Cubase 9 and Cubase SL compatable?

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Shaunpak

Cubase 9 and Cubase SL compatable?

Post by Shaunpak » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 am

Greetings. I am highly appreciative in advance for any help.

I recently bought a new computer thinking I could put my old Cubase SL onto it. My Mac says it no longer supports the installer that would install Cubase SL. I am halfway through several songs for a big project I’ve been recording.

Questions....
1. Is there anyway around this?

2. I would be open to upgrading to Cubase 9. But if I do, would I be able to access my projects and continue working on them in the new version? In other words, if you open up Microsoft Word document from but if I do, would I be able to access my projects and continue working on them in the new version? In other words, if you open up an Office 97 Microsoft Word document in Office 2010, you can still edit the document. Is the same true for Cubase? Could I continue the projects from Cubase SL on Cubase 9?

Many thanks!
Shaun

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Cubase 9 and Cubase SL compatable?

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:37 am

Hi and welcome,

If these are CPR files, there is a chance, you will open at least something. Most probably your plug-ins will not work anymore. But you could still have at least some data.

I would recommend to download Cubase Trial, and try by your own.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

planarchist

Re: Cubase 9 and Cubase SL compatable?

Post by planarchist » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Indeed, as Martin says, as long as they are cpr files they should open just fine (I transfer files from SX which is the same age as SL without any problems). The old plugins won't work, also as he says, you may get error messages when you open the files but MIDI & Audio tracks should all come though just fine even if they have non-working plugins on the tracks).

If you already have a dongle seems wise to try the trial version first though.
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Return to “Presales”