automatic envelope voice tool for ADR

I’m just talking about regular automation. Start playback with the “programme” track in automation write touch mode. When you reach a point where you have your “narrateur” just lower the fader. Automation will be written. When you reach the end of narration release the fader. Track will ‘punch out’ of automation write and return to 0dB gain change.

What I meant was that if you’re going to use the mouse to pencil these things in, and then double-check that they sound good by playing back your pencil-written automation, you might as well just automate it “manually” from the beginning, because you’re not going to save much time using the the mouse.

I generally don’t like people looking at changes like these using absolute values (dB). Far too often there are slight differences in the program material meaning that just because you lowered it by XdB last time doesn’t mean that will be appropriate this time. Since you have to check it by ear to verify it still works you might as well mix by ear to begin with.

But fair enough, here’s another way for you to get it done:

1. Place your program track in automation write
  2. Set your fill option in the automation panel to “loop” (or range… I forget)
  3. Set your automation to ‘preview’
  4. outline the range/loop above the narration audio, on the program track
  5. lower the fader in the inspector and look at the gain change below the fader
  6. Punch out on the automation panel

This way you should be able to punch one value over the fill range/loop and you’ll be able to see this value as you change the fader - or you can double-click on the value and type it in. As soon as you press “enter” the punch option should become available. You could even do this while playing back if you choose “latch” - because either when you stop or punch out manually it will write level change to the section you selected, the loop range.

Also, since this involves changing the automation parameters you can create a macro that does that for you. I have a macro that engages cycle, selects preview, selects fill to loop, and then starts playback. One key only. Very quick.

Only way I can think of to do that is if you can recall a punch from the punch list and have it fill to loop. You could possibly create a macro for it.