live 9.7

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: M-Audio Venom Keyboard, Roland A-33; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2

Timo

Post by Timo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Does Console 1 support work in older Cubase versions (9.0, 8.5, 7.5), too? Could someone please try this?
Tanzmusik und Hochzeitsband: The Rainbows - Music & Fun

skillet

Post by skillet » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Are you asking if you open up a 9.5 session with Console 1 back in earlier versions? You could use Console 1 in earlier versions it just won't have the new features of course unless you are running 9.5. You can open older versions that had Console 1 and they update to the new features unless you turn them off in the plug-in. There is a preference to let you know the features it supports on start up for the Console 1 app.
OSX Version 10.11.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 9.0.20 | Nuendo 7.1.30 + Expansion Kit | Pro Tools 12.8 | Logic 10.3 | Digital Performer 8.0.7 | Ableton Live 9.7

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: M-Audio Venom Keyboard, Roland A-33; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm

21seven wrote:

You have to use VST3

mpascual

Post by mpascual » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm glad to see this finally implemented and the communication between Cubase and the hardware works great. However, I have found an extrange behaviour, if I have some tracks in the project that use the Console 1 plugin, when I enable or disable any track, the track selected should stay on the just enabled/disabled track, but instead it goes to a different random track in the project. It's very extrange and a probIem when working with big templates. Has anyone tried enabling/disabling tracks with the latest version of Console 1 in the project? And is this also happening to any of you?

cubace

Post by cubace » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm

So what cubase functions can you control with this controller? Yes, I know it can handle softube plugins, but what else?

digi001

Post by digi001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 pm

cubace wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm
So what cubase functions can you control with this controller? Yes, I know it can handle softube plugins, but what else?
I was wondering the same thing at first.....but don't think of it as a Midi Controller for plugins. It's not some Novation Auto-map thing.
Think of it as a Virtual Console.
(Consoles are those things records used to be made on.)

You put it on every channel and then you have either SSL or Neve Console to mix with. That's it...and its amazing.
I do my mix now sitting back in my chair without touching the mouse. Sounds gimmicky but its not really....it super fast workflow.
If you want to patch in a Waves or other plugin not supported (or Hardware FX insert in my case).....you goto the computer and use the mouse to patch it in, (almost like patching in for a real console)

(oh and now it supports UAD Apollo plugins which is just a cool bonus. let's you dial in sounds using your ears and a knob rather mouse)
2013 MacPro 6 Core OSX 10.11 - 32 GB RAM / Universal Audio Thunderbolt Apollos qty 3
Cubase 9.5.30
Mackie MCU Pro / Softube Console 1
Analog Outboard Studio using 32 channels of External FX for Mixdown

digi001

Post by digi001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm

All this update really brought to the table is Panning, 2 FX Sends and it now directly controls the Cubase fader.

I was fine with the out volume being separate, but the Panning is huge. People underestimate the power of Panning. Sometimes alone it is more powerful than any EQ or Compression.
2013 MacPro 6 Core OSX 10.11 - 32 GB RAM / Universal Audio Thunderbolt Apollos qty 3
Cubase 9.5.30

digi001

Post by digi001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 pm

.....I also VERY quickly got over the fact that it doesn't show the UAD plugin GUI. The way softube incorporated each of the plugins was super thought-out and helpful. I almost prefer it now over seeing the screen which can sometimes provide a bias.
Cubase 9.5.30

cubace

Post by cubace » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:09 pm

digi001 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm
All this update really brought to the table is Panning, 2 FX Sends and it now directly controls the Cubase fader.

I was fine with the out volume being separate, but the Panning is huge. People underestimate the power of Panning. Sometimes alone it is more powerful than any EQ or Compression.
I found that video from softube. If that is all the integration they have with cubase I thing will die laughing on the studio floor.

digi001

Post by digi001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

What exactly is it that you are looking for?
A 'make Top 40 hit song' button? :P

(Ok admitingly I was expecting a little more myself too. But in practice it is really everything I need at this point)
I have:
-Console 1 for the channel strip/console emulation
-Mackie MCU Pro for motorized Faders, 8 of them
-Moog Minataur for misc MIDI Quick Controls.

The console 1 in my opinion doesn't feel that great for volume automation and will never beat motorized faders in banks of 8...I guess it would have been nice to use the Console 1 for the Moog Minitaur job.....BUT the Midi CC mapping on the Console 1 thing is all wacky and was not working for me.
Cubase 9.5.30

Zacchino

Post by Zacchino » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Wow congrats @Steinberg / @-steve,
Having a low latency Soundcard + a DSP processor + Channel strip Controls + Lengedary plugins + seamlessly integrated in the DAW... it's a dream come true.

I wish they could thow in some MPC-like pads for the next version, not sure if it would make sense marketing-wise.

@digi001
What's the issue with Console1's Midi CC? Doesn't it have some kind of "right-clic > learn midi cc" contextual menu?

digi001

Post by digi001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Not sure exactly.....I contacted Softube about it, but didn't really get a full response.
Basically it seems like it really isn't designed to be used as a generic Midi CC Controller from what I can tell.

You can put it in a generic CC mode via some trick as recommended by Softube (i forget exactly the steps)...but once I did that and tried to control say a Filter Cutoff via Midi Learn, the Console Controller would act very strange. It controlled it in a sense, but was only able to swing the filter to fully on then to fully off....weird stuff like that. The Midi Learn CC quickly flooded with mappings and it didn't work.

Maybe this update fixes that?
Cubase 9.5.30

21seven

Post by 21seven » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:39 pm

folkfreak wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm
21seven wrote:

You have to use VST3
Yes, totally spot on! It all works now, thank you :-)

cubace

Post by cubace » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 am

digi001 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

(Ok admitingly I was expecting a little more myself too. But in practice it is really everything I need at this point)
I have:

The console 1 in my opinion doesn't feel that great for volume automation and will never beat motorized faders in banks of 8...I guess it would have been nice to use the Console 1 for the Moog Minitaur job.....BUT the Midi CC mapping on the Console 1 thing is all wacky and was not working for me.
Minimum that all the steinberg compressors/eq/limiters/deessers etc was mapped to the controller. That goes for the internal channel strip as well for the plugins that you drop in.

For some higher score they also should have a easy way to map plugin from other vendors like waves, fabfilter etc including a web site where users could share their mappings.

But Im not surprised, it seems to be very very hard for steinberg to accept that their users would like to have remote controllers. Someone there love their GUI and think it is the perfect solution.

Detch

Post by Detch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 am

one thing that concerns me. If for example you have 6 tracks and one console1 instance.
Then when you add a new track, track focus jumps to the track with Console 1 INSTEAD of newly created track
This is very irritating when you have big projects and console one is somewhere on the bottom. Then you add new track on top and the whole thing jumps down and you need to look for the newly created track.

Same happens when you delete the track. The selection goes not to the next track but jumps to some random one where Console 1 is loaded.
Cubase 10.0.5, Windows 10 x64, i7 7700K, 32GB ram, Geforce GTX760

digi001

Post by digi001 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:40 pm

cubace wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 am
digi001 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I have:

Minimum that all the steinberg compressors/eq/limiters/deessers etc was mapped to the controller. That goes for the internal channel strip as well for the plugins that you drop in.

For some higher score they also should have a easy way to map plugin from other vendors like waves, fabfilter etc including a web site where users could share their mappings.

But Im not surprised, it seems to be very very hard for steinberg to accept that their users would like to have remote controllers. Someone there love their GUI and think it is the perfect solution.
In case you already don't know this.....the CC121 maps to the Cubase channel. So grab one of those if you would like to have that.
(I bought the Console 1 because I want to use that for my channel, not the Cubase channel)

Also, you can get a X-Touch / MCU Pro or other Mackie compatible device. This maps automatically to every insert and parameter.
I have the MCU Pro, but I only use it for the volume faders not for every parameter on every insert. For me its quicker to use Console 1 for 80% of what I need in a mix, the bread and butter Filter/Transient Shape/EQ/Compression....and the rest of the 20% I do with a mouse which I don't mind because those are specific tasks.

I'm happy with what Steinberg delivered. What would be cool for me regarding mixing would be Dual Mono option (like Logic X has), and some sort of additional Crosstalk/Summing Console emulation.
Cubase 9.5.30

Return to “General”