Circle of fifths/Proximity bug

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
noremorze

Circle of fifths/Proximity bug

Post by noremorze » Sat May 06, 2017 10:00 am

Hello,

since 0.20 C major gets displayed as B# in the circle of fifths & promixity tab. Going back to 0.10 fixes this and just checked again after reinstalling 0.20 again, it goes back to B#

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: Circle of fifths/Proximity bug

Post by -steve- » Sat May 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Confirmed here. I can't really make sense of the logic used for enharmonic spellings here, in this case.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

djw

Post by djw » Sat May 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Enharmonics seem hard to get right, I think every patch had a bug so far.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 pm

This is new with the last update. In version 8.X, a C Major 7 on the chord track, when dragged to an instrument or midi track displayed Cmaj7. Now it says B#maj7. There are other issues similar issues as well. See attached screen shot which shows a few of the errors I've found so far. The PDF detailing the update history says the enharmonics were improved, but I think something's gone wrong.
Chord Track Enharmonic Errors.png
(122.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I wonder if a reset of Preferences will correct this? I don't want to do that without knowing that doing so will correct this.

I toggled and restarted the program with and without the Preferences for enharmonics engaged and the problem appears regardless of the Preference settings I use. (At least as far as I'm able to determine at this point.)

Cubase provides a truly amazing set of composing and arranging tools, but, oddly, as I see it, Cubase doesn't support one of the most most basic, the most elementary (elemental) concepts in music theory-*. Until Cubase provides Flat Keys and Sharp Keys in both Major Keys and their Relative Minor keys for the these -- Root Key, Key Editor, Chord Track, Chord Pads, List Editor, and Drum Editor, I don't think I can consider it a fully professional program. As good as it all is, because of this deficiency, I have to give Cubase a B- rating in how Cubase treats Keys and Note Names in those places named. Score Editor's better handling of notes and keys only adds to the confusion. That makes my overall rating of the program B-. If this is corrected, then A if not A+.

With Standard Sharp/Flat Keys and Notes as mentioned, Cubase would be -- an undisputed Premier product for composers and arrangers; and an outstanding teaching tool for all levels of music. It's not right. Please, Fix It! :)

Thank you.

*-Paul Hindemith: Elementary Training For Musicians, see sections on Keys and note naming conventions -- https://www.musicroom.com/product-detai ... ant332221/

P.S. Where can I get a Cubase T-shirt? :)
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Mon May 08, 2017 1:36 am

Stephen57 wrote:This is new with the last update. In version 8.X, a C Major 7 on the chord track, when dragged to an instrument or midi track displayed Cmaj7. Now it says B#maj7. There are other issues similar issues as well. See attached screen shot which shows a few of the errors I've found so far. The PDF detailing the update history says the enharmonics were improved, but I think something's gone wrong.
I wonder if a reset of Preferences will correct this? I don't want to do that without knowing that doing so will correct this.
I think if you put both Chord & Key Events on the Chord Track it does a better* job of getting the enharmonics right.

* not to be confused with fully correct
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.30, Win7 Home Premium 64bit (downgraded after disastrous Win10 upgrade), Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:07 pm

raino wrote:
Stephen57 wrote:This is new with the last update. In version 8.X, a C Major 7 on the chord track, when dragged to an instrument or midi track displayed Cmaj7. Now it says B#maj7. There are other issues similar issues as well. See attached screen shot which shows a few of the errors I've found so far. The PDF detailing the update history says the enharmonics were improved, but I think something's gone wrong.
I think if you put both Chord & Key Events on the Chord Track it does a better* job of getting the enharmonics right.

* not to be confused with fully correct

I've tried various settings in Preferences to no avail. Maybe working with Root Key would help? I typically don't use that, but I didn't test this issue with a Root Key set. I wasn't this way in 9.01. Something got broken and I don't think a Reset of Preferences is going to correct it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cubase provides a really excellent set of features, but there's this issue with the enharmonics. I just don't see why it can't be corrected? If so much can be done with the impressive scale set, voicing styles, chord pads, chord track, and so on, why can't the program provide standard Flat and Sharp Keys? It would make things so much better for musicians of all types from beginners to the most advanced or mature. :cry: :cry: :cry:
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-

Stephen57

Re: Circle of fifths/Proximity bug, enharmonic errors

Post by Stephen57 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:25 pm

This is a real stone in my shoe. :cry:

The enharmonic errors are present in the Chord Assistant as well. So, it shows a common Cadence as, for example, Dminor, G7, B#; G Minor, C7, E# Major, and so on.

Please correct this. Even if you can not provide standard Flat Keys and Flat Notes, Sharp Keys and Sharp Notes, at least make Cubase's enharmonics interpretation as good as it was in Ver 8. The Enharmonics were imperfect but certainly better in Version 8.

Thank you.

Help with Cubase:

WGMac

Post by WGMac » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 am

I just updated from Cubase 7 to Cubase Pro 9.0.20 and have the same problem with Cycle of Fifths/Proximity/ and Chord
Assistant lists all using B# and E# instead of C and F. The chord pads seem to be okay.

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Version 8.5.3 = no problem with B# / C or E# / F

Version 9.02 = problem
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

Return to “Issues”