DONE! User defined beat: Grid,Compound time,odd meter,Click

bump

FL Studio has implemented it in its 12.9 beta (see forum thread on kvr).

Yes, and if you choose 6/8 in Studio One it knows the beat is therefore a dotted crotchet. This is music theory 101 and we’re at Cubase version 9 and it still can’t do it. I mean seriously: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 versions later…

Done! And it’s fabulous.

Yay! Finally, more cowbell, I mean metronome! :smiley:

Done? :question: Yes new metronome is great, but grid (see Subject title)? I can’t find anything new:

9/8 still 2+2+2+2+1!! :imp:

Maybe I’m missing something (I hope so)?

See subject title? I wrote it. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Did a little deeper- right click on the ruler…
2017-11-15 15_29_53-Cubase Pro Project - Untitled1.png
2017-11-15 15_30_18-.png

Thanks Steve, and sorry you’re right, just found that on the online help but you arrived first! THAT’S great!!!

Did I say great? no: GREAT!!!

This is great news for Cubase 9.5!

I guess we didn’t have to wait for H… to freeze over for this one (seemed like it though :laughing: ). This is a great improvement.

Regards :sunglasses:

Metronome programmability is great. But Cubase still doesn’t understand the beat value is 1/4D in compound time sigs.

It does. Did you turn on Use Metronome Click Pattern for grid line? Click Patterns

What were you expecting that’s not happening?

(edit: Whether one considers the 4th beat in 12/8 as the 9th 8th note, or 4th dotted 1/4 is a matter of perspective. And Cubase does still see it as beat 9. But that is what what it is, no?)

No it doesn’t. It’s not about the grid. It’s about the metronome tempo relating to 1/4D representing the beat in a compound time signature. Cubase still uses 1/4 as beat value for tempo calculation, regardless of how the grid is set.

That’s true. The tempo is shown as relating to the quarter note in the transport. As a workaround you can use the Score Editor to calc the tempo based on other values.
sig.gif

1 Like

Thanks Steve, I do multiply by 2/3. But Cubase should just deal with it really. Studio One, for example, deals with it correctly. It might seem minor but in my view music theory should be core to any DAW. It’s taken this long to get a workable metronome, nine versions (more with the .5’s)! But hey, I’m happy we finally got that!

How does Studio One do it, exactly, can you explain, or do you happen to know of an article or video that demonstrates? I had a look at the time sig and metronome sections in their docs and don’t see any mention of automatically showing compound time sigs’ tempo differently. And if it’s automatic, how do they supply the option to “turn it off” for when 6/8, 9/8, and 12/8 are not meant as compound sigs.

That said, a nice feature in Cubendo would be that the little quarter note icon in the transport be transformed into a pop-up menu wherein one could choose any note value upon which to compute the tempo.

Hi Steve, Studio One simply calculates the tempo off the dotted crotchet when using a compound time signature. Not sure about ‘turning it off’. It would be very uncommon for 6/8 or 12/8 to be hybrid, more so the 9/8. Like you say, the best solution is to have the option. Options are always good. But music theory default says it’s compound and beat = 1/4D.

That would be amazing.