Trim mode problem 8.3

This happened when is was working in 8.3 using trim and touch.

To start, to end, loop, to punch, gaps not selected.

If I trim some automation then very quickly return to the same spot and do another pass then maybe hit stop (I thin my finger may have just touched the fader when I stopped) the automation from that point onwards gets trimmed by the level the fader is at from the point I hit stop at to the end of the project.

I am not in To End mode. The Freeze Trim mode does not seem to make any difference.

Here’s a short video of the problem Dropbox - File Deleted

It all happens quite fast but you can see I have a track with automaton and perform a trim on it.
I then undo the trim and do it again and you can see that after stopping the track level is now lower even though the white trim indicator says it shouldn’t be. When switch out of trim mode using a key command you can see the automation is now trimmed from current location to end of project.

Again, I am not in To End mode. The Freeze Trim mode does not seem to make any difference.

I can’t replicate this in 8.1.1

Confirmed.

Repro:

1. Create new project, create one audio track and open automation lane.
  2. Automation mode “Touch”, no other settings chosen.
  3. Start playback. Write any automation for a second or two. Stop playback.
  4. Enable “Trim” in automation panel.
  5. Start playback. Write for example a -10dB attenuation. Release fader.
  6. Look at automation line; it is now held at the level the fader was at the point of release to end. It’s easier to see when disabling “Touch”.

Trim also no longer has an effect on punching to loop IF there is already automation within the loop range.

Repro:

1. Create new project, create one audio track and open automation lane.
  2. Automation mode “Touch”, “Preview” and “Loop”.
  3. Create a range, then lower the fader 10dB. Preview should be “activated”.
  4. Press “Punch”.

Then;

1. Set automation mode “Trim”, “Preview” and “Loop”
  2. Lower the fader 10dB. Preview should be activated.
  3. Press “Punch”.

No change in loop range.

v8.3.0 build 259

It’s 2018… And we’re having problems yet again with the automation system…

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and confirm MattiasNYC!

Automation and VCAs are so broken in Nuendo it’s just embarrassing that this is a “professional” DAW.

It makes it hard to move forward that’s for sure

I think I’m going to keep bumping this thread until we get a response…

Good idea. I hate not being able to upgrade due to unreliable software.

For flip sake, why can they not solve these issues?

Or, why do they think it acceptable not to correct these issues?

I’m on mac and went through the steps Mattias suggested, working fine on my end guys

Are you on 8.2 or 8.3?

yes Nuendo 8.3

Do you have any pre-existing automation nodes before doing this?

New session, so no new nodes on either side, I tried it in an exciting mix session full of automation and also working fine.

Do you guys have any control surfaces attached that might be throwing this off?

no

Have been using the same control surface (artist mix) for years with no problems. It is now a problem in 8.3. Rolled back to 8.1.1 and the problem is gone. I can’t recreate it in 8.1.1 no matter how hard I try.

Isn’t that what trim was invented for? To trim existing automation?
I cannot believe they release another buzzword bingo game audio version and get the basics wrong again. :unamused:

++++++++

My friend had his Halloween party last weekend, but I couldn’t make it because I had a sore throat. That was too bad.

:laughing: … nice try, Mattias.

Thank you :wink: