FM

Post general topics related to HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 here.
yinonyahel

FM

Post by yinonyahel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Is it possible to do Frequency Modulation with Halion 6 ?
Cubase 8.52 , Mac pro , Orion 32+ , UAD Satelite octo , Moog , Rolands , Korg Kronos , Virus , Prophet , Neuman , Blue button , SSL , M1 , V76 and more ...

rlared

Re: FM

Post by rlared » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:11 pm

No it is not possible to do FM. You can't use the oscillators as modulation sources for other oscillators.

yinonyahel

Post by yinonyahel » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks
Cubase 8.52 , Mac pro , Orion 32+ , UAD Satelite octo , Moog , Rolands , Korg Kronos , Virus , Prophet , Neuman , Blue button , SSL , M1 , V76 and more ...

rlared

Post by rlared » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Actually let me somewhat revise my statement. I was looking through the Halion manual and one of the oscillator types in synth zone is "cross modulation", so you can get FM-like tones:

CM (cross modulation) provides a combination of two oscillators where a master oscillator is modulating the pitch of a slave oscillator (sine, triangle, saw, or square) at the rate of the audio sample. The Waveform parameter adjusts the pitch ratio between slave and master oscillator, resulting in a sound close to frequency modulation.

You can't change the modulator signal (I think it's a sine wave) but you can set the carrier to sine, triangle, or pulse. You can modulate the ratio with the LFO's but that's about it.

Return to “General”