Welcome to Cubase 10

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
BAB Studio

Re: Welcome to Cubase 10

Post by BAB Studio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

kdogg456 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:03 am
This update is absolutely amazing, Mojave and Cubase 10 are running flawlessly on my Mac Pro 2013. The GUI lag is gone and everything is super responsive. Sure, I wish a few things such as better time warp algorithms could have made the list but it’s still an incredible update and I’m so happy they finally figured out the GUI lag issue. Thanks so much to all of the team for your effort on this!
Did you do a clean Cubase installation or did you install over a previous version of Cubase? I've got a fresh Mojave installation waiting for a fresh Cubase installation but I've been waiting to see an "official" announcement that the two are now compatible.
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS 10.14 (Mojave), 8GB RAM, 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 pm
Hi all,
Hi Matthias,

I'm missing the colour tool, as I've posted in the issues forum - it was really useful in certain project types and situations that are very separated event heavy.

In my situation as an example, working in 9.5, I was making snare samples and testing my outboard, printing all my results - different EQ settings, different compression settings, different combinations of each.... went pretty deep... and of coarse ended up with more sample variation events than probably what was needed - but I organized everything with detailed naming and into folders and subfolders and subfolders within subfolders, AND visual grouping using colours. Colour grouping process batches, colour grouping favourite results, etc, etc.

The most important thing about the colour tool, was the alt-modifier to sample colours that already existed in the project to reuse them which is how I was using it. Nothing was quicker than hotkey selecting colour tool, alt sampling a previously used colour right next to the event I wanted to colour the exact same colour and doing just that.

There is no way to replicate this workflow in 10. I have to open the colour menu each time, and sometimes it is even difficult to sometimes see which colour I used previously as some of them are 15% shades of each other. So, the new colour GUI and removal of colour tool is detrimental workflow killer in some situations. I imagine anyone who have separate event heavy work - film post, sample pack creators, game audio, forensic audio, commercial applications like cell phone audio banks, etc would use this colour tool this way.

The other problem created here, was the removal of the colour list and the new colour palette not showing the titles of the colours. I have titled my colours to represent instruments in the project - everything from different strings, to bass, guitar, synths, etc. Being forgetful and also OCD and colour coded every instrument, I sometimes forget which is which, for instance all the pieces of the drumkit I have different shades/grades of blue.

I would suggest either having it so the docked colour button at the top of cubase remains the colour list, and then the new floating colour palette can exist as it is - and or, let the user change between a condensed no title colour palette or an expanded titled colour palette.

This change was a major slow down for me. Thanks
Last edited by ResonantMind on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 pm

ResonantMind wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:39 pm
Hi all,
Hi Matthias,

I'm missing the colour tool, as I've posted in the issues forum - it was really useful in certain project types and situations that are very separated event heavy.

In my situation as an example, working in 9.5, I was making snare samples and testing my outboard, printing all my results - different EQ settings, different compression settings, different combinations of each.... went pretty deep... and of coarse ended up with more sample variation events than probably what was needed - but I organized everything with detailed naming and into folders and subfolders and subfolders within subfolders, AND visual grouping using colours. Colour grouping process batches, colour grouping favourite results, etc, etc.

The most important thing about the colour tool, was the alt-modifier to sample colours that already existed in the project to reuse them which is how I was using it. Nothing was quicker than hotkey selecting colour tool, alt sampling a previously used colour right next to the event I wanted to colour the exact same colour and doing just that.

There is no way to replicate this workflow in 10. I have to open the colour menu each time, and sometimes it is even difficult to sometimes see which colour I used previously as some of them are 15% shades of each other. So, the new colour GUI and removal of colour tool is detrimental workflow killer in some situations. I imagine anyone who have separate event heavy work - film post, sample pack creators, game audio, forensic audio, commercial applications like cell phone audio banks, etc would use this colour tool this way.

The other problem created here, was the removal of the colour list and the new colour palette not showing the titles of the colours. I have titled my colours to represent instruments in the project - everything from different strings, to bass, guitar, synths, etc. Being forgetful and also OCD and colour coded every instrument, I sometimes forget which is which, for instance all the pieces of the drumkit I have different shades/grades of blue.

I would suggest either having it so the docked colour button at the top of cubase remains the colour list, and then the new floating colour palette can exist as it is - and or, let the use change between a condensed no title colour palette or an expanded titled colour palette.

Yes. Exactly! Thanks for typing that out hehe!
The new color panel is a toy!!! It's like whoever made this don't use the color panel. I was hoping for an expanded color panel and better color management in Cubase after all and now we have this instead.
My reaction when I saw the toy panel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSXV0KR4PWY
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 pm

HowlingUlf wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 pm
ResonantMind wrote:
Hi all,
Hi Matthias,

I would suggest either having it so the docked colour button at the top of cubase remains the colour list, and then the new floating colour palette can exist as it is - and or, let the use change between a condensed no title colour palette or an expanded titled colour palette.

The new color panel is a toy!!! It's like whoever made this don't use the color panel. I was hoping for an expanded color panel and better color management in Cubase after all and now we have this instead.
:lol: lol'd multiple times

steinpac

Post by steinpac » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks guys for pointing this out (Colour Picker): Cubase 10 is now OFF my wish list and I shall continue using 9.5 until this has been resolved!
Cubase Pro9.5.41, Wavelab Pro9.5.30, VEP6, Waves, Plugin Alliance, HOFA, DDMF, Audio Vitamins and many more, using Steinberg MR816CSX on Win7SP1-64Bit, Intel i7-3930K, ASUS-P9X79PRO, 64GB-DDR3, ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970...

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for your input, sorry and glad I'm not the only one.

steinpac

Post by steinpac » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:02 pm

lookahere what I found:
'Cubase 10: Color Schemes of older versions cannot be used
The graphical user interface of Cubase 10 has been thoroughly reworked.
Therefore, unfortunately, Cubase 10 cannot inherit Color Schemes and Custom Color settings made with previous Cubase versions on a system.
Cubase 10 will open with its default Color Scheme, which can be customized in Cubase's preferences (Windows: 'File' menu, macOS: 'Cubase' menu) under 'User Interface'.
Furthermore, Color Schemes saved as part of Preferences Presets or Profiles with previous Cubase versions cannot be restored in Cubase 10.'
+
'Cubase 10: Possible crash after creating tracks, loading projects and other actions
Problem
Cubase 10 crashes when you try to
create a new track,
load an instrument,
open a project,
copy and paste events between projects or
access the lanes of a track.
Reason:
It turned out that the Auto Track Color Mode settings 'Use Last Applied Color' and 'Use Previous Track Color' can affect the stability of Cubase 10.
Solution:
This issue will be fixed with the next maintenance update for Cubase 10. Until then, please make sure you are using the default Auto Track Color Mode.
Start Cubase.
If you haven't disabled it, the Steinberg Hub window appears.
Do not open or create a project. Instead, click on [Cancel] to close the Steinberg Hub window.
Select 'Preferences...' from the Edit (Windows) resp. Cubase (Mac) menu.
Go to Event Display ▸ Tracks ▸ Auto Track Color Mode.
Select 'Use Default Track Color'. This is the default setting which is active when Cubase is being started the first time.
If Cubase 10 still seems to be unstable after you've switched to the default Auto Track Color Mode, please refer to the general troubleshooting guide for Cubase and follow the instructions on how to initialize preferences'
+
'Cubase 10: Older Project and MixConsole window layouts will be discarded
Due to technical changes, unfortunately, Cubase 10 cannot inherit layout settings for the Project and MixConsole window made with previous Cubase versions.
Therefore, both Project and MixConsole window will open with a default configuration. For example, this affects the visibility of Zones and Tabs as well as width and height of Zones.
Projects saved with versions prior to Cubase 10 will be opened with a default window layout. The original window layout saved with the project will be discarded.
The status of Zones including selected Tabs is being stored whenever a project is being closed or saved. Next time a new empty project is being created or a project is being opened, the last applied layout settings are being used.
As a rule of thumb: The Zone setup used recently in Cubase 10 is the one that will be restored.'

This seems to make it clear, to those of us who have (preciously) named Colours for our Tracks etc., that Cubase 10 should be treated as a new/er DAW and also to wait for next maintenance update, until one commits, if, indeed, one is.
Cubase Pro9.5.41, Wavelab Pro9.5.30, VEP6, Waves, Plugin Alliance, HOFA, DDMF, Audio Vitamins and many more, using Steinberg MR816CSX on Win7SP1-64Bit, Intel i7-3930K, ASUS-P9X79PRO, 64GB-DDR3, ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970...

Tarquam

Post by Tarquam » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Dear Steinberg

WHY THE F*** DO YOU EVEN RELEASE THIS UNFINISHED SOFTWARE?? Don't you have your own beta testers? We need to work, not test your crappy builds, AND EVEN PAY FOR THEM!

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Tarquam wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 pm
Dear Steinberg

WHY THE F*** DO YOU EVEN RELEASE THIS UNFINISHED SOFTWARE?? Don't you have your own beta testers? We need to work, not test your crappy builds, AND EVEN PAY FOR THEM!
I'm not sure that this is the level of discussion that we should wish to sink to. It devalues your argument to the point where it would dismissed out of hand. There are many things that have annoyed me, but being civil gets your voice heard.

I did not use the colour much in previous versions as when importing the Dawlabs colour scheme it was a long horizontal line of colours that stretched of the screen. I can now use it much more easily in a nice rectangular window. I do agree about the colour tool.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

Magnus_N

Post by Magnus_N » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 pm

I am very pleased with C10. However, I use Cubase only for audio, never any midi and such related functions. For my purposes, C10 is nearly perfect.

/Magnus
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9.5, Windows 10, RME HDSP 9632, i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHz, 32 GB RAM

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:41 pm

ResonantMind wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 pm
HowlingUlf wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 pm
ResonantMind wrote:

Hi Matthias,

:lol: lol'd multiple times
I've changed my mind! It works and it's the best tool for color coding Tracks and Parts in the Project window hitherto.
It kind of works as before but the displayed colors you can set up like a color picker in a graphics program.
In the edit dialog you can open a color, CTRL+C to copy it and paste it in somewhere else.
You can also drag and drop colors from one place to another.
Giving the colors names you can jump from row to row with the TAB key.
It's actually really fast and efficient and I've now created about 30 rows of 8 colors
Each row has an instrument name or something similar, and I have a base color in the first box of 8.
Then it's easy to drag and drop that color in the next color box and just push it to be a little darker and keep doing that until the row is filled.
It has nothing to do with music but if you're into this kind of *flower* and can't help yourself it has been an improvement in Cubase 10!
After that I have a glorious pallette to paint my Tracks with!!! :D
Gothenburg, Sweden

dcleff5

Post by dcleff5 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 pm

I upgraded to Cubase Elements 10 version specifically for the VST Transit feature, but its not available.
Why is this? :?: :!: :(
Cubase Elements 10
Hp ZBook Workstation G3
Core i7, 16Gb
Windows 10

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:55 pm

dcleff5 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 pm
I upgraded to Cubase Elements 10 version specifically for the VST Transit feature, but its not available.
According to the comparison chart, VST Transit in included in Elements. Can you be more specific?
You have to set it up and register your license in MySteinberg.
Maybe this helps?...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjfgMt ... e=youtu.be
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 pm

dcleff5 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 pm
I'm on Pro but the installers should be the same, so ...
There is a separate *.msi installer file in my download for the VST Transit called "...\Installer\VST_Transit_64bit.msi" ... of all things !
Maybe you can run your Cubase installer program again and just check to see if the VST Transit is installed and install it from there if you need to.
Or if that won't help you can maybe run the *.msi as it is and install that?
Gothenburg, Sweden

beanstalk40

Post by beanstalk40 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 am

silhouette wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:45 pm
Tarquam wrote:
Dear Steinberg

I'm not sure that this is the level of discussion that we should wish to sink to. It devalues your argument to the point where it would dismissed out of hand. There are many things that have annoyed me, but being civil gets your voice heard.

I did not use the colour much in previous versions as when importing the Dawlabs colour scheme it was a long horizontal line of colours that stretched of the screen. I can now use it much more easily in a nice rectangular window. I do agree about the colour tool.
So the dawlab color scheme works ok in C10?
Machine 1 - WIN 7 x64, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Intel Core i7 4790k, Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H, 16GB RAM, EMU 1820M

Machine 2 (laptop) - WIN 8.1 x64, Cubase 9.5 Pro, HP Envy J111TX, Core i7 4700MQ, 8GB RAM, Audient ID4

nshtain

Post by nshtain » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:39 am

beanstalk40 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 am
silhouette wrote:
Tarquam wrote:
Dear Steinberg

Working here.
| iMac 5k i7 | OS X 10.14.1 | Cubase 10.0.5 | Genelec 8040a | Sennheiser HD650 | RME Babyface Pro |

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:52 am

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Thurisaz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 pm
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Both requests are on our to do list. But I cannot make any statements about future releases.
Well, I'm one of those who think that Cubase became more Audio and Lame composers, and electronic music producers oriented... Seems that really needed things for real music composing are somehow abandoned... There is only one real improvement for the film music composers...
Many times I have asked about improvements in the following areas:

1. The Score Editor needs huge improvement, cause it looks and works like stone age tool. I gave many good examples with Sonic Scores' - Overture 5.5 and Logic Pro X - Score Editor...
1.1 The Score Editor needs totally re-organized tool panels, nicer looking notes, etc.... Option to switch between MIDI mockup dependency and independence /in order to have properly looking notes with no affect on the humanized playback of the MIDI/.
Well, in Cubase we don't need Engraving tools... But surely we need Fully functional Score Editor which can bring us much faster workflow.

2. Expression Maps... also needs huge improvement for faster and easier mapping... like direct expressions, articulations and techniques mapping - exists in Overture 5.5
2.1 The range оф expressions, articulations and techniques symbols in Cubase is very limited and needs to be extended.
2.2 The expressions, articulations and techniques symbols, and text must look normally like in any Notation program...

3. Multiple Library patches into single Midi Track/Instrument... For example Violins 1 in Kontakt... Would be nice if we can load all available patches with techniques, articulations and expressions into single Kontakt instance and use them in single Midi Track, just like in the Score Sheet
At the moment the only easier and faster way is to create separate MIDI track per library patch.... But this is terrible way if have to Export the project import it into Notation Software like Dorico, Overture, Sibelius, Finale...

All these 3 main points above are connected to each other.....

At this stage The Score Editor and the Expression Maps are kind of useless features. They are much more distractable than helpful, because so much tech work is needed...

Looooong time I haven't seen any noticeable improvement in this direction... I've seen that Dorico implementing the same useless Expression Maps...

Greetings :-)
We hear you. A couple of weeks ago we visited several TV/movie composers to collect their feedback and discuss the future direction. There will more coming in the next versions.
Dorico SE integrated into Cubase, and then whoever also buys Dorico, features full integration into Cubase just like ARA2 can integrate Melodyne

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:30 am

beanstalk40 wrote:
silhouette wrote:
It does for me and actually works a lot better. I got a horizontal string of colour the went off the screens in 9.5 in 10 there is an elegant rectangular window. I will also investigate what HowlingUlf was talking about as that sounds right up my street - so thank you for that :idea: :D .
It seems that Steinberg has completely updated the colour handling to the point where colours cannot be imported correctly from previous versions.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

ResonantMind

Post by ResonantMind » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:44 am

silhouette wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:30 am
beanstalk40 wrote:
silhouette wrote:
It does for me and actually works a lot better. I got a horizontal string of colour the went off the screens in 9.5 in 10 there is an elegant rectangular window. I will also investigate what HowlingUlf was talking about as that sounds right up my street - so thank you for that :idea: :D .
It seems that Steinberg has completely updated the colour handling to the point where colours cannot be imported correctly from previous versions.
My colours transfered but maybe that is because they were saved in the project. I suggest saving a 9.5 project with your colour palette and opening that project in Cubase 10, then in Cubase 10 open up your palette box, go to the customize colours thing, and then open the options box at the bottom there and 'save current set as program defaults'

beanstalk40

Post by beanstalk40 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Great... Thanks for the replies!
Machine 1 - WIN 7 x64, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Intel Core i7 4790k, Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H, 16GB RAM, EMU 1820M

Machine 2 (laptop) - WIN 8.1 x64, Cubase 9.5 Pro, HP Envy J111TX, Core i7 4700MQ, 8GB RAM, Audient ID4

steinpac

Post by steinpac » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Cheers all: great to hear of 'workaround' re: colours. So Transport bar is apparently very long, if all functions are open and there is a reported instability regarding Auto Track Color Mode, so all in all looking okay? I have downloaded it and will try out on separate partition.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 am

I have 200+Mbps download speed and this Download assistant thing is crap!

Is your server so slow that it takes 5 hours from your site?

Just venting.. Come on guys. really?
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

nshtain

Post by nshtain » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 am

jimmys69 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 am

For me, speed was about 5 Mbps
I have 300 Mbps
| iMac 5k i7 | OS X 10.14.1 | Cubase 10.0.5 | Genelec 8040a | Sennheiser HD650 | RME Babyface Pro |

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:19 am

Can't remember my exact speed download but it was pretty quick, between 5-10 mins all in and the downloader worked fine.

C10 has been a pretty mixed bag to be honest. Overall, pretty disappointing. The horrific CAN 13042 is still not fixed so modular template working is still impossible. Offline processing has vanished, and DOP can't replace plugins like iZotope's Connect - a big step backwards. The time alignment is great in theory and sometimes works and all too often doesn't. Another non-fan of the clumsy Transport Bar which currently doesn't even have metronome on / off on it (how on earth did THAT happen?). Variaudio 3 is welcome, good to be able to use all cores in Windows and DOP - when it works - is nice, but I don't think this makes up for the failings.

C10 is a release that feels like it has potential, but is currently something of a mess, and feels VERY rushed to the point of being positively unfinished. Maybe by the summer we'll have something properly usable, but hoping the silliest bugs get fixed sooner than that.
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:39 pm

jimmys69 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 am

Lucky old you! My download speed is .2 mbps and it would have taken me more than 4 days to download it if I wasn't able to go round a friends. 5 hours would be a dream for me!

Return to “General”