Audition tool in audio editor

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
tovaldi

Audition tool in audio editor

Post by tovaldi »

I recently started using Cubase 9.5 as my main DAW and found an issue and I was wondering if any of you have also experienced it.
When using the audition tool (play tool with the speaker icon) in the audio editor most of the time when it is activated and the scroll bar starts coloring over the waveform, the audio is not in sync with the waveform as the scrolling advances over the waveform.
Rarely is scrolling in sync with the waveform, in fact normally the audio goes ahead of the waveform. Hope that with this explanation it is clear.
Please let me know if you also have this issue.
Thanks.

kirkiliadis

Re: Audition tool in audio editor

Post by kirkiliadis »

Yes, you are right. I have the same problem in 9,5 but also in older versions.
I don't remember when it started, maybe at 7 version , but I am not so sure.
So anyway, this problem exist for me, too.
Just I checked, from version 7.5 exist this problem.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

kirkiliadis wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Yes, you are right. I have the same problem in 9,5 but also in older versions.
I don't remember when it started, maybe at 7 version , but I am not so sure.
So anyway, this problem exist for me, too.
Just I checked, from version 7.5 exist this problem.

Thanks for confirming. For me this is a very important issue and if in fact it has been present all the way back since version 7.5 it should have been taken care of by Steinberg.

KHS

Post by KHS »

It's most likely caused by having some high latency plugins running in the project, causing everything to be delayed to stay in sync.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Audient ID22 - Adam A7X - Adam Sub 7 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

KHS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:46 pm
It's most likely caused by having some high latency plugins running in the project, causing everything to be delayed to stay in sync.
Nope, I tested with just one track with audio, no plugins and the delay is there. Just sometimes when I click start the tool it's in sync but most of the times it's not.
Looks like a bug to me.

KHS

Post by KHS »

Did you check the ASIO driver buffer isn't set too high as that would also give you some latency.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Audient ID22 - Adam A7X - Adam Sub 7 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

KHS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Did you check the ASIO driver buffer isn't set too high as that would also give you some latency.
It makes no difference what the buffer is set to. I have an RME Fireface 802 and checked from down to 48 samples up to 2048 and it's exactly the same.
If I click on the icon to start the the tool let's say like 6 times, once it will be in sync and the other five times the audio is played before its corresponding position in the waveform.

Have you checked it? I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

By the way, the scrub tool works fine. It's the audition tool used in audio editor that's causing this out of sync issue.
Could anyone of you be so kind to check this? It's as easy as opening a wave file, with silent parts in the recording and check that this out of sync issue is also reproduced in your system (audio played before the colored scrolling bar goes over the waveform).
I really consider it an important tool fo my workflow and would like to have it working correctly.
Thanks in advanced.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

So, nobody else has this problem? Could any of you check please? I use to use this tool a lot in previous versions and miss it in my workflow.

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

It seems to work like it should here. I have a very old interface.

Have you tried disabling ASIO Guard in the Studio Setup menu?
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 pm
It seems to work like it should here. I have a very old interface.

Have you tried disabling ASIO Guard in the Studio Setup menu?
Yes I have, makes no difference. Maybe this is an issue caused by Windows 10. Hopefully Steinberg can check it and see if it is actually an issue.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

I have rechecked this issue and confirm that I have it independently of any settings I change. As I said befor it only happens in the editor window. In the main project window this play (audition) tool works perfectly all the time. It's in the editor window where I just can´t get the scroll to sync with the waveform. Maybe just one out of ten times I get it to sync. Does this really only happen to me?

planarchist

Post by planarchist »

Don't see it here on my Windows 10 Laptop which is my slower Windows 10 machine, even when using onboard soundcard. Looks to be in sync.

Unless you're talking about millisecond lags (like the latency which on this PC with onboard soundcard is 17mS each in and out).
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

My Cubase recorded songs here (also on most other streaming services).... https://open.spotify.com/artist/6rHmZY1IPskvtYL1Zzw6Vy

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

planarchist wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:46 am
Don't see it here on my Windows 10 Laptop which is my slower Windows 10 machine, even when using onboard soundcard. Looks to be in sync.

Unless you're talking about millisecond lags (like the latency which on this PC with onboard soundcard is 17mS each in and out).
I'm talking about 2 - 3 seconds lag. Strange thing is that it only happens in the editor window and not in the main track window. That's what has me puzzled.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

Steinberg, have you had a chance to check this? I wrote Steinberg Support about this issue but have had no reply so far.
This certainly remains an issue in my system.

kirkiliadis

Post by kirkiliadis »

Just I checked this problem, and it's solved in update 9.5.21

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Really ? It has been broken for years.
Will test when I get a little time, I hope it has been resolved.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

peakae wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:03 pm
Really ? It has been broken for years.
Will test when I get a little time, I hope it has been resolved.
I just updated to 9.5.21 and it's definitely still there. I didn't know this was a known issue, when I wrote about it nobody but you and kirkiliadis seemed to know about it.

My latest findings is that I have exactly a 1 second delay between the scroll play function and the waveform being the blue scroll in advance.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

Here it is pretty random, using the Play tool in the sample editor and clicking multiple times wil tricker playback from this exact location or somewhere else.
Martin was Kind to inform me that it had been reported.
Btw I have no problems using the Play tool in the arrangement, just in the editor.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

peakae wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:36 am
Btw I have no problems using the Play tool in the arrangement, just in the editor.
That's exactly what happens to me and as I said before the delay is 1 second.

MityVee

Post by MityVee »

Hello!
I can confirm and I am having the same said issues with the playback tool. This problem btw not only applies to the editor but also when skipping around in an audiofile in the media bay for example be it in the side panel or as an extra window.
This has been going on for a long time now and it's time Steinberg fixes this bug. Heard that other colleagues are having the exact same problem.
I do a lot of SoundDesign for Trailers and OnlineContent and am always skipping around in audiofiles picking only a little slice. For finding those I focus on transients but since "what you see is NOT what you get (and not what you hear either)" it always needs extra steps to make sure it's the right piece of audio I am looking for. This is time consuming and contra fast workflow.

PLEASE have this fixed in the next update. It's about time.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

I was in contact with Steinberg support about this issue, I even sent a video with the problem but never heard back from them.
I think it's important to point out that when there is a delay (not always present) it is exactly one second, at least in my case.
It has definitely not been solved in the most recent update 9.5.40.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

Could someone from Steinberg please confirm if this is a known issue?
The person I was in contact with from Steinberg said that this problem was unknown to him and had never been reported.
Please confirm if it is a known problem.

tovaldi

Post by tovaldi »

Is it possible that someone from Steinberg could confirm or simply check if this is actually a known issue?
For my workflow this is a very important tool that simply does not work correctly.
Thanks!

gamelany

Post by gamelany »

Exactly the same problem here ! Only in sample editor.
most of the time the behaviour is wrong, sometimes it is correct.

Return to “Issues”