Cubase 9.5.30 crashes on "Show Plug-ins That Support 64-bit Processing"

Crashes continue in 9.5.1 due to this issue. Updated original post title to reflect version.

Example crashdump attached:
Cubase 9.5.10.79 64bit 2018.2.9 16.28.zip (194 KB)
Any ideas? Steinberg, can you fix?

I will resolve on Monday.

Hi,

The crash is in RX6 De clip.

Thank you, Martin. iZotope is saying that it’s something Steinberg needs to fix. Thoughts?

OK, I’m sorry for this.

At the end of the stack is iZotope. But I don’t know, on which side it is, of course.

I appreciate it, Martin. Is this something you might be willing to report to Steinberg, given your relationship?

Of course I can, but at the other hand I expect it will be closed as plug-in issue.

Crashes continue in 9.5.30 due to this issue. Updated original post title to reflect version.

Example crashdumps attached:
Cubase 9.5.30.192 64bit 2018.5.25 9.00.zip (212 KB)
Cubase 9.5.30.192 64bit 2018.5.25 9.10.zip (190 KB)
This time, it appeared to crash amidst scanning of Waves plugins, although I’m not sure. The crashdump would tell us the real results.

Martin, I understand your point about the report being closed as a “plug-in issue.” But surely Steinberg would agree that the Cubase application should be able to gracefully handle the scan? The scanner should be architected such that a “bad” plugin is simply “caught” and ignored, rather than crashing the entire application. Wouldn’t you agree?

It’s due to that the iZotope installer are installing every version… in multiple places.

From the top of my head I can’t remember exactly where (will chime in later), but I think in one of the Common > Steinberg > Vst2 folders… When these are removed, the scanning goes through.

I hate that the iZotope installers automatically installs every version (both 32 and 64 bit).

Hi Carvin Man -

Thanks for your thoughts on this. In my case, the system’s VST2 and VST3 placements are clean, and there are no extra installations of iZotope plugins. There is only one installation path where iZotope VST2 files are located, and only one path (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\iZotope) where iZotope VST3 files are located.

The issue also appears to be occurring with Waves plugins (waiting for Martin or others to confirm via crashdump). Regardless of the number of plugins or issues with those plugins, Cubase should nonetheless not crash during this scan.

Hi,

Both crashes are in Waves JJP_Bass.

Just for the sake of it, have you checked these locations as well?
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

I found some iZotope plugins installed in places like these (there may be more places, as iZotope installs “every” format and different plugins in different places)… and after deleting those I have had no problem with the scanning process.

CB 9.5.30 crashes scanning at NEW AUDIO TECHNOLOGY - 3D-SAD In-One. Can be reproduced on my DAW. Plugin Manager says VST 3.6.5 (2018-04-30).
Probably some more plugins…

Hi,

I would recommend to remove the plug-in and get in touch with the vendor if the plug-in.

Hi Carvin Man! I appreciate your diligence and your careful followup. I agree wholeheartedly that having multiple instances of particular plugins on a system can cause troubles, and like you I try to keep audio workstations clean.

In fact, on such systems, I don’t have C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2 directories, because I have specific user-created directories where the VST2 files are placed. I do have a C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins directory, but it contains only Steinberg plugins (Groove Agent, HALion, Padshop, Retrologue, Symphonic Orchestra, etc.) which enforce installation there.

Yes, I definitely have only one of each iZotope plugin installed.

Martin,

1. Can you take a look at the latest crashdumps I submitted and let me know which plugins are represented this time?

2. I’ve already reported the issue from previous crashdumps to iZotope. They were very eager to help, and engineering got involved to review the issue, but in the analysis they’ve decided that it’s a Steinberg issue.

3. I agree with your assessment that the short-term solution is to remove offending plugins. But I need the plugins I have. In the long-term, Cubase needs to be stable and not crash. Even if a plugin is completely terribly coded, Steinberg needs to be stable and not crash because of a plugin. This could be achieved using a sandbox approach or some other catch-handling mechanism. Surely if this crashing behavior is as easily reproducible as it is, Steinberg must realize this. So could you please report it to Steinberg again? Not as a “plugin issue” with a specific plugin, but rather as a common behavior where the app itself should not crash during a scan.

JJP_Bass plug-in.

Martin, thank you.

Clearly, if Waves (JJP) products are also crashing Cubase, the issue will be somewhat widespread.

I only want to make sure that you know these folders are created by default when installing Cubase…

I also have my own created folder for Vst2 plugin, to which I ALWAYS direct my Vst2 Plugins… Never the less iZotope would install/duplicate some (not all) of their plugins to such default locations, even when directed to my dedicated Vst2 Folder.

Sorry for nagging on, but this drove me crazy… before I found the duplicated installed plugins. I couldn’t for the hell of it understand the duplicate installs, because I have NEVER directed the installer to other than my dedicated Vst2 Plugin folder.

Anyway, good luck in hunting this down.

No, it’s not nagging! I appreciate your kindness and thought. Often this really is an issue with users. In my case, I’m like you in that I’m careful to avoid duplicate installs.

I just ran another manual scan for duplicates, just to be sure, and indeed there is only (a) one set of 32-bit VST2 iZotope plugins, in a user-configured directory; (b) one set of 64-bit VST2 plugins, in a user-configured directory; (c) one set of 32-bit VST3 plugins, at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope; and (d) one set of 64-bit VST3 plugins, at C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\iZotope.

As Martin noted above, the latest crashdumps indicate an issue with a Waves plugin, and Waves has its own installation method.

I would recommend to remove the plug-in and get in touch with the vendor if the plug-in.

Tried this with another bug (VST3 mutes audio in some situations…different issue).
VST vendor says: Steinberg’s problem, Steinberg says: VST vendor’s problem.

But: the DAW should not crash anyway!

My workaround: not to use 64-bit processing.