Information on new Video Engine

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
TimoWildenhain

Information on new Video Engine

Post by TimoWildenhain » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Dear all,

here you can find more information on the new video engine, including formats and current and future functionalities:
New Video Engine in Nuendo 8

Please make sure to install the Nuendo 8.0.10 update:
Download Nuendo 8.0.10

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Mike S

Re: Information on new Video Engine

Post by Mike S » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 am

Hi Timo,

How far off is the Avid DNxHD® & DNxHR add on?

Mike
Mike
Nuendo 10.2 Win 10 64 Pro,i9-9900K,Asus TUF Z390 Plus, 16 G DDR4 RAM, NVS510 GUI, Intensity Pro Video ,WK ID Console, RME Fireface UFX, UAD-2.

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 am

Mike S wrote:Hi Timo,

Mike
Hi Mike,

July 12 is the DNxHD product release.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Davinzzie

Post by Davinzzie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks,
Timo
Hi Timo, since all the videos in my projects from the past 1,5 years are DNxHD, I have to say I am greatly dissapointed.
Why was this "license" not included from the beginning? And what do we have to pay for it? Normally I welcome every Nuendo upgrade with open arms and with a big smile from version 2.0. But now this feels like a to soon released version.

Since most of us are all professionals and depending on paying clients (at least I am) and for the past years Steinberg Nuendo was the most advanced DAW in my opinion, I cannot recommend the installation of N8 just yet. Don't be like AVID, please!!!

Also, the install was not seemless at all. It would have been so smart of Steinberg if they made a patch that transferred all the settings from N7 to N8, i.e the Control Room Settings, the Keycommands, the plugin presets, etcetera.

Cheers,
Vincent
Nuendo 8.3 /AVID DNxHD/Hr Licensed / Intel i9 7960X 64GB / VEP6 Machine: Intel Xeon 2x8 core (16 Cores) / 64GB Ram / Nvidia GTX 1080 / Samsung EVO 850 500x2 - EVO 850 1TB / RME Fireface 802 / Windows 10 / PSI A21-M x3 / SVS PB12-NSD / AXE FX II XL+ \m/ >.< \m/

MarcusStaffel

Post by MarcusStaffel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:24 am

I tried to play a 4k video (h.264) from my DJI Mavic to produce a soundtrack, but the video was only a still that only went on, when I pressed stop. Then the last picture at that stop position was displayed.
There is no proxy or something to speed up video-playback.
I thought Nuendo8 could handle video better. So I still have to create my own SD proxy video for playback.
Nuendo10, Cubase10, Dorico3, WaveLab10, Absolute4, Roli Seaboard, HB1 Breathcontroller

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Hey guys! Congrats first on the release!
If I could make a wish, I'd like to see support for the following codecs as well, sometime in the future:
AVCintra 100 & 200
XAVC
Thanks! :)
ASUS/Intel Z270 chipset - Core i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz - 32GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX, current driver
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI, current driver
AVID Artist mix, current driver
Windows 10

Asus Notebook Core i7 5500U 12 GB RAM
Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

seriallabstudios

Post by seriallabstudios » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Hey everyone! I have just updated from 6.5 to 8.0.10 and none of my .mov h.264 videos are supported. The information on the site mentions supporting .mov h.264. Any ideas? I may have to revert back to 6.5 as I am trying various video converters and file types and this is really holding up my work.

Thanks!

basicX

Post by basicX » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:41 am

TimoWildenhain wrote:

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks,
Timo
Hey Timo,
where can we get the 'DNxHD product'. The shop still misses any option to buy/download it.

all the best
Nuendo 3 - 10.1, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 3 - 11.3.1, RME UFX, AVID HD Native, AVID HD I/O, AVID I/O192 (Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix, Monitoring: Studio Technologie Model 74

Pro Audio broadcast post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

basicX

Post by basicX » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi imo,
the downlad link you provide us with to download the "Video Decoder für Avid DNxHD®" after the purchase is not working!
Could you please double check and let us know where to download the actual files.

thanks!
Nuendo 3 - 10.1, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 3 - 11.3.1, RME UFX, AVID HD Native, AVID HD I/O, AVID I/O192 (Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix, Monitoring: Studio Technologie Model 74

Pro Audio broadcast post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

hendrix97

Post by hendrix97 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 am

I really would like to know if a XDCam HD 50 codec is in the pipeline or not. Because if not we have to think about different workflows. If it is in the pipeline we are happy to wait and go around in the meantime.

hendrix97

Post by hendrix97 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 pm

a simple "yes" or "no" would be very welcome... a "we don't know, yet" is also fine ;-)

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

- deleted -
Last edited by Puma0382 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5, WaveLab Pro v10, Studio One v4.5.4, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:56 am

Hey, Steinberg R&D folks!
Sorry if i'm annoying, but I'd just like to take some time again to stress what a great selling point it would be if you would include MXF wrapping functionality in Nuendo - a "replace audio in video" for MXF op1a, so to speak... ESPECIALLY if you get it out before Pro Tools does... ;)
Windows 10

Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

sagigal

Post by sagigal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Heiner Einbier wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:56 am
Hey, Steinberg R&D folks!
Sorry if i'm annoying, but I'd just like to take some time again to stress what a great selling point it would be if you would include MXF wrapping functionality in Nuendo - a "replace audio in video" for MXF op1a, so to speak... ESPECIALLY if you get it out before Pro Tools does... ;)
If you want to easily replace audio in video, extract audio from any video, convert any video reference you get to a stable workable format, easily create small client review video combined with your mix that you can quickly send via email and more useful media handling stuff download ER Media ToolKit that was created especially for those sort of things.
https://audiospot.audio/audiospot-creativetools

Cheers
Sagi

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:52 pm

sagigal wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:45 pm
If you want to easily replace audio in video, extract audio from any video, convert any video reference you get to a stable workable format, easily create small client review video combined with your mix that you can quickly send via email and more useful media handling stuff download ER Media ToolKit that was created especially for those sort of things.

Cheers
And it works great.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 pm

sagigal wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Cheers
Looks interesting, I'll give it a spin next week and let you know what I think.
Thanks a lot! :)
Windows 10

Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

sagigal

Post by sagigal » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:57 pm

My pleasure guys,
Now with the new video engine in Cubendo and the lack of 'replace audio in video' this tool becomes more essential than ever.
Notice that it now (v1.2.46) warns you if your video frame rate is unstandardized and you can even 'force' different fps if needed (in settings window) plus in the MediaER App when you drop an audio file like aac (which is unsupported at the moment by Cubendo) you can instantly convert it into Wav 48khz/16 or 24-bit so you can import it into Nuendo/Cubase with no problem.
This is a great tool for any one who needs to deal with videos not just Cubendo users.
I'll be honored if you could feedback after you take it for a spin and of course spread the word if you like it :)
Be sure to watch the show and tell video to get all the basics faster and learn some hidden stuff on the way. excuse my foreign accent in the video Haha.
Sagi

cubass

Post by cubass » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi,

seems the new video engine has still bugs or is in work: had a video with a resolution of 3840 × 2160 cropped, so I couldn't see the whole picture and whats more serious I couldn't see the burned-in timecode from the production firm. For workaround, I just exported it with QT (Mac) to 1080p resolution, when I saw the whole picture.

In the manual wasn't a description of the file-formats, regarding to the information given in the link above, this resolution should have worked without problems ("supported max. resolution: 4096 × 2304 pixels (currently any resolution higher than Full HD will be cropped)").

And yes - really waiting for the export video including audio function.

Greetings.
Nuendo 8.x | WaveLab Pro 9.x | Universal Audio Apollo & x8 (TB3) | Nuage Master & Fader Unit | Avid Artist Transport (EuCon) | Kontakt, UVI, Spitfire Audio and more | NS-10m | Dynaudio BM5a mkIII | K2500X | ...

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 am

So it works exactly as described:
supported max. resolution: 4096 x 2304 pixels = it can play back your video
(currently any resolution higher than full HD will be cropped) = it will crop your video to full HD dimensions
full HD = 1920 x 1080 pixels

I get that not being able to display UHD stuff fully must be a bugger for you if you often work with it, but as they also state, they'll probably get around to it. I think so far they've done a great job. Having to develop an new video engine was not something of Steinberg's own choosing, and Apple's discontinuation of QT has been a PITA for a lot of us for many reasons.
And while a export video (or a re-wrap) function would be great, I suppose they're working on it, and I doubt any other market relevant DAW has one that would really satisfy.
cubass wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm
Hi,

seems the new video engine has still bugs or is in work: had a video with a resolution of 3840 × 2160 cropped, so I couldn't see the whole picture and whats more serious I couldn't see the burned-in timecode from the production firm. For workaround, I just exported it with QT (Mac) to 1080p resolution, when I saw the whole picture.

In the manual wasn't a description of the file-formats, regarding to the information given in the link above, this resolution should have worked without problems ("supported max. resolution: 4096 × 2304 pixels (currently any resolution higher than Full HD will be cropped)").

And yes - really waiting for the export video including audio function.

Greetings.
Windows 10

Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

cubass

Post by cubass » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Heiner,

yes, for that reason I wrote "the new video engine (...) is in work" - it was not a critic, it was just a little report for the developer (and perhaps other users who search for problems or irritations with the video engine) so they can see, that this feature is really used (perhaps more often than the new VR addition).

For my purpose the smaller resolution works fine (as I am a composer and knew to help me with converting it via QT), but you have to know that restriction as you normally take the material of the client, import it and start working right away without wondering where the clients burned-in timecode has disappeared. Thats the background, just an update on the video engine topic, no critic.

And yes, I like Nuendo and work with the Cubase platform since the first Win/Mac versions :D

Greetings.
Nuendo 8.x | WaveLab Pro 9.x | Universal Audio Apollo & x8 (TB3) | Nuage Master & Fader Unit | Avid Artist Transport (EuCon) | Kontakt, UVI, Spitfire Audio and more | NS-10m | Dynaudio BM5a mkIII | K2500X | ...

sagigal

Post by sagigal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 pm

cubass wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm
For my purpose the smaller resolution works fine (as I am a composer and knew to help me with converting it via QT), but you have to know that restriction as you normally take the material of the client, import it and start working right away without wondering where the clients burned-in timecode has disappeared.
QT conversion is so 2012, download ER Media ToolKit and you can convert multiple file (even with different resolution) to 1080p in one click, replace/extract/add audio in ANY video file. start enjoying life without worries :)

Nevertheless, looking forward for UHD support, more file formats support and export selection with both audio and video, that will be the day !
Sagi

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm

sagigal wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 pm
cubass wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm
For my purpose the smaller resolution works fine (as I am a composer and knew to help me with converting it via QT), but you have to know that restriction as you normally take the material of the client, import it and start working right away without wondering where the clients burned-in timecode has disappeared.
QT conversion is so 2012, download ER Media ToolKit and you can convert multiple file (even with different resolution) to 1080p in one click, replace/extract/add audio in ANY video file. start enjoying life without worries :)

Nevertheless, looking forward for UHD support, more file formats support and export selection with both audio and video, that will be the day !
Do you convert client´s videos to a type that cubendo likes more prior to loading them in your session? which is the best codec for smooth working?
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two slaves)

sagigal

Post by sagigal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Pablo1980 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm
Do you convert client´s videos to a type that cubendo likes more prior to loading them in your session? which is the best codec for smooth working?
I hardly ever use the client video, they send highly compressed (crappy) videos that aren't meant to be placed in DAW or NLE. But I do keep it safe because when I send them back to review my work instead of re-render everything I use MediaER app (part of ER Media ToolKit) in "Replace Audio" mode it doesn't re-render the video at all just replaces the audio stream in seconds, I can even Add my audio as additional audio stream, that way the client can switch between both the offline "sound mix" and my work to compare on the fly.

I always convert because I've found that Cubendo works very smooth with ProRes and because it's now so fast and easy, Plus, because I work with 1080p TV display and it happens a lot that clients send all kind of odd video resolution I always 'Force' video size to output at 1080p no matter what the input video was.
That way I benefit twice, once with smooth playback codec in my DAW (almost always ProRes Proxy for its small size) and the second fixed video size that never crops or display too small to see anything when I playback via my BMD playback card to TV.
Sagi

Christian van Caine

Post by Christian van Caine » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:57 am

sagigal wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 pm
Ah-zum! Thanks for the tip mon, was looking for something like this! After Effects does work, but it's pretty far from "one-click", and a lot can go wrong. Also can't deny that price!
https://abrokenlinemovie.blogspot.com/

Nuendo 10.2, Wavelab 9.5, Sound Forge Pro 12, Pro 24 III and Cubase 2.01/3.0 (Atari), full Adobe CS6-suite, Plugins from MAAT, Millennia, Eventide, Dolby, Weiss, Sound Toys, Izotope, SSL, and AudioEase to name a few.
Windows 10 Pro, Xeon 8-core, ASUS X99 E, Prism Sound Titan, Black Magic Intensity PCIe, Atari MEGA 4 STe with MIDEX+, every kind of hand-held (DPA/phone) known to man, Amiga 600 and a few 500, Commodore 64' and 128's. I am NOT getting into what I use on these, that would take a list of its own.
As much hardware gear, synthesizers, and sounding toys as I can possibly get my paws on. Including for the micro-computers.

Davinzzie

Post by Davinzzie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 pm

After the update to 2.1.0 and Nuendo 8.3 I am unable to play 50fps files. My main client exclusively uses 50fps footage. The workaround is to switch the project settings to 25fps and then at least the file will play, but I cannot edit frame accurately. Any suggestions?
Nuendo 8.3 /AVID DNxHD/Hr Licensed / Intel i9 7960X 64GB / VEP6 Machine: Intel Xeon 2x8 core (16 Cores) / 64GB Ram / Nvidia GTX 1080 / Samsung EVO 850 500x2 - EVO 850 1TB / RME Fireface 802 / Windows 10 / PSI A21-M x3 / SVS PB12-NSD / AXE FX II XL+ \m/ >.< \m/

Return to “General”