Preference option to "Disable Cubase Video Services" & Other "Services"

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
Prock
Grand Senior Member

Preference option to "Disable Cubase Video Services" & Other "Services"

Post by Prock » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:17 pm

The 3rd installment of a feature request:

Every time I start Cubase I see that these (3) video related processes start and run (there may be more?):
videooutput.exe
videopreload.exe
videodecode.exe

Wouldn't it be better if these processes were not running for the users who never use the video functions that are offered in Cubase (like me)?

That's why I am again requesting that a Preference option to "Disable Cubase Video Services" be added to the Cubase>Preferences menu for those of us who never use it. The video services could be toggled on/off as per the user preference.

I'm no computer expert but, I figure that disabling the video services will save some system resources that can be used for other Cubase features. Thus creating a better user experience for us "non-video music makers".

I have to admit that now, with CB 9 running in Win 10, I no longer see the daily "Video Services Failing" error reports I was getting with prior CB versions. That's good for me. ;)

But, I still do see some CB9 users posting that the video services on their computer seem to cause issues. And one of the ways they still use to correct these issues is to disable the video services be renaming or removing the various video .exe files from the Cubase components folder. IMO that is just a workaround and should not be considered a "proper way" to disable it.

Regardless... even if the video services caused no problems, it makes sense to me to allow a user to disable the feature which may release some system resources for other uses.

Link to the same request in CB8:
viewtopic.php?f=228&t=74193&p=500791&hi ... ck#p500791

This link to the same request in CB 7 has been deleted(?):
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=58154

Regards 8-)

3/17/2018: I edited the thread subject
Last edited by Prock on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

djw

Re: Preference option to "Disable Cubase Video Services"

Post by djw » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:31 am

So the fix is to rename C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Components\videoengine.dll to videoengine.dll.bak

This video engine will be replaced soon. It's easy to fix. Is this worth development time to you?

If it would be added though, it should be selectable here:

JayPe

Post by JayPe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Wouldn't it make better sense for Steinberg to fix the video problems - so that musicians aren't wasting time renaming .dll's just to get the program to start...

These issues with the videoengine dlls & exe's have been around for years, and the company seem perfectly ok with people being unable to use chunks of capability(for which they have paid).
I first hit the videoengine dll issue in version 7. Like a dummy; I accepted the workaround which stripped me of video capability, just to get things working.
Here we are years later, I need to do some video work, and I update to 7.7 only to find the same old junk, and people still talking about the problem with version 8.

These forums are filled with people who have paid full price to beta test software that should never have made it out the door. Really, deeply depressing to see users pleading with the company to give them a checkbox to implement such a horrible hack into commercial software.

Personally I've had enough of this kind of nonsense - I expect reasonable standards of quality when paying for software, and this is all too much of a pattern with Steinberg.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:22 pm

JayPe wrote:Wouldn't it make better sense for Steinberg to fix the video problems - so that musicians aren't wasting time renaming .dll's just to get the program to start...

These issues with the videoengine dlls & exe's have been around for years, and the company seem perfectly ok with people being unable to use chunks of capability(for which they have paid).
I first hit the videoengine dll issue in version 7. Like a dummy; I accepted the workaround which stripped me of video capability, just to get things working.
Here we are years later, I need to do some video work, and I update to 7.7 only to find the same old junk, and people still talking about the problem with version 8.

These forums are filled with people who have paid full price to beta test software that should never have made it out the door. Really, deeply depressing to see users pleading with the company to give them a checkbox to implement such a horrible hack into commercial software.

Personally I've had enough of this kind of nonsense - I expect reasonable standards of quality when paying for software, and this is all too much of a pattern with Steinberg.
Your post has little to do with my request for a user preference. You would be better served discussing your issue in the "issues" section of our forum. So... If you think my request is a good idea... +1 it. If not, don't.

BTW... I don't disagree with what you say. Steinberg should definitely fix all issues with the video portion of Cubase.

But, I would still like to see a user preference to turn the video services off/on. With that preference available a user can turn the video services off (saving system resources) when they don't need it and turn it back on when they want to use the video related features.

At least my request was bumped.... Thx ;)

Regards. 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

djw

Post by djw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:41 am

JayPe wrote:Wouldn't it make better sense for Steinberg to fix the video problems - so that musicians aren't wasting time renaming .dll's just to get the program to start...
It's completely redone in Nuendo 8, and we'll get the new engine soon too.

suntower

Post by suntower » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:42 am

+1

Been a problem for-ehver.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

krevvy

Post by krevvy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:34 pm

+1 I have no need for the video in cubase.
Option to disable should be standard.

djw

Post by djw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:57 am

It's not like these services are doing anything if you aren't using them. And they will be overhauled.

suntower

Post by suntower » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 am

If a fix is on that way, that's good to hear.

In my case, those services have -frequently- conflicted with other programs that I occasionally need to fire up. I usually end up shutting down Cubase in order to run anything else with 'video'... and since it takes my CPRs many minutes to load, that adds up. So you can forgive the o/p... trust me, it's a drag when it happens to you.
djw wrote:It's not like these services are doing anything if you aren't using them. And they will be overhauled.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

oneixl

Post by oneixl » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 am

any quick fix way to disable in osx?

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 pm

+1
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Punqtured

Post by Punqtured » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:02 pm

+1

audioguy

Post by audioguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:16 pm

+1

IMAWriterRobJ

Post by IMAWriterRobJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:09 am

+1
iMac 2018 I7 Quad Core 4.2 gig processor 32 gig Ram (OS 10.13.6) UA ApolloX 8
www.robertjason.com

GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:42 am

+1
Cubase Pro 9.5 | Win7 | i7-4930k | X79-Deluxe | RX460 | RME Fireface UCX

John J

Post by John J » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 pm

+1
Cubase Pro 9 | Dell Precision T3610 | Xeon E5-1620 v2 3.7 GHz | 12 GB | Win 10 Pro 64-bit
NVIDIA Quadro K600 | 256 GB SSD (Primary) | 500 GB HD (Secondary)
Cubase IC Pro | Yamaha MOXF6 | Kontakt 5 | Yamaha HS5

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:21 am

I'm bumping this thread because I see a bunch of recent posts asking for things to have preference options to disable them. Things like "VST connect" and the "Hub". I'm no expert but, from what I read some of these things are activated by a .dll (maybe?). And since some op systems apparently have limits associated with .dlls, this request makes even more sense.

So, in addition to "Video Services", I am adding the items listed below to have a preference option to disable them completely too (the kind of disabling that might even require you to restart Cubase when you change the preference):

- VST Connect
- Hub (I know there is an option to not use the "Hub" but, apparently choosing this does not stop the associated services from running)

Please add additional items as you think of them. Thanks ;)

Also, I am editing the post subject accordingly.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

beerbong

Re: Preference option to "Disable Cubase Video Services" & Other "Services"

Post by beerbong » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 am

+1 for disable , VST Connect, Hub, and Video Services.
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements / Halion 6 / Padshop Pro

Evertone

Post by Evertone » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:39 pm

+1
Same here.
Cubase Pro 10.5
Mojave 10.14.6
iMac i7 - 32gb ram
Apogee Symphony IO

TNM

Post by TNM » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 pm

+1
iMac Pro 8 core, 64GB ram, Vega 56, OS 10.14.6, Motu Microlite, Apollo 8, Motif MoxF6, more midi synths :)

Keeby

Post by Keeby » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi,

Btw, the SOLUTION is at the end if you can't be bothered reading exactly what lead me to it...

I'm not sure if this will apply to everyone, but I thought I'd share my solution when this happened to me... When searching, I found several threads on this with no solution that worked in my case... But I did figure it out so I'm sharing this across all the threads in the hope that it helps someone...

PROBLEM:One day I was mixing a song happily, the next day the 'Loading MixConsole' wouldn't load past the drum channel... I had to 'cntl, alt, delete' to open the task manager to shut down Cubase as it was stuck and going nowhere slowly. As I did that the following error message would flash up before closing... it flashed up so quickly it was impossible to read, so I had to press 'prt sc' and then copy the screenshot and paste it into Paint to view it. The error read...

'THE VIDEO SERVICE FOR DECODING STOP WORKING.
THIS MAY AFFECT MEDIA BAY SCANNING, VIDEO IMPORT AND PLAYING. PLS SAVE YOUR PROJECT AND RESATART THE APP' 

"What's the 'video service' got to do with the price of cheese?" I thought out loud.
Some threads suggested removing video elements from the Cubase install but that didn't work. "Those weren't ever an issue before," I said to myself as I poured a tea in the kitchen, mulling it over, scratching my noggin as if it were a magic lamp. "It must be something else. I've wasted countless hours on things like this," I muttered, frantically stirring my tea, my heart, broken, mourning the loss of lost mixing time, longing to return to the escapism and bliss of creating music, my own little world. "I can figure it out!" I said, clenching a biscuit and dunking into my cup triumphantly. I began chomping vigorously with a mischievous twinkle of hope and determination in my eyes. ...
Sorry for all this nonsense, I'm just trying to amuse myself...

Anyway...

This was only happening on one of my songs, the others would load as normal. Luckily, I knew the main difference between them. I used EZdrummer 2 on all of the songs except the one that wouldn't load; on that one, I was using Simon Philips Jazz Drums in Groove Agent. That was the only difference I could think of... Actually, to begin with, I couldn't remember exactly which drum kit it was... So I located the song file, right-clicked on it and opened it with Note Pad to view the code. I then used Edit/Find and searched for the word 'drums' and located, within the text of the code, 'Simon Philips Jazz Drums'. The reason I mention that is that perhaps if you weren't sure which VST was the issue, you could potentially scroll through the code to view them - may take a while but worth it if you can load your track again. *Note, it probably goes without mentioning but, it's important that you don't alter the text in the code.

Anyway... 

SOLUTION: I went to Add or Remove programs in Windows 10 and rather than reinstall Groove Agent SE, I selected the 'repair' install option. That didn't fix the issue. So, I did a repair on the install of Kit that was used, Simon Philips drums and... voila!

Alas, I could return to mixing away happily again, as if not a care in the world.

Hope that helps someone :)

P.S. Success IS creating music.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”