upgrading from version 5 edu

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
chrisspob

upgrading from version 5 edu

Post by chrisspob » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:43 am

can anyone help?

im wanting to upgrade my cubase to version 9 from an old version of the full cubase 5.53 educational version i have, i understand that i wont get the same upgrade deal as if it was the not the edu version

i found a post from a user with a similar dilema and he had cubase studio 5 and was told he can upgrade using the upgrade option from cubase ai in the shop! as i have a more expensive version maybe theres a different upgrade option available for me but im not sure !

Ive left 2 messages for steinberg from my steinberg account and they have not replied to either of them! one a month old now and one 8 days !

i just want to make sure when i purchase version 9 im aware of any or no upgrade options available before i decide which version to purchase!

Thanks for any advice

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Re: upgrading from version 5 edu

Post by Romantique Tp » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 am

The option you should pick is Update from Cubase 4 / 5 / 6 / 6.5. You can only upgrade to Cubase Pro. This will turn your educational license into a regular license.

Educational versions have nothing to do with Cubase AI or LE. These are cutdown versions that come for free with audio hardware, while educational versions are paid and aren't missing any features.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

chrisspob

Post by chrisspob » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 am

this is ideally what i want to do ! but because i bought edu and not the full priced version when i choose that upgrade option you mention in the shop i dont think i qualify for that discount, and might end up having to get a refund ! it would help if i could link my license number to the purchase to see what upgrades are available and if i qualify but you cant, and steinberg haven't replied to my 2 messages to find out if there is a discount upgrade available with my license.

im quite happy to upgrade to version 9 pro but i want to know what the discount is first if any !

chrisspob

Post by chrisspob » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 am
The option you should pick is Update from Cubase 4 / 5 / 6 / 6.5. You can only upgrade to Cubase Pro. This will turn your educational license into a regular license.

Educational versions have nothing to do with Cubase AI or LE. These are cutdown versions that come for free with audio hardware, while educational versions are paid and aren't missing any features.
after some more research and fishing on some forums i think you are correct ! i now do believe i can upgrade to pro 9 using the upgrade option from version 5 even though its education because im still upgrading to the same version just the newer equivalent version of what i have which will cost £259 and thats ok and alot cheaper than if i had to pay the full price at £480 with no discount !

i hope this the case and actually prevents me from buying a lesser version artist too !

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Please just read the FAQ.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/education/faq.html

This is the first thing you should have looked for if you were doubting that the upgrade would work.
If your assumptions were true (they are not) then it would be IMPOSSIBLE to upgrade from an educational license.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

dcasanares

Post by dcasanares » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 am

So if you have Cubase 5 edu and you are install in college or a professor can you upgrade your Cubase 5 edu to Cubase Pro 9 edu?

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm

dcasanares wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm
So if you have Cubase 5 edu and you are install in college or a professor can you upgrade your Cubase 5 edu to Cubase Pro 9 edu?
Yes, you can upgrade to Cubase Pro 9.5 if you feel like. Just remember that there are no educational discounts on upgrades, you'll pay the same as a normal Cubase 5 user.

Return to “Presales”