Upgrade and cross-platform?

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Post Reply
MikeC
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 pm
Contact:

Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi,
I've used Cubase since the early 1990s (originally using an Atari), and I have Cubase VST 5 for Mac - but I took 10 years away from music production, which is why it's an old version.
I'm wanting to get back to music and buy Cubase Pro 9.5, but there's nothing clear in the Steinberg website's shop as to how I'd go about upgrading and crossing platform to Windows at the same time.

I'd hope to not have to pay the full price from scratch.

I can't find any email address to enquire.

Any suggestions?

Mike

-steve-
External Moderator
Posts: 7701
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by -steve- » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:00 pm

All licenses for Mac and PC Steinberg software work on both platforms. They do not differentiate at all, and you can switch between OSes all you want by moving the USB key. If you have one of the old long keys you might want to buy another, since performance is better with newer keys, but it's not mandatory,

Download the software via the Steinberg Download Assistant.
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

-steve-
External Moderator
Posts: 7701
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by -steve- » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:03 pm

Wait a sec, VST 5 on mac did not use a dongle, they had that awful CD verification back then.

I don't see an update path for that 20 year old license. :cry:
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

MikeC
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 pm

-steve- wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:03 pm
Wait a sec, VST 5 on mac did not use a dongle, they had that awful CD verification back then.

I don't see an update path for that 20 year old license. :cry:
That's why I'm asking, Steve.... It was a 20 yr old version? I bought it new this century! :D

MikeC
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm

I guess I simply select the Update from Cubase 4 / 5 / 6 / 6.5 option in the shop, which only gives the option to buy as a download.
£257
That means no dongle....

In order to buy it with the dongle, I'd have to buy it from scratch, it seems.
£480

As a user of Cubase for 28 years, I'd be hoping someone at Steinberg would find a way to help. :(

Mike

MikeC
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:55 pm

Oh, I see that my version is much older than this option.

Looks like I'll just have to start saving and pay the full whack, or check out other options. I've only ever used Cubase, so very reluctant to consider 'alternatives'.
MikeC wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm
I guess I simply select the Update from Cubase 4 / 5 / 6 / 6.5 option in the shop, which only gives the option to buy as a download.
£257
That means no dongle....

In order to buy it with the dongle, I'd have to buy it from scratch, it seems.
£480

As a user of Cubase for 28 years, I'd be hoping someone at Steinberg would find a way to help. :(

Mike

User avatar
Prock
Senior Member
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by Prock » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 am

Try emailing them. Maybe they will show a little sympathy for you. ;)

Seriously though... If your Cubase is that old I'm guessing that your audio card/interface must be pretty dusty too. If so, purchase an interface that includes a free version of Cubase. Then upgrade that if you see the need.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5.30, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: VB3, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

MikeC
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:11 am

Prock wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 am
Try emailing them. Maybe they will show a little sympathy for you. ;)

Seriously though... If your Cubase is that old I'm guessing that your audio card/interface must be pretty dusty too. If so, purchase an interface that includes a free version of Cubase. Then upgrade that if you see the need.

Regards 8-)
I've got a new Laptop with Windows, as lack of funds put to bed any thought of replacing my dead Mac with a new Mac. Hence, the move to Windows... and the hope for leniency when buying Pro 9.5.

I definitely want the Pro version, and emailing them was my first thought... I'm not kidding. I had no idea that Steinberg was 'un-emailable'.

I bought my previous version of Cubase through Arbiter, which seems to have gone the same was as Cubase VST... into history. :roll:

User avatar
planarchist
Senior Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am
Location: UK.
Contact:

Re: Upgrade and cross-platform?

Post by planarchist » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 am

MikeC wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:11 am
Prock wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 am
Try emailing them. Maybe they will show a little sympathy for you. ;)

Seriously though... If your Cubase is that old I'm guessing that your audio card/interface must be pretty dusty too. If so, purchase an interface that includes a free version of Cubase. Then upgrade that if you see the need.

Regards 8-)
I've got a new Laptop with Windows, as lack of funds put to bed any thought of replacing my dead Mac with a new Mac. Hence, the move to Windows... and the hope for leniency when buying Pro 9.5.

I definitely want the Pro version, and emailing them was my first thought... I'm not kidding. I had no idea that Steinberg was 'un-emailable'.

I bought my previous version of Cubase through Arbiter, which seems to have gone the same was as Cubase VST... into history. :roll:
You will presumably need an interface though and even if you don't want to use the free LE/AI version of Cubase that comes with it (as Prock says), it effectively acts as a discount for an upgrade to the Pro version too. Definitely worth looking into I'd think.
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Post Reply

Return to “Presales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest