can’t download the Cubase 9.5 trial for macOS

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
ez1mart

can’t download the Cubase 9.5 trial for macOS

Post by ez1mart » Tue May 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Hello.
Anybody, please, help me to resolve the problem.
Why can't I download the trial version of Cubase 9.5 for mac OS? On this query I got a link to Steinberg_Download_Assistant_1.12.1_Installer and installed it. Each time the Assistant is started, it 2 minutes later reports: «Error. Cannot connect to the download server. Exit the program.»
Internet connection is OK.

Wouldn't it be the same when I pay for the full version of Cubase 9.5?
Before buying, I need to test Cubase 9.5 on my new iMac with macOS High Sierra 10.13.2.

Thank you

Dirk Stegemann
Steinberg Employee

Re: can’t download the Cubase 9.5 trial for macOS

Post by Dirk Stegemann » Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 am

You could open the "Console" utility application to review SDA's error logs to see whether there is some useful information about the reason the network access is failing; they are located at:
-> ~/Library/Logs
--> Steinberg
---> Download Assistant

(Do not confuse with log files created by the SDA installer which are located at the similar, but different path /Library/Logs/Steinberg/Download Assistant).
Dirk Stegemann
Software Developer & QA
SMTG Digital Unit - Services

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Fri May 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello, Dirk Stegemann!
Thank you for the answer.
I looked in the records of the SDA.log, but as a musician it didn't give me anything, this information is for programmers. There are 3 files with thousands of words, how to find useful information?
The forum is a proposal to upgrade the system so that the Manager could download Cubase 9.5 trial. I still thought that macOS 10.13.2 wasn't so old as to not be able to, but today decided to update it to 10.13.4. Tried to start the Manager-the result is the same. Assuming that everything will work on the updated mac OS, I uninstalled it and started the installation again. At the same time, a message appeared: "the Program is not optimized to work on your Mac. It must be updated by the developer to improve compatibility.»
Maybe Apple doesn't like that your Manager is 32-bit? What about really? Prior to my upgrade, at the first installation, there was no such message (maybe I missed it). In the end, I refused the installation to ascertain. Let's move on.

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 am

Oh, sorry for my mistake, I misspelled the Assistant "Manager."

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 am

Today I guessed to check a condition of my Firewall, it was turned ON. Turned it off, installed SDA (now there were no Apple comments) and tried again - unsuccessfully, as before. Now there are 4 files in the folder Mac HD > Library > Application support > Steinberg > Dwld Assistant, and in them I see reflected the events of installations, but not of connection attempts to the download server. What can you say?

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Sat May 12, 2018 9:31 am

Sorry, I don't understand how to get to these folders:
-> ~/Library/Logs
--> Steinberg
---> Download Assistant
What do these arrows mean?

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 am

Well, it seems, found 2 files «…wakeups_resource.diag» by searching. And what to do with it?
Now good by, music, I become a slave of the computer!

Dirk Stegemann
Steinberg Employee

Post by Dirk Stegemann » Mon May 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Instead of manually searching your hard disk for SDA's error logs, please use the "Console" utility application:
Inside your "Applications" folder there is a "Utilities" folder, therein you'll find tools like "Activity Monitor", "Disk Utility" etc.
There is also the aforementioned "Console" utility.

The "Console" utility let's you browse all the log files created on your system.
On the left-side, you'll see a couple of default locations for log files, e.g.
* System Reports
* User Reports
* system.log
* ~/Library/Logs
* /Library/Logs
* /var/log

etc.
Console Utility Screenshot.png
(55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Use the little triangle to open folders, click a folder to view its contents.

Now, open the folder called "~/Library/Logs", then open its "Steinberg" sub folder, then click its "Download Assistant" sub folder.
You should see all the log files created by the SDA.
Dirk Stegemann
Software Developer & QA

Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 am

Hi, Dirk Stegemann!
I did everything as you indicated: opened Console > ~/Library/Application support > Steinberg > Download Assistant. Here I see 10 files … .log from 5 to 12 may. What's next?
By the way, here on the forum in the section "Issues" > StbgDwldAsst I found yesterday's message from the client from Russia (Aurosonic). He writes, that the problem comes from-for blockages servers. So is it worth looking for reasons in my computer? I am russian too. Or it will go to the end?

Dirk Stegemann
Steinberg Employee

Post by Dirk Stegemann » Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 am

ez1mart wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 am
Here I see 10 files … .log from 5 to 12 may. What's next?
Please click the log files to view their contents.
Ideally, you'd find some message that relates to the cause of the problem. There's obviously some kind of networking problem, but without more information, it might not be easy to track it down.

ez1mart wrote: By the way, here on the forum in the section "Issues" > StbgDwldAsst I found yesterday's message from the client from Russia (Aurosonic). He writes, that the problem comes from-for blockages servers. So is it worth looking for reasons in my computer? I am russian too. Or it will go to the end?
That is very interesting (you're referring to this post, I'm assuming).

Indeed, the Steinberg Download Assistant is using AWS infrastructure, so it is not unreasonable to assume that this problem is caused by your government blocking AWS servers.

I'd definitively try to install/configure a proxy server. Maybe just ask user Aurosonic which one he used.
Dirk Stegemann
Software Developer & QA

Hamburg, Germany

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Please, look in private messages.

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Tue May 15, 2018 3:29 pm

The page on your link does not open: "failed to establish secure connection"

ez1mart

Post by ez1mart » Tue May 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi, Dirk Stegemann!
I’ve checked the site https://freevpn.me/accounts/ from today’s post by RADIOINSIDE (in «Issues» again). It looks, there is no Apple macOS support. I’ve sent them the question and waiting the answer. But have no hope.

Well, I did not expect such difficulties. Now I think: if I will decide to buy Cubase 9.5, pay for the order, and then again will be such problems - I'll become crazy. I’m gonna need that Assistant again, right? Sorry to part with Cubase, I'm 7 years used to it and love it. By the way, if you don't mind, can we discuss another matter? I didn't find a way to ask anyone at Steinberg, and you're the only real person in the company for me.
I'll just offer you a long-prepared letter. If you do not have an answer, maybe you can tell me who should send it to get a comprehensive and competent answer. So:

In 2011 I bought Cubase 6 with USB-eLicenser, registered it, then updated to 6.5 and still use it on a Windows-7 PC. I recently purchased iMac Pro with macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 and tried to install Cubase 6 on it, but it is impossible because of incompatibility. Therefore I would like to purchase Cubase 9.5, but not for the full cost (€ 560), but as an update (€ 299) of purchased earlier Cubase 6. Answer, please, how do I act in this case? Thanks.

Return to “Presales”