upgrade Halion? or to Artist 9.5 from Elements 9.5?

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
tedcousens

upgrade Halion? or to Artist 9.5 from Elements 9.5?

Post by tedcousens » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm

I have Elements 9.5 and I believe the version of Halion is SE (but no number?) As Halion 3 and 6 are on sale, I was wondering which upgrade tab to use, or spend $199 and upgrade to Artist? Anyone have experience with this?

ColinPark

Re: upgrade Halion? or to Artist 9.5 from Elements 9.5?

Post by ColinPark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:30 pm

It depends on where you are feeling confined. Are you running low on VST slots, want to do side-chaining, finding your workflow cumbersome, need more effects processors -- that sort of thing suggests upgrading Cubase. OTOH, if you are into sound design, very fussy about being able to tweak VSTi sounds, and want a couple of thousand more presets, then HALion would be the way to go. You do get some more elbow room with synths in Cubase Artist compared to Cubase Elements, just not nearly as much. Cubase Artist includes some nice Halion libraries.

So the basic question is "How heavily are you into synths?" If you're the type of person who rarely uses them, or is happy with what the presets and their quick controls do, then upgrade Cubase. That's the safe choice for most people. But if you are totally about synths, then HALion is the better choice. I just took that 50% off offer, and I'm amazed at what it can do.

The secondary question is about money. HALion doesn't go on sale very often. If you want both, and you can afford to wait on Cubase Artist, you could get HALion now and upgrade Cubase later. If your pockets are deep, you could try applying the code to both purchases now.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 9.5.21 [build 3], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutro 2 Std, Rx6 El; Sonarworks Ref 4.

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm

You can't upgrade from Halion Sonic SE 3, it's a free bonus included with Cubase.

What you should pick of course depends on what you need and plan to do.

If you simply need better instruments, I would pick either Halion Sonic 3 or Halion 6 during the sale and then upgrade Cubase later. Halion 6 gives you more freedom and deeper access to the synth engines including sample/wavetable import and export, but Halion Sonic is quite powerful on its own.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... fects.html

Upgrading to Cubase Artist gives you features and content, including two very good sounding synths based on simplified versions of the Halion synth and granular engines, plus hundreds of new acoustic instrument sounds and a wavetable synthesizer for Halion Sonic SE.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/c ... g_ins.html (some of the listed effects are Cubase Pro only!)

The Halion Sonic SE sounds, specially the acoustic instruments, are almost all different from the full version.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

tedcousens

Post by tedcousens » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks for all the good feedback. So if I upgrade to Artist, it doesn't upgrade Halion. Im told that 6 is a terrifi\c buy. My question is, would I have to pay full price? I see Halion 1/2 and 3 but no SE so it would be a full purchase and not an upgrade? Thanks again for all the good info. In my world, I like having a lot of sounds but am not constructing or editing them.

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Yes, you'll have to pay the full (currently on sale) price. Like I said, Halion Sonic SE is a free bonus for Cubase owners so it can't be upgraded.

If you don't plan to edit the sounds, Halion Sonic 3 will be the best choice.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

tedcousens

Post by tedcousens » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks, gonna wait and upgrade Artist some time in the future. From there I will have Halion SE 2 - and I believe that is upgradable, yes?

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:44 pm

No, it's still the exact same plugin, you just get more content for it.

The only stock Cubase plugin that can be upgraded is Padshop.

tedcousens

Post by tedcousens » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 am

Then I will wait for a sale on Artist. And Kontakt. Got a huge library of stuff for it. That's for another forum. :)

Return to “Presales”