Ambisonics - Control Room Downmix Presets missing??

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
DTSR

Ambisonics - Control Room Downmix Presets missing??

Post by DTSR » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

Going through steps to use Nuendo's proprietary ambisonic tools using a multi-channel speaker configuration, as outlined here:

https://steinberg.help/nuendo/v8/en/cub ... nitoring_t

Seems the full compliment of speaker configurations available via 'Audio Connections (F4) - Control Room' is not offered under Control Room Downmix Presets - currently it lists 12 of the 37 possible configurations.

Instruction No.2 "select the preset that matches your speaker setup" simply will not work unless you select one of the 'chosen 12'. If you chose any of the others using 'Audio Connections (F4) - Control Room they are not offered in the CR Downmix drop-down menu.

Implication is you can only monitor ambisonically using one of the 12 speaker configurations offered.

Any clarification on why this is so and if it is likely to change in future version?

Kewl

Re: Ambisonics - Control Room Downmix Presets missing??

Post by Kewl » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Ambisonics allows sort of limitless loudspeaker configurations. 12 is not a lot, but, then again, where to put the limit?

I suggest that you have a look at the AllRADecoder, part of the IEM Plug-in Suite. You can easily configure the AllRADecoder to your specific loudspeaker array.
MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 (Intel Core i7 @ 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM) / macOS 10.14.6 / Nuendo 8.3.20 / Metric Halo ULN-8 & ULN-2 / SoundField SPS200

DTSR

Post by DTSR » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Kewl wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm
Ambisonics allows sort of limitless loudspeaker configurations. 12 is not a lot, but, then again, where to put the limit?
thanks, yes indeed limitless, but in terms of the way Steinberg is doing things here, as usual, would be nice to understand their logic, because it's not clear why it suggests doing something that it doesn't actually allow you to do. Having to use control room routing to actually monitor the main output bus also seems convoluted to me.
Kewl wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm
I suggest that you have a look at the AllRADecoder, part of the IEM Plug-in Suite. You can easily configure the AllRADecoder to your specific loudspeaker array.
thanks for the suggestion, i have those, and pretty much all the free 3rd-party stuff available, i was really just going through what's doable working solely with Nuendo's current ambisonic tool-set when I stumbled on this issue, curious if it's by design of an oversight.

Kewl

Post by Kewl » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:33 pm

If Steinberg would license the advanced decoding algorithms from Blue Ripple Sound, Harpex, Aalto COMPASS, or the already mentioned IEM AllRADecoder, they could easily have adequate decoders for all the 37 loudspeaker configurations, and then some, in time for Nuendo 10.
MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 (Intel Core i7 @ 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM) / macOS 10.14.6 / Nuendo 8.3.20 / Metric Halo ULN-8 & ULN-2 / SoundField SPS200

Return to “General”