have you ever seen upgrade price sales for Cubase Pro?

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
TNM

have you ever seen upgrade price sales for Cubase Pro?

Post by TNM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:13 pm

hi, i got so frustrated last year..

I specifically waited and timed everything according to previous cubase releases.. I did not buy 9, as i patiently waited so i could buy it within 30 days of 9.5 coming out so i wouldn't have to pay for both.

I literally thought i had timed it perfectly, and on the very *same* day i went to the cubase store to buy the 9 upgrade, 9.5 was out. I kid you not, the very same day.

And suddenly, the upgrade from 8.5 pro was 239 AUD instead of 149 AUD.
:roll:

I just don't use cubase enough to justify it.. so i might try my luck with waiting to buy 9.5 till 10 is close to release and getting 10.0 for free.

OR..

does anyone know if steinberg EVER have upgrade price sales? if so, i have been so patient as is, i can be patient again.

I looked at their Xmas calendar every day and they had specials for everything BUT cubase 9.5.. so frustrating..
I just don't want to pay $239 to go from 8.5 to 9.5, frankly i think it's ridiculous.

I pay $99 USD per year to stay up to date with pro tools, that's it, and already last year we had heaps of updates to justify it. And look at what free updates apple have given from Logic 10.0 to 10.4.. it's absolutely staggering.. i paid 199 usd for logic, one time, almost 5 years ago now, and all these freebies.

Anyway, if the Berg never have sales, does anyone remember when 9.0 was released and if there were rumors before it happened? I will try and time the 10 release so at least if i pay 239 i get that too.
1) 2.8ghz quad i7 retina 15" MBP, 16GB ram, 1TB Apple SSD, 10.12.6, C9.5.1 Pro, ApolloTwin9.5 T Bolt, LacieSSD T Bolt
2) 3.4ghz i7 iMac quad, Apple SSD, 2 x T Bolt SSD, 2Tb 7200, 32GB Ram, 10.12.6, Apollo8 T Bolt x2, Yamaha KX61, C9.5.1 Pro

planarchist

Re: have you ever seen upgrade price sales for Cubase Pro?

Post by planarchist » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes, the last few years there have been sales in the summer on both updates and upgrades. They usually last about a month. If you're a registered user who clicked the box that said you wanted marketing information you might even get an email about it (not everyone does). Failing the email you'll have to keep checking in here every few weeks to see the posts from people moaning that they bought it three seconds before and had to pay full price. FWIW what you want is an Update (Upgrades, as far as Steinberg are concerned, are for going from Elements to Artist/Pro etc).

Alternatively you can try and wait to get Ten for free by buying 9.5 just before Ten is released. But you'll only be guessing at when this will be. Until 9.5 Steinberg were releasing new versions on the first Thursday of December and presumably some folk, aware of this, were using this to buy the previous version just before the release and so save some money and get the next version free. Steinberg grew wise to this (presumably) and this year released 9.5 a few weeks earlier.

Good luck!
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

TNM

Post by TNM » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 pm

yeah that's what happened to me with 9.5.. lol..

Ok then if the updates go on sale, i will wait. I am most definitely on the mailing list and get all the steinberg emails, and i'll check every couple of weeks here also.

Cheers
1) 2.8ghz quad i7 retina 15" MBP, 16GB ram, 1TB Apple SSD, 10.12.6, C9.5.1 Pro, ApolloTwin9.5 T Bolt, LacieSSD T Bolt
2) 3.4ghz i7 iMac quad, Apple SSD, 2 x T Bolt SSD, 2Tb 7200, 32GB Ram, 10.12.6, Apollo8 T Bolt x2, Yamaha KX61, C9.5.1 Pro

TNM

demo time?

Post by TNM » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi, i thought i would post this here than start a new topic..

I downloaded the 9.5 demo the day it became available..

and it's still not expired.. it is well past the 30 days... well past.

Every time i launch it cubase says i have 2hrs and 33 minutes remaining but it doesn't change.

Someone elsewhere suggested that Steinberg provide 30 full days i.e 720 hrs of use.... is this correct? Is that why it still works?

Just that I have spent no more than half hour or maybe 1 hr per day.. I just quickly do things i test vs pro tools, editing tasks and stuff, to compare speed of workflow..

performance testing as well..

Does this mean the demo will actually work till i use all those hours, even possibly for months? I mean i don't mind, it means that the sale might come at the right time for me to upgrade, but I want to make sure it's ok and nothing is "wrong" or "non legal" with what is happening here. All i did was put the demo license on my dongle and installed the program as i would do any program. So....

planarchist

Re: demo time?

Post by planarchist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:39 pm

TNM wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 pm
Every time i launch it cubase says i have 2hrs and 33 minutes remaining but it doesn't change.

Someone elsewhere suggested that Steinberg provide 30 full days i.e 720 hrs of use.... is this correct? Is that why it still works?

Just that I have spent no more than half hour or maybe 1 hr per day.. I just quickly do things i test vs pro tools, editing tasks and stuff, to compare speed of workflow..

Does this mean the demo will actually work till i use all those hours, even possibly for months? I mean i don't mind, it means that the sale might come at the right time for me to upgrade, but I want to make sure it's ok and nothing is "wrong" or "non legal" with what is happening here. All i did was put the demo license on my dongle and installed the program as i would do any program. So....
This is not normal behaviour, no, it's 30 calendar days, usually not 30 x 24 hours of use. Something funny going on with your trial.....I expect at some point it will catch up with you so enjoy it while it lasts!
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

TNM

Re: demo time?

Post by TNM » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:50 pm

planarchist wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:39 pm
TNM wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 pm

This is not normal behaviour, no, it's 30 calendar days, usually not 30 x 24 hours of use. Something funny going on with your trial.....I expect at some point it will catch up with you so enjoy it while it lasts!
hmmm.. it did also happen with wavelab 8 a couple years back.. the same, 2 hrs 33 minutes.

But if Steinberg confirm this is not how it should be and I should not have access, I will buy it immediately even at the inflated price, to do the right thing.

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 am

Do you have an “All Applications” license on the dongle?
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

TNM

Post by TNM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:24 am

yes - steinberg, non movable, remaining time 2hr 33 min 22 seconds.

That hasn't changed in weeks.

the cubase pro 9.5 trial actually says expired..

perhaps i have discovered a flaw in the demo system as honestly this has happened to me before with Steinberg demos.

I'm just going to buy it as i am pretty sure i am moving to cubase for at least 50% of my work. (Vi and midi work) and will stay with PT for my remixing and audio work (love the beat mapping better than cubase, love the inline elastic audio no separate window or dock needs to be opened, love the volume audio editing).

I really was waiting to get 9 for 149$ and the same day i went to buy it, 9.5 appeared. I have never even heard of such bad coincidental luck LOL.

This is why i have put it off, but if i am benefitting from a faulty demo, i can't live with that either. It's wrong.

And now of course I also wish i bought wavelab during Xmas calendar sale.. it was still just sooo expensive.. but after trying everything else on the planet, nothing beats it for mastering. nada. The best cheap solution for audio editing on the mac, if anyone is interested, that can do realtime plugin inserts and cd burning (no ddp yet though) is acon acoustica. That's pretty damn good. Much more powerful than wavelab essentials. Sound forge is pleasant to use but crashes with it's own shadow and is limited really.. but a nice audio editor.. not $400 USD worth though, that's for sure. Sorry for swaying ot!

TNM

Bought

Post by TNM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:37 am

Edit, all good, i just bought it and paid the horrendous 238 AUD (to put it in perspective, i pay just $125 aud per year for pro tools, but i only paid $125 FOR pro tools to begin with so for 2 years so far my entire pro tools investment is 250 AUD lol, barely more than just this upgrade for one product version). And yes it's a perpetual PT license.

I did the right thing but i'll be whining about it to myself for a day or two lol, as it's now limited funds momentarily and i'll have to postpone my passport renewal.
But Steinberg i love you and had to support you.
You interact with users here and that's SO important.. Furthermore i feel Cubase will still be here even after the roaches are all dead lol..it's a safe bet for the future.
Cheers

TNM

Post by TNM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm

well I am pretty annoyed..

I have my steinberg receipt and i was charged in AUD of $238 including 10% australian tax.

Now my CC statement has come through and I have been charged currency conversion fees on top. What the hell? Just under $246

I have NEVER EVER in 15 YEARS of same card, been charged a conversion fee for something billed in AUD. So there is obviously some funny business going on, where steinberg pretend they are charging you in local currency but use something else.

I agreed to pay AUD 238 total. That was already way too high for a single version upgrade as it was, but that's what I agreed to.

Who do i speak to about this? I go to support and it tells me to contact local distributor! Local distributor did not charge me, the steinberg shop did!

I am not paying a single cent over what I agreed to pay.. If i have to do a chargeback, I will, and steinberg can redact the license. I really don't care as I do not like being ripped off. How am i supposed to talk to the relevant support when the form is not working here?

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Contact asknet support using the second link in this page. It's asknet that handles the web shop and billing stuff, not Steinberg:
https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/pages/contact/ml=EN
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

TNM

Post by TNM » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 am

ok thank you I will try right now..

I just found out by going though my history that it was done to me a year or whatever back when i bought the absolute 3 upgrade as well.. although i don't mind that as i got it at half price..That was a really good deal.

but the point is, steinberg have to warn, and ideally in advance, that they are not actually billing in local currency.. I have checked every single aspect of the receipt and there is nothing anywhere to say it will be more than the amount shown..

All these years i have been buying from steinberg shop and i never once thought to check before.. I only caught it by chance. I have probably paid like 100$ in fees overall i had no idea about LOL.

Oh well, i will be buying upgrades from a US store from now on if possible, which is cheaper to begin with (was 215 AUD vs 238) but i just thought i'd do it the easy way and I got punished for it.

Anyway, i buy so much software since i started using daw 21 years ago, and never such a thing have happened before, unless i buy something directly in a foreign currency... but never when billed in AUD.. Thanks for your help, let's see if they reply :)

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I would be very surprised if this is down to Steinberg directly.
These charges are usually imposed by one of the banks or card companies along the way. Indeed Steinberg may not even be aware of it so shall be interested to see what they (or AskNet, who are the selling Agents) have to say. It certainly sounds like someone has screwed up somewhere as it shouldn’t be possible to add such a fee without informing you. If you get no answer from AskNet you should go to your CC company, as I’m sure you will!
Nic

TNM

Post by TNM » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 am

Hi Nic

asknet are doing something that causes this for sure.. this is why it will be interesting to see what they say, and Monday morning i will ask my bank why the charge happened. Even with paypal, i let paypal do the conversion so i get billed in AU, and thousands of purchases and never any kind of conversion fee from bank.

Ultimately i was shocked and upset but I am not going to cause any trouble and lose the license over just a bit more than 7 dollars lol, but i think it's worthwhile to follow up and at least get to the bottom of it, so if it's "normal", steinberg can out the disclaimer on the shop.

Thanks for the help as always. Wow you and Romantique Tip are amazing! Always helping everyone.

EDIT: Asknet were helpful and after a 3 email exchange refunded the said amount. They still have no idea why i was charged the fee, but from now on unless on sale, I will buy Steinberg stuff elsewhere rather than the direct shop.. unless of course Asknet can safely say the issue is resolved one day.

Return to “Presales”