Issue forum streamlined

They did not implement a new method to list bug reports, confirmed bugs etc in the forum. It’s the opposite, that they would no longer do so. Debating the point is an absurd way to pass your time.

If you want to report a bug in the forum, just do it. If you really want your report to count, use your my steinberg account to file a support request with a real repro. There have always been many, many items in the dev’s bug list that did not appear on the forum.

One thing that’s been unclear about the forum is that it’s a user to user forum. But, since Steinberg staff participate, voluntarily, I might add, the expectation that the forum is an official technical support venue has grown.

imo, it’s just as well they got rid of the former structure, since it added to the false expectations, and was never up-to-date. Now support staff has more time to devote to support, and clearly, they are in great need of that.

I’m pretty close to speechless, though I know I shouldn’t be.

What an aggressive-sounding post from moderator to customer!

“Streamlined” (the word used by Steinberg in the title to this post) wouldn’t usually make one think of “not listing reports or confirming bugs”, please excuse my confusion.

Trying to stay on topic - you’re saying that bug reports should be filed as “support requests” via mysteinberg, “if we really want the report to count”.

I’m wondering if I missed that instruction somewhere else, or whether this is the first time Steinberg is telling us to use mysteinberg support requests to report bugs. I’m wondering when did customer filing reports in the bug list become something that “doesn’t count” …

Thank you -

I don’t know if you missed any information, but requests made through the support system that reveal a bug are formally documented and tracked. That’s why they work.

An issue posted here is good, but better yet would be a support ticket with a link to that issue report.

I presume he means the ticket that’s created when you make a support request through the my steinberg website.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to identify and review the Steinberg-confirmed bugs.

Suggestions for how to do that with the streamlined forum?

You could follow the forum posts, and when you see a bug report, do the repro on your system, then report back. That would take care of part of what you’re asking, identifying, and also help the dev team to see that the issue is happening on multiple systems.

The next part doesn’t involve the forum, I’m afraid: You would apply for a job with Steinberg Media Technologies GMBH in Hamburg Germany, as a Quality Assurance engineer. Once you are hired, you will have access to the database they use to track development, and all the intimate knowledge available therein about bugs, reports, future features, and development progress. :wink:

What a great and helpful answer, thank you!

Please forgive me, I didn’t post quite what I wanted to. I’m asking about the old bugs that were identified by Steinberg in the past. The ones that had things like [BON-] , etc. in front of them.

@Steve
Where to find that Support tickets? In my profile it says
“Individual support for you is provided by one of our Steinberg distributors. Please find a list of distributors on this page”
What the hell, am I have to contact my local store?!!??
Please explain and provide proper instructions for bug reports.

If you’re not in a country where Steinberg or Yamaha provide direct support, you would have to post here or send email to info(at)steinberg.de.

I’m not a Steinberg employee, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Steinberg employees’ names are in blue or red on the forum. I’m green. :slight_smile:

sorry
So I’m redirecting my question to @Matthias Quellmann:
Where to find that Support tickets? In my profile it says
“Individual support for you is provided by one of our Steinberg distributors. Please find a list of distributors on this page”
What the hell, am I have to contact my local store?!!??
Please explain and provide proper instructions for bug reports.

I’m Steinberg loyal customer for more than 14 years who pay for each upgrade I believe I deserve to have right to send support tickets.
You sell your product in my country so you have to accept my requests and bug reports.

Wow this is terrible news…
I keep trying to find things to keep me from moving to studio one…
Currently Steinbergs ignorance on console 1 support and now this rubbish! Seems like 9.x was my final upgrade.

This is a bad move if… bugs are not solved but, a really good move on steinberg if it gives them more time to focus and fix the old/current bugs. I better see that long list of fixed bugs when the next update comes along :smiley:

This is, as I have already stated, unacceptable…I have bought all my previous upgrades directly from Steinberg. So you should give (legally) support to your customer, don’t you?

Please Matthias, I have raised this issue before, can you give us a proper answer?

If you are in country where the support is handled by the local distributor, you can always send an email to info@steinberg.de to report bugs or issues. These emails are processed by our support team in Hamburg.

Thanks Matthias, I didn´t knew that, and another employee told me otherwise once,

As I have stated in the survey today, I believe that Steinberg is not handling the comunication with its customers very well.

So all in all my bug reports posted here, made with step by step reproductions and animated demos aren’t as important as support tickets… Because? And why wasn’t this told to me earlier before I made the effort?

In any case, I will then report them again but through tickets, like I apparently should’ve done in the first place.

I understand the motivation to do just that, given what was posted by a Steinberg mod/employee, and the recent “streamlined” state of the Bug List.

That flags a (presumably?) unforeseen consequence of such a “streamlining” - less user-to-user interaction (no more great explanatory vids by djw and the others), including less user-to-user teaching. That is undesirable, I think all would agree, especially in a forum where Steinberg likes to emphasize that it is a (paraphrasing) “user-directed forum … technical assistance here by Steinberg employees/mods is given at their kind pleasure, and is by no means mandated or to be expected”.

That is the impression I have gotten over the past months and years. If I paraphrased that above so as to misrepresent Steinberg’s position on their categorization of the forum, I do sincerely apologize.

I do ask that Steinberg review their involvement in the forum, and consider assigning employees to help out. There are many other music vendor sites that do that, and it really is a very nice thing. Who knows, maybe with some more interaction, there may even be some more great ideas presented by users that Steinberg can incorporate into their next great update!

Respectfully,

I presume the goal in making the change was to reduce the amount of time SB staff spend on it, to give them more time to cover tech support calls and tickets, which apparently is needed.

There’s no reason why this change should reduce user-to-user interaction, unless you choose to stop posting. From what I can see people are still asking questions, and still getting answers from users.

Like I said, my opinion about the change is that it’s welcome. The previous iteration of the Issues subforum actually created expectations that were not accurate– it was really impossible to take care of the promised tasks consistently.

So with that, I’ll close this thread.