DONE! User defined beat: Grid,Compound time,odd meter,Click

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
CubeDAW

Re: Metronome click patterns/Programmable click track

Post by CubeDAW » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:31 am

I use the loop browser sometimes instead of a metronome but the problem with the loop browser is that there isn't a loop for every tempo and time signature.

peakae

Post by peakae » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm

+1
Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

r.u.sirius

Post by r.u.sirius » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm

I was working on a Zappa transcription the other day, starting in 3/4, one measure 5/8, then 4/4.

my metronome setting was on quarter notes. In the 5/8 measure the click keeps on quarter notes. Then in the following 4/4 measure it´s on off-beats....very odd!

The clicktrack should sound quarter notes in a x/4 measure and 8th notes in a x/8 measure. Quite clear, I think... :roll:
C8.0.20 64bit | WL8.8 | FF800 | 2x UAD2 Quad, 1x UAD2 Octo| Win7 64 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i7-2600K | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm

r.u.sirius wrote:my metronome setting was on quarter notes. In the 5/8 measure the click keeps on quarter notes. Then in the following 4/4 measure it´s on off-beats....very odd!

The clicktrack should sound quarter notes in a x/4 measure and 8th notes in a x/8 measure. Quite clear, I think... :roll:
It does. Cubase beats the denominator's value unless you tell it not to. I'm going to assume you have checked "Use Count Base" > "1/4".
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

dioman_leikari

Post by dioman_leikari » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Yes, I definitely need it! Absolutely.

In Logic Pro is possible just leaving ON the click/metronome before the Mixdown (in Logic Pro is called "Bounce"). So I guess it is possible add this feature in Cubase as well.
DAW (SSL Certified), M/B X79, Intel E5-2620, 64 Gb ram DDR3, 8 Tb HDs ,1 HD SSD 500Gb, 2 Nvidia cards (GTX 670), 900watt pfc active, Tuned Windows 7 Pro 64bit, x3 19" lcd displays, 1 master lcd tv 55", Cubase Pro, Digital Perfomer 9, ProTools HD, Sequoia, Live, Logic Pro, Sibelius and Madness.

cbdmusic

Re: User defined beat values: Grid,Compound time,odd meter,C

Post by cbdmusic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 am

+1
Cubase 9.5; Mac Pro 12-Core, 128gb ram; UA Apollo; UAD-2 Octo Ultimate; RME Raydat; Novation remote Zero; Vienna Ensemble Pro; Terrabytes of Samples.

Wallengard

Post by Wallengard » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:03 pm

+1
Manipulator of frequencies of vibrating energy

peakae

Post by peakae » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:15 pm

+1
Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 pm

+1 from me to all of the above, of course :)
But just the other day, I was even thinking of the following, when there might be a particularly complex couple of measures (not necessarily involving an actual time signature change, however)...
SteveInChicago wrote: Can we please have customizable grids in the project window and editors?
How about something like the Score Editor's "Display Quantize" Tool, where, for example, the Key Editor grid for the most part of a project, in 4/4, can be set to 8th-notes, but, for say, half a bar, we could make use of the grid being in 16th-triplets.. just dial in the required grid at the desired position :).
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

cbdmusic

Post by cbdmusic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:26 am

BUMP!!
Cubase 9.5; Mac Pro 12-Core, 128gb ram; UA Apollo; UAD-2 Octo Ultimate; RME Raydat; Novation remote Zero; Vienna Ensemble Pro; Terrabytes of Samples.

suntower

Post by suntower » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:59 am

At the risk of hijacking. Feel free to delete with your green superpowers if not useful.

I've been wondering how this should work if you have a bar of 2/4 followed by a bar of 5/8 followed by a bar of 3/4. AND it's pretty common to have a notation where 'quarter = dotted quarter' when switching from 2 to 3. So simple in notated music.

I've come to think that this beat thing should be an individual OBJECT stored inside the tempo/time sig track at each event. IOW: you should be able to set a division at each time sig change -and- tempo change. WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON THESE SHOULD BE FOLDED INTO A SINGLE TRACK TYPE. Time sigs and tempi are indivisible (no pun intended)

And while I'm ranting, this is the kind of thing that makes me even -more- skeptical about separate notation programs. An integrated program -could- be made to handle this sort of thing automatically and with elegance.
Last edited by suntower on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 9, iCPro, WL7, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

raino

Post by raino » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:48 pm

+1
rodger

Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Win7 Home Premium 64bit (downgraded after disastrous Win10 upgrade), Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 pm

+1 I'm going to jump in here because I've been doing what Steve and mozizo are doing -- basically inventing time signatures that will result in the downbeat of the metronome click arriving where it should. I think the whole issue could easily be resolved by referring it to the tempo track developers -- the audio click has been static, possibly since the Atari days, and needs to be reviewed!
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 9.5.41 | WaveLab 9.5.35 | HALion 6.1.15 | Groove Agent 4.2.40 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | x64 only

jpm999

Post by jpm999 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 am

+100000000

Pierceful

Post by Pierceful » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Seriously, +11111111111111111111111.

Let's do this already! I had to learn to use the "Use Count Base" thing only to see a few seconds later that it wouldn't work with complex time signatures. (I go from 6/8 to 7/8 to 12/8. After the 7/8 it just keeps counting the upbeats forever, and off-beat with the 12/8 time signature that's written.)
suntower wrote:I've been wondering how this should work if you have a bar of 2/4 followed by a bar of 5/8 followed by a bar of 3/4. AND it's pretty common to have a notation where 'quarter = dotted quarter' when switching from 2 to 3. So simple in notated music.
Yes, exactly this.

Working with musicians, "transcribing" from sheet music, scoring to picture, all made considerably more difficult by having to MacGyver some math. Please make this as comprehensive and user-friendly as possible.

Thanks so much for this thread, Steve.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:26 pm

vic_france wrote:How about something like the Score Editor's "Display Quantize" Tool, where, for example, the Key Editor grid for the most part of a project, in 4/4, can be set to 8th-notes, but, for say, half a bar, we could make use of the grid being in 16th-triplets.. just dial in the required grid at the desired position
Great idea. +1
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

mbira

Someday please handle compound meter correctly

Post by mbira » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:35 am

After all these years, it still is frustrating that Cubase doesn't handle 12/8 correctly. Per wikipedia:
In compound meter, subdivisions of the main beat (the upper number) split into three, not two, equal parts, so that a dotted note (half again longer than a regular note) becomes the beat unit. Compound time signatures are named as if they were simple time signatures, in which the one-third part of the beat unit is the beat, so the top number is commonly 6, 9 or 12 (multiples of 3). The lower number is most commonly an 8 (an eighth-note): as in 9/8 or 12/8.
Please, Cubase, finally give those of us that use compound meter a grid that actually respects normal musical convention and for the love of God, FIX THE BPM so that BPM is determined by a DOTTED quarter note in 12/8 and not a quarter note!
Cubase Pro - usually the latest version | Cubase Elements (because of the damn dongle) | Wavelab Pro | Dorico 2 Pro | Halion 6 | Laptop: Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 G RAM, OS 10.10| Studio computer: 2012 12 core Mac Pro Tower 64 G RAM | PC Slave i7 8920 running VEP6 | Apollo 16 Firewire

vyvyanhs

Re: Someday please handle compound meter correctly

Post by vyvyanhs » Wed May 13, 2015 3:37 pm

+1

And while you're at it, can you make it so the metronome can be configured for these meters, (ie 6/8 is beep-2-3-beep-2-3 not BEEP-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep) I occasionally want to use, say 5/8 with a pulse on beats 1 and 4, currently impossible, AFAIK.
Vyv
Cubase 9 + Windows 10 + ASUS Z97-A + i7 4790 + 16Gb + Audient id22 + Focal SM9

CubeDAW

Post by CubeDAW » Thu May 14, 2015 5:56 pm

suntower wrote:At the risk of hijacking. Feel free to delete with your green superpowers if not useful.

THESE SHOULD BE FOLDED INTO A SINGLE TRACK TYPE. Time sigs and tempi are indivisible (no pun intended)

I disagree. I think each Part should have its unique tempo and meter stored within that Part. When you move a part, the tempo and meter should stay with it. The tempo and meter should not be required to be global if you don't want it global. I hate the way it works now.

skillet

Re: Compound time, odd meter click and grid improvements

Post by skillet » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:35 am

Sorry to be late to the party on this.
SteveInChicago wrote: The heavy lines in the grid should fall on the beat, But Cubase doesn't do that, and the metronome just marks the numerator's number of beats per measure (top number in the sig)

While it is possible to go into metronome settings and adjust it to 3/8 count base to get the metronome simply on 1 and 4,activating the count base option means the click will not change along with the time signatures.
For me this just changes it so the metronome always clicks on the value of the denominator regardless of the numerator value. So when I switch from 6/8 to 4/4 to 3/8, if the setting is set to ⅛ or ⅜ it always clicks on the 8th note regardless of time signature in the project. I maybe missing a setting somewhere or something.
SteveInChicago wrote:
r.u.sirius wrote:my metronome setting was on quarter notes. In the 5/8 measure the click keeps on quarter notes. Then in the following 4/4 measure it´s on off-beats....very odd!

It does. Cubase beats the denominator's value unless you tell it not to. I'm going to assume you have checked "Use Count Base" > "1/4".
Downbeat always happens regardless of the this setting for me.

Also the thing that is very confusing is for compound meter I have to always multiply by 1.5 to get the right tempo value since dotted quarter note = BPM generally in ⅜, 6/8, 9/8 etc. Cubase always sets the tempo based on what the quarter note is regardless of denominator (2, 4, 8,16, 32 & 64).

Coming from using Pro Tools in the past mostly this has been pretty simple to change per meter change and didn't require the meter and tempo ruler to be one track (though of course not considered tracks in Pro Tools). If you want the click to be on 8th notes for one 6/8 passage and then on dotted quarter notes it will do this.

The math for the tempo also is also very simple to work out because when you make a tempo change you tell Pro Tools what gets the beat for the tempo change this makes metric modulation very simple (at least for me) if you want to have 8th note = 210 BPM for 6/8 and 8th note = 210 BPM for 4/4 you set the tempo to 70 BPM = dotted quarter note for 6/8 and in 4/4 you set the tempo to quarter note = 105 BPM.

In Cubase as it stands the tempo would stay at 105 BPM for both time signatures and the click would switch between 8th notes and quarter notes instead of allowing you to have dotted quarter notes and quarter notes be the click value.

This kind of sounds like what SunTower was after but still on two track types that integrate with each other.

This has been in Pro Tools since 6.7 or since Fall of 2004. Granted they were way late to the game to be able to pencil (instead of having to do one point at a time like earlier versions) in tempo changes but when they did join the rest of the DAW's they implemented it rather well (same thing when they finally got clip (region at the time) groups in PT7, and kind of like Apple seems to do with many things, late but great execution when implemented, but I rant)
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support ... LE_6.7.pdf
vic_france wrote:How about something like the Score Editor's "Display Quantize" Tool, where, for example, the Key Editor grid for the most part of a project, in 4/4, can be set to 8th-notes, but, for say, half a bar, we could make use of the grid being in 16th-triplets.. just dial in the required grid at the desired position
I will say as of Pro Tools 12 you still have a universal grid value when moving things around so this suggestion is a great one and a way to implement things even better. I would think there would need to be some sort of global values you could select the grid to be based on each time signature that appears in the project. It could be in the inspector to the right of the signature column for the Signature track with a column for Grid value.

http://forum.emusictheory.com/read.php?5,5913,5916
CubeDAW wrote:
suntower wrote:At the risk of hijacking. Feel free to delete with your green superpowers if not useful.

THESE SHOULD BE FOLDED INTO A SINGLE TRACK TYPE. Time sigs and tempi are indivisible (no pun intended)

I disagree. I think each Part should have its unique tempo and meter stored within that Part. When you move a part, the tempo and meter should stay with it. The tempo and meter should not be required to be global if you don't want it global. I hate the way it works now.
I am not sure I understand quite what the benefit is you are trying to derive from this because you can do this now just by shifting the accent of notes. Something has to be the content, you can of course accent wherever you want within this constant and drag the parts around and they retain their accents.

When you drag the part around to another section that has a different time signature what are you wanting the part to do at that point? If you are looking to have multiple time signature tracks that you can select multiple metronomes and/or tracks follow that could get crazy and confusing fast but of course would be pretty flexible.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is possible to have multiple time signatures in a General MIDI file at the same location even if it were on multiple channels?
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gmguide2.pdf

Logic has the same trouble as Cubase with the tempo track always following the quarter note regardless of meter, and though you can do beat grouping the metronome doesn't follow the accents.

+1 for implementing Pro Tools style tempo and time signature changes, then you could remove "Use Count Base" in "Metronome Setup" from the "Precount Options" which is a bit confusing since it doesn't just affect precount options. Plus this method would provide much more flexibility then that option provides in the first place.

Update (Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:00 PM): Logic 10.2.1 now changed some things for the better, here's to hoping Cubase can do the same http://play.macprovideo.com/logicprox-1021-whats-new/2
Attachments
DAW Tempo and Meter Changes.zip
DAW Tempo and Meter Changes
(427.75 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by skillet on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSX Version 10.11.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 9.0.20 | Nuendo 7.1.30 + Expansion Kit | Pro Tools 12.8 | Logic 10.3 | Digital Performer 8.0.7 | Ableton Live 9.7

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: M-Audio Venom Keyboard, Roland A-33; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Bump
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 9.5.41 | WaveLab 9.5.35 | HALion 6.1.15 | Groove Agent 4.2.40 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | x64 only

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:26 am

+1
Cubase Pro 9.5, Windows 10 1803 x64
Synthogy Ivory 2, UAD2 Duo PCIe 9.1,
Superior Drummer 2.4.4, PLAY 5,
Kontakt 5.6.6, Ozone 7 Advanced
Sibelius 7.5.1, Dorico Pro 2
i7 3770K Gigabyte Z77-UD5H 32GB
http://www.yourmusic.pro

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 am

+1 to flexible groupings for compound meters and extended prime number meters.

I'd like to see it as it is in printed music, where long measures are often divided with a set of vertical dots to show the sub-groupings. Cubase could have dots like those or some system of sub-bar lines. Excellent idea.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5.30; PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converter, Scarlett 2I4; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST Instruments: Steinberg: HSSE, Retrologue 2, Groove Agent SE, Padshop, Mystic, Prologue, Spector; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Generic Remote setups: viewtopic.php?f=226&t=102993
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Mydriasis123

Post by Mydriasis123 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:16 pm

+1 on this!

Minimalist

Post by Minimalist » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:40 am

Along this line, multiple time signatures (polyrhythms).

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”