Sonar Refugee with License/Dongle Issues

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
emptybe

Sonar Refugee with License/Dongle Issues

Post by emptybe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello Peeps. I'm one of the many Sonar refugees looking for solace in Cubase. I make music for a living so my setup is critical and Cubase 9.5 looks pretty good (if unfamiliar). I was about to pull the trigger and go full Cubase 9.5 but had some pressing concerns about the licensing and crossgrade:
- I'm on Sonar X3 and all the crossgrade stuff seems to be about Platinum. Does that mean I have to pay full price? Or is there some easier route?
- I run 2 DAWs - one in my studio and one at home. I've been doing lots of reading about dongle/s and still don't see how I can run Cubase Pro on both machines without either paying for 2 licenses or taking the dongle with me into work every day. Can't I have one license and 2 dongles as long as I'm never using cubase on both machines at the same time?
- I've read that I could run Pro on my studio DAW and Elements on my home one but will I get some compatability issues? I run 2 machines that direct sync all the audio and project files so I can work on something in the studio in the day and tweak in the evening if I have to.

Any insights appreciated... :roll:

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Re: Sonar Refugee with License/Dongle Issues

Post by Romantique Tp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 am

1) It seems to be for Sonar Platinum and Professional only, but try contacting a store selling the crossgrade or Steinberg and ask.

2) That's not possible, you will have to take the dongle with you if you only have a single license. They're currently developing an alternative form of licensing that might make things better for people like you. It will take a while until it's complete though.

3) There should be no compatibility issues, but there are Cubase Pro exclusive plugins that wont load if you open the project in Elements. Check the manual to see which ones are exclusive to Artist/Pro. The most commonly used plugins are included with Elements.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

emptybe

Post by emptybe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Steinberg customer service - who took a week to reply that my enquiry needed to be sent to a different email :x and I haven't had a reply to that one yet. Let's see.

Doesn't look like there's a solution yet to the 2 DAW's/dongle problem. I think I'll try taking the dongle between studios or try out the USB over internet thing.

emptybe

Post by emptybe » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:11 pm

More than 4 weeks and counting for Steinberg to reply to my (second) email. Not a great omen for responsiveness. Is this the usual turnaround time for emails?

Return to “Presales”