Forgot the dongle - what are my options?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
Big K

Re: Forgot the dongle - what are my options?

Post by Big K » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:20 pm

I consider that standpoint as slightly starry-eyed...
Of course, there would be piracy and loss of revenue...and that would make Nuendo not any cheaper, I suppose.
As well as that, a load more of the bedroom setup competitors would come up which give you headache and
might make u think about the investments you've made in your studio and your further existence.
What makes the case for dropping a long year successful protection scheme against piracy and cracks ?
Just the enormous problem to carry a little dongle in a hard case with you when working out of studio?
Well, this is wailing on a very high level.
Peace, everybody should work the way he wants...

Servus, Big K
Nuendo 10, WaveLab 9.5, RME, UAD, PoCo, Win10/64 bit, PC i7 3930K, 16GB RAM, Intensity Pro, Melodyne, Spectrasonics, VSL, All Brainworx,
Genelec 5.1, Quested HQ 210, NS10s, sevaW lla, LAWO, Neumanns, Brauners, Sennheisers, Schoeps, Sony DASH3324S, 42 RUs of classic hardware, professionally build and designed studio acoustics. SB-User since Cubase 2.0, Nuendo 1.5 ...

Chewy Papadopoulos

Post by Chewy Papadopoulos » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Big K wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Just the enormous problem to carry a little dongle in a hard case with you when working out of studio?
Well, this is wailing on a very high level.
Enormity is relative. The little dongle doesn't stay in the hard case when working out of the studio. The hassle of dealing with dongle-related issues, be they breakage or loss or damage to a mobile computer, is potentially enormous.

Over the past five years I'm not proud of having lost at least one dongle (thank goodness I had developed a relationship with a Yamaha/Steinberg rep at NAMM who sped my license reassignment through); I've had three break on me while in service, and two laptops have lost USB ports (ok, they were getting old anyway, but that's beside the point) by dongles getting whacked by situationally unaware crew members. I do work with redundant systems, and have backup software in case of emergency. But that does not diminish the extreme (in the moment, enormous, even) hassle of having to deal with dongle-related issues when they occur in the field. There are plenty of prophylactic measures one can take to minimize the potential for these things to happen, but they still do. I'm pretty sure that the state of the art includes more versatile and less inconvenient means of piracy protection. I'd like to see something happen sooner than later. The idea is to enhance workflow, not complicate it. If you don't do a lot of remote work, then this may not be an issue for you. For those of us who do, it is a big deal.

Chewy
N10x, C8, Cubasis, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI, Satellite & SOLO/Laptop), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, MacPro 12 core 3.46GHz, 64 Gigs RAM OS 10.14.4; MacBook Pro 4 core, 16 Gigs, OS 10.13.6

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 pm

Anyway, no one is saying a software license shouldn't be implemented.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Dietz

Post by Dietz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:14 pm

JezCorbett wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:32 pm
Dietz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:04 am
I don't have to open a browser/activate/deactivate/wait for the WiFi/etc. ... everything simply works
I've never had to do that with any of my non-dongle software outside of the initial install.
[...]
Like I wrote above: I'm a well-booked freelancing engineer. I bring software to the studios I work in like I brought in two huge 19"-racks filled with gear back in the days. I install my software on plenty of different machines, but just once: I bring in the installer on a USB-drive and my dongles, and then I'm fine.

Without dongles, I would have to do the silly install/authorise/de-authorise/de-install dance _every_single_time_.
/Dietz

| audio | engineering | music | production |
| soundware | development |

| Nuendo versions from 5.5.6 to 10.0.2 | on various systems and platforms |
| Steinberg user since the 80ies | Nuendo user and forum member since 2000 |

Chewy Papadopoulos

Post by Chewy Papadopoulos » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Dietz wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Like I wrote above: I'm a well-booked freelancing engineer. I bring software to the studios I work in like I brought in two huge 19"-racks filled with gear back in the days. I install my software on plenty of different machines, but just once: I bring in the installer on a USB-drive and my dongles, and then I'm fine.

Without dongles, I would have to do the silly install/authorise/de-authorise/de-install dance _every_single_time_.
And what works for you is great for you. But we don't all work in environments as apparently safe as yours. Existing technologies support both working with and without dongles, making it potentially possible for all of us to be as comfortable with our working situations as you are. Nobody's suggesting walking backwards on piracy protection. Forward and better, yes. There are clearly enough of us who find the present system problematic to warrant working toward an improved set of options.

Chewy
N10x, C8, Cubasis, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI, Satellite & SOLO/Laptop), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, MacPro 12 core 3.46GHz, 64 Gigs RAM OS 10.14.4; MacBook Pro 4 core, 16 Gigs, OS 10.13.6

Dietz

Post by Dietz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:37 am

Chewy Papadopoulos wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 pm
[...]
And what works for you is great for you. [...]
This is what I was trying to explain to the poster I replied to. :-)
/Dietz

| audio | engineering | music | production |
| soundware | development |

| Nuendo versions from 5.5.6 to 10.0.2 | on various systems and platforms |
| Steinberg user since the 80ies | Nuendo user and forum member since 2000 |

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:51 am

-steve- wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 pm
Anyway, no one is saying a software license shouldn't be implemented.
Or that the USB key should be discontinued...
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:47 am

Or disconplemented imtinuesly.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:32 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:47 am
Or disconplemented imtinuesly.
:lol:

Return to “General”