Modernise Cubase Licensing

I recently got Cubase Ai9.5 with my interface and I am impressed with it. However, it’s quite disappointing that it can only be installed on one computer. I have a high performance ultrabook (surface book 2) and a high performance computer, and two main locations to do recording; however, at the moment I am only limited to one of them.

Office 365 has a great system where they’re tied into your Microsoft Account for validation, where there are 5 computers that can be used for the home version, and it’s validated by your login for each. I was using OpenOffice before I got Office 365, but after re-evaluating things, I switched my family over to 365. The latter is tremendously competitive and flexible.

Why does Steinberg not add Microsoft account validation for Windows users? Cubase can become a Windows Store app and be limited only to a user’s account. There can be an ultra-basic version and then the upgrade to Cubase AI could require the key and serial that comes with audio interfaces. The user can then download cubase on as many devices as he likes, and only he can use it.

There are many different software companies exploring the Windows store option at the moment for big ticket items, and some have committed (e.g. Photoshop Elements 2018). There is also a subscription feature available for store purchases, which is used by Drawboard PDF for its architect-tailored items. Considering the host of pricing mechanisms available today, it seems to me self-limiting from a potential sales perspective for Steinberg to be restricted to single-computer and USB validation. Of course there is also the customer usability perspective.

In conclusion, I hope that Steinberg considers modernising its licensing to reflect modern possibilities.

This is something that’s already being investigated. I think you’ll hear more about it quite soon.

But in the meanwhile, note that it’s already possible to move licenses for Cubase LE, Cubase AI, Cubase Elements, and most Steinberg plugins to another computer by reactivating the licenses:

You can reactivate from anywhere for as long as you have an internet connection.

Ok thanks, I’ll look into this.

It will lock your licence to windows, and how are you supposed to be able to switch to a other platform like OSX or in the future LInux?

I am also opposed to the idea to tie my license to an Microsoft account. All my computers are running on a local account and I want to keep it that way. And, as cubace said, this is a very bad idea if you are switching between several platforms. This happens a lot in practice, and I use my USB eLicencer to validate my use on the other platform. This becomes impossible if the license get tied to a Microsoft account.

In short - It’s a very bad idea to tie any no-Microsoft license to a Microsoft account. I would strongly advise against that!

Any licensing system that would require you to give your personal information to a third party would also not be legal under EU data protection laws, so, no Apple, Microsoft, Google or Facebook logins.

I don’t mean to hijack the topic of this thread. I tried sending a private message, but after submitting it, it has been stuck in my outbox for two days (why?).

I noticed that the OP was asking about activating a Cubase license on a Surface Book 2. I hope that Romantique Tp’s suggestion helped you out and you are able to activate your license on the Surface Book.

I have Cubase 9.5 Pro (with which requires the license to reside on a USB e-Licenser making it easier to activate on more than one computer) and I am very interested in the Surface Book 2. Very few people have commented on using Cubase on the Surface Book 2 (although it should work well). Once you have it up and running, I would be very interested in how it performs on the Surface Book 2.

Surfaceproaudio.com has a lot of information on other Surface models, but Robin has never tested Cubase on a Surface Book 2.

What are the specs of your Surface Book 2? Do you have the 13.5-inch or 15=inch model? Which processor?

If you get Cubase activated on the Surface Book 2 and can run/post a few benchmarks (LatencyMon, DAWBench DSP 2017, DAWBench VI 2017) as well as commenting on the overall performance, you would be doing the community a great service.

Thank you.

I don’t believe any introduction of a modernised licensing arrangement would necessarily result in the old arrangements becoming invalidated, so with all due respect to those who have commented, as long as my assumption is not proven untrue, these arguments seem like a case of sour grapes.

Furthermore, it would be great if they could introduce the option to convert those on the current licensing system to a appstore based approach.