Artist vs. Elements re:sound qual

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
moreno

Artist vs. Elements re:sound qual

Post by moreno » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Been quite happy with Elements for my humble purposes, but now wondering about an upgrade to artist. Specifically, I notice that when I play VST intruments via the keyboad they sound great but when played in Elements they sound, well, not so great. Is the quality of the intrument sounds much better in Artist?
Thanks.

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Re: Artist vs. Elements re:sound qual

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm

If you're talking about the audio output quality, then it's exactly the same in all versions. Make sure that your audio isn't clipping and that your audio interface is using the right settings.

If you're talking about the included instruments, then yes, the ones included with Cubase Artist are much better.

Cubase Elements only comes with a very basic virtual analog synthesizer, basic General MIDI sounds for Halion Sonic SE (taken from a 90's Yamaha module) and Groove Agent SE 4.

Cubase Artist adds many sounds from much newer Yamaha keyboards to Halion Sonic SE, and also includes a much better sounding virtual analog synthesizer, a very highly regarded granular synthesizer, LoopMash, and two other synths capable of highly unusual sounds. New to Cubase 9.5 is the Flux wavetable synthesizer for Halion Sonic SE, capable of producing many sounds found in modern music.

Cubase Pro further expands the Halion Sonic SE library with sounds from even newer Yamaha keyboards, many featuring multiple articulations.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

moreno

Post by moreno » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for replying. A few questions. (and I should add: I have been coasting on most things technical for quite a while, haven't adjusted anything since I bought it a couple of years ago. So I am fairly ignorant when it comes to troubleshooting the set up)
1) When you mention 'audio clipping' I assume you mean with audio tracks, rather then Midi tracks? My audio tracks come out sounding fine. It's this odd thing where if I call up Halion, load an instrument and play Halion's keyboard, the sound quality is really rich. Say with just everyday instruments, saxaphones, cellos, etc. But then once I lay down a Midi track, either by playing via an external synth or by writing directly into the track or even using the Halion keyboard itself, the sound is not as good. How can I check that I have my audio set up correct? Or, what might be wrong if the issue you are raising applies to MIDI tracks?
2) Your description of Artist makes it sound quite a bit better sounds wise. My needs are still fairly simple and center on the re-creation of intruments - rather than say interesting synth sounds. So will a flute in artist come out richer and more realistic than a flute in Elements. That's what I am looking for.

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:09 pm

1 - Then it's probably not your audio interface. I suspect that you're just not playing the notes hard enough, which would make the sounds very quiet. Maybe you have a MIDI keyboard that's not touch (velocity) sensitive? Try adjusting the MIDI velocity of the notes using the key editor/piano roll.

2 - Yes, for the most part the Artist sounds will be noticeable more realistic and deeper sounding. The guitars, brass, string ensembles, pianos, and saxes in particular sound MUCH better. Cubase Pro has 366 more presets, mostly using instrument samples not found in Artist, though it does have some extra variations of the sounds found in Artist which you may like more.

You can upgrade to Artist and then upgrade to Pro at a later date if you feel like it. You don't lose money if you decide to do that.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

moreno

Post by moreno » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi, thanks again.
I think I tried upping the velocity, but I will give that a shot.
Otherwise perhaps it's time for Artist.
Have good holidays.

elmckay

Post by elmckay » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:42 pm

That 100% sounds like a setup issue to me. If there's other reasons to upgrade go for it by all means, but they definitely don't reduce sound quality in the way that you describe in Elements. I wish I could help you out further but I'm not experienced enough to do so. Hopefully if you keep shouting loud enough someone will hear you :D

Return to “Presales”