Orchestral composer questions

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
kenrob2037

Orchestral composer questions

Post by kenrob2037 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:56 am

Hello Everyone,

I’m new here, living in the land down under.

I’m an orchestral composer. I’ve been using Mixcraft 8 Pro, Abelton and Pro Tools over the years. And all my music is built in Sibelius.

I save to midi and open in these daws. I find none of the daws I have tried work well with the midi files from Sibelius. There’s always something that does not transcribe well, things like panning, cressendo and dimenudo and tremolo.

Does anyone use Cubase with Sibelius midi files and find that get all the dynamics and articulation of orchestral instruments coming over into Cubase?

How are the orchestral instrument sounds in Cubase? In Mixcraft they are poor, in Abelton and Protools they are basically non existent in my opinion.

Does Cubase handel Music XML files? If so, do they transcribe better than midi in Cubase?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on my questions.

Cheers

Rob

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Orchestral composer questions

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi,

Yes, Cubase can import musicXML.

Regarding the sound, it depends what library so you use. If you use internal HALion Sonic SE, the sound is poor comparison to dedicated VSL libraries.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

robw

Re: Orchestral composer questions

Post by robw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:35 am

Here's an earlier thread on the same topic:
https://japan.steinberg.net/forums/view ... 0&t=123504

You will though need a reasonable Orchestral library to get the additional articulations. Halion Symphonic Orchestra is ok. But VSL or East West Orchestra gold are way better
Cubase 9.5 | Steinberg UR44 | Korg Kronos X
Intel i7 3770 | Gigabyte MB Z77 | 32 Gigs RAM | NVIDIA GTX970
NI Komplete Ultimate 9 | Steinberg Pad Shop Pro, Halion 6 | Composer Cloud X

Return to “Presales”