HALion Sonic 3 vs HALion 6 information (HALion Sonic SE)

Hi Romantique,

Thanks again for the reply.

I am currently using SampleTank, and in all honesty I think it is quite good, simply because I can use the sounds without any effects and they sound fine, if a little bland.

Subjectively, would you say that the orchestral sounds in HALion 6 are higher quality or would they in any way complement IK without sounding out of place (Maybe you have used SampleTank)?

I’m fine for drums and basses (Toontrack & Spectrasonics respectively), and as I say Sampletank works but at the price SB is asking I’m finding it difficult to refuse so while I can probably live with IK, I am looking for more depth.

For example, I was using the basses of SampleTank and they allowed me to program most 4 and 8 notes but when I started using Trilian, I found I could include a greater amount of rhythmic detail, and with HALion I am hoping for a similar situation, in that I will be able to hear more details and thus write more complex pieces but if it’s all just ensembles then I guess I may not be as interested because synths and things; people are always releasing VST’s for that.

I am not a great programmer and would probably just use HALion Sonic 3 to start with (it is on special as well) but I am especially interested in the feature of exporting instruments for other users with HALion SE because even if the sounds are only marginally better than IK Multimedia, the fact that I can create libraries for other systems is very attractive and from what I have read SB have opened up their sound format for developers of other libraries including Kontakt.

In the past I believe HALion SE contained content that was actually recorded at a lower bit rate, but I assume that content is now obsolete.

Best,