Hot Brass Question

Post general topics related to HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 here.
James K

Hot Brass Question

Post by James K » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Am I correct that Hot Brass isn't programmed to key switches nor can be used with expression maps for articulations?
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM ,
Sierra Cubase Pro 10.0.20
Mavericks Cubase Pro 9.5.5
UR28M
CC121

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Re: Hot Brass Question

Post by Romantique Tp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 pm

The presets have no key switches by default, but you can program them yourself easily by using Halion 6. These key switches can automatically be turned into a expression map.

In both Halion and Halion Sonic, it's possible to use expression maps with it by loading presets in different channels, but you have to program the expression map manually.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

James K

Post by James K » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 pm

I've converted key switches to expression maps for articulations before however I'm not sure how to assign the Hot Brass to keyswitches after loading them to separate channels.

I'll see if I can find some instructions for doing that.

Thank you!
UR28M
CC121

James K

Post by James K » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 am

I still can't figure this out.

I see you can assign 2 articulations in the edit window of the Hot Brass Instrument L1 and L2.

However I am wondering are 2 articulations the limit for each individual instrument?
UR28M
CC121

misohoza

Post by misohoza » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi James,

The advice from Romantique Tp is correct.

If you use Halion Sonic the only option is to load different presets (articulations) to several slots and then create an expression map manually. But instead of sending note on messages (keyswitches), change the midi channel.
Hot Brass HS Expression Map.png
(661.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

With Halion 6 you can do the same but you can also create a program with keyswitches.

If you alter the script slightly you can make the sample selector load new layers without removing the old ones. Then add a Megatrig module to each layer and set up keyswitches. This method isn't very straightforward and it breaks some of the functionality. (Sample selector keeps adding new layers instead of swapping them) But you can import the keyswitches into Cubase and create expression map automatically.

I've attached examples for both Halion Sonic and Halion 6.
Hot Brass.zip
(396.26 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Win 10 Home, 64 bit, 8 gb ram,
Cubase Pro 9, Wavelab Pro 9, Halion 6, Dorico,
NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Ozone 7,
UR 44

James K

Post by James K » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:37 am

misohoza wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm
Hi James,

The advice from Romantique Tp is correct.

If you use Halion Sonic the only option is to load different presets (articulations) to several slots and then create an expression map manually. But instead of sending note on messages (keyswitches), change the midi channel.
Hot Brass HS Expression Map.png

With Halion 6 you can do the same but you can also create a program with keyswitches.

If you alter the script slightly you can make the sample selector load new layers without removing the old ones. Then add a Megatrig module to each layer and set up keyswitches. This method isn't very straightforward and it breaks some of the functionality. (Sample selector keeps adding new layers instead of swapping them) But you can import the keyswitches into Cubase and create expression map automatically.

I've attached examples for both Halion Sonic and Halion 6.
Hot Brass.zip

Thank you very much! I will try this out this evening.

Much appreciated!!! :)
UR28M
CC121

Return to “General”